New
Find
Notify
Tools

flying and caliber limits
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking to build a bigger hammer, and trying to decide on caliber. One thing that occured to me is restrictions on what the airlines will allow. I know that often what is legaly the limit and what the actual practice is can be 2 different things. Are the airlines limting guys to 500 and down or can we go bigger? I know I saw something about this a while back but can't remember where now.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the guy i shared a camp with in Moz 2 weeks ago had traveled with a 505 Gibbs with no problems- right Brad?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13177 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know the .50 caliber restriction has been changed, I believe it is now .75. Butch Searcy showed me a new guideline for U.S. travel restrictions, and all big Nitro Express calibers such as 500 NE, 577 NE, 600 NE and 700 NE would be allowed.

I am planning to take my 500 NE SXS and a 505 Gibbs on future hunts and maybe even 600 OK if my masochistic personality persists.

No problem with any large caliber big bores for sporting purposes.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Righto Jerry, I have been to Africa 3 times, 3 different countries with my Gibbs and no one has ever looked twice (other than the animal it hit of course). That reminds me, does anyone know how to post a video, I finally got the video to play of me greasing that hippo with the Gibbs Jerry, damn it looked like we had a good time doing that. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. I remember it being a topic that was kind of up in the air for a while, and never heard the outcome. I'm pretty well down to 2 or 3 calibers.

.458 Lott - already have the reamer from building one for a customer a while back.

.500 Jeffrey - It's a classic hammer fits well with my other standbys as classics, .375 H&H and 6.5x55, Just has sole for lack of a better description.

.550 Magnum of .550 Express - largest thing I see as being practical to put in the action I'm using.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So is it possible to take my 50 bmg next time to africa. For some reason I thought it wasn't but I don't know for sure.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The owner of www.heymusa.com explained to me it's the NAME

of the cartridge that makes the problem and NOT the actual bullet

diameter. He explained the 500 NE or 500 A-Square for example

were both legal to take out of the country, both using .510"

diameter bullets, but the 505 Gibbs was unlawful even though it

uses smaller .505" diameter bullets BECAUSE OF IT'S NAME !!!

{dopey bureaucrats at work as usual Roll Eyes...}[the flying part didn't

matter, it's a law on the books at the federal level about what a

person can take out of the country, even temporariliy, for for a

hunting trip or shooting competion]

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470drshooter:
Butch Searcy showed me a new guideline for U.S. travel restrictions, and all big Nitro Express calibers such as 500 NE, 577 NE, 600 NE and 700 NE would be allowed.

I would like to see that if you can get a copy. I sounds like it deals only with the transportation of firearms domestically.

Regarding international travel (for Americans) and to my knowledge, the Code of Federal Regulations has not changed. This is the Federal law that dictates what you can and can not carry out of the country (and the requirements that Jack and I discussed.)

The federal code is obviously different than what the airlines will allow or don't allow for domestic travel, but the following is important for Americans traveling to Africa.

CFR TITLE 22, International Traffic In Arms Regulations
PART 123-LICENSES FOR THE EXPORT OF DEFENSE ARTICLES

§ 123.17 -- Exports of firearms and ammunition.
(c) District Directors of Customs shall permit U.S. persons to export temporarily from the United States without a license not more than three nonautomatic firearms in Category I(a) of § 121.1 of this subchapter and not more than 1,000 cartridges therefor, provided that:
(1) A declaration by the U.S. person and an inspection by a customs officer is made;
(2) The firearms and accompanying ammunition must be with the U.S. person's baggage or effects, whether accompanied or unaccompanied (but not mailed); and
(3) They must be for that person's exclusive use and not for reexport or other transfer of ownership. The foregoing exemption is not applicable to a crew-member of a vessel or aircraft unless the crew-member declares the firearms to a Customs officer upon each departure from the United States, and declares that it is his or her intention to return the article(s) on each return to the United States. It is also not applicable to the personnel referred to in § 123.18.

§ 121.1 -- General. The United States munitions list.
Category I-Firearms
*(a) Nonautomatic, semi-automatic and fully automatic firearms to caliber .50 inclusive, and all components and parts for such firearms. (See § 121.9 and §§ 123.16-123.19 of this subchapter.)

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to see that if you can get a copy. I sounds like it deals only with the transportation of firearms domestically.

This is the thread that deals with ammo restrictions.

It refers to this DOT page

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote