Find
Notify
Tools

Big mature eland
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Where would you go for a busy faced blue bull in RSA?

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I took this one in June this year north of Upington near the Kgalagadi Park. My son also took a nice one a couple hours north of Kimberly.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Musina, Alldays area, in the mopane

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
There are very few areas in South Africa where eland can be hunted under free range conditions. Any one of these would be a good choice. Concessions bordering on Kruger National Park and few areas of the Drakensberg comes to mind. [Remember an eland jumps over a 4'6" cattle fence easier than a guinea fowl flies over it!]

All other eland hunting will be behind high fences. Now, many, if not the most, of the high fenced properties are used almost exclusively for trophy hunting by foreign clients. Naturally the "good" hunting outfitters have many clients, and therefore there is considerable pressure to hunt an eland as soon as it can be more or less described as a trophy. So here the chances are slim for a really old bush-headed blue bull.

Your best bet may be to post a request in the proper forum and ask hunting outfitters if they have newly acquired hunting concessions which were formerly used only by local [or so-called "biltong"] hunters. It is a fact that many high fenced properties who re-introduce eland may start with a small herd of a few cows and a bull. For many years there would be a complete embargo on hunting eland, and during this time the original bull(s) may grow old and into a proper trophy.

I know for a fact that at present there is not a single really old trophy eland bull on all the concessions where I hold the proper hunting rights - so I cannot now make an offer. Mad But just as I know that I cannot offer one, there are probably a large number of hunting outfitters who know that they can! tu2

Remember, it pays to advertise! Wink

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alldays in the Mopanes will be great place to start I AGREE! We shoot some real monsters each year.

Phillip du Plessis
www.intrepidsafaris.com
info@intrepidsafaris.co.za
+27 83 633 5197
US cell 817 793 5168

Posts: 402 | Location: Alldays, South Africa | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTREPID SAFARIS:
Alldays in the Mopanes will be great place to start I AGREE! We shoot some real monsters each year.

+1
Plenty of nice farms in the alldays area!

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
East Cape Eland, fair chase on 40 000 acres over 200 Eland. We are spoiled for choice on big bulls.
PM me for more details

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, that's on my list as well. I've seen plenty, but usually on Buffalo hunts.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote