New
Find
Notify
Tools

How's your rifle finished?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am having a 375 built. The barrel is Stainless steel. I can have it finished with a teflon coating which is dark. I think I will forget the teflon and have it finished in a satin bead blasted look.

How do you all finish your rifles and why?

Regards, PG

Posts: 153 | Location: Riverside, CA Lake Havasu, AZ | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robar's NP-3 finish is the best there is for stainless. It's dull, it's basically rust-proof, it's so slick you almost don't need bolt lube, it doesn't wear off.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bead blasted stainless would be an awesome look...

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Bill is right, Robar's NP-3 is the absolute best finish available for stainless steel. My old .300 Win. Mag. has a receiver finished in NP-3, and it has stood up to everything, from Alaska to Africa. I've had electroless nickle and hard-chrome chip and flake, Teflon peel, etc. None have worked as well as NP-3.......

All of my current hunting rifles, though, feature blued metalwork and painted fiberglass stocks.......

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stainless is not totally rustproof, but close enough that most folks don't bother with any exterior finish to "protect" it, just a little discreet use of oil. Since NP3 is also a silver color, I personally wouldn't bother with it. If you want a dark color, Robar makes Rogard which is black (or any other color you want) but not as durable as NP3.

Or, some folks who want a black gun just use semigloss enamel on the barrel

Posts: 153 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 07 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Not quite the same, but I have an 870 Express that a friend spray painted with semi-gloss or flat black Rustoleum then dobbed green Rustoleum for a "camo" effect. It has lasted for years with only a few places needing testing. Its not going to win any beauty contests but it is effective and durable.

You might also consider bluing it, try contacting John Noveske as he offers that service. He posts here as jnrifleworks

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I use flat black engine paint-it holds up under high temperatures better than any other kind of paint.

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
I may try that on a 20 ga. 870 Express that needs the treatment. Thanks. It might also hold up to oil a little better also.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote