Find
Notify
Tools

Mozambique Outfitters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted
I am really interested in hunting Moz and would like to solict the AR pool for names of good quality companies currently operating in Moz. for a possible 08 hunt for buff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Posts: 680 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Hi Wes, one of our Outfitters offers Buff hunts (plus Sable and other PG). Hunts start at 7 days and up. If you would like to contact him just PM or email me and I'll put you in touch with him. Good hunting, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Wesley

We do hunting safaris mainly in Mozambique, including Buffalo. Have a look at the web site and send me an e-mail with what you need to know.

Johan

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mozambique can be/is a minefield of potential stuff ups and I'd strongly recommend you only consider working with a company that is well established there and knows exactly what they're doing...... Bahati is one of the best operations you could consider.....

One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Contact 500 Nitro. I think his email address is on every post he makes. He is one of the good guys.
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I should have also added that I'd recommend you stick to hunting one of the coutadas as the other areas lost all their quota a few months ago..... whether they got anything back I don't know. My guess is that this happened because the Govt & Game Dept are trying to clean up their act in the hope that the USF&WS will reconsider their stance on Mozambican ivory etc...... but that's only this man's guess.......

one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
I believe Charlton McCallum Safaris is offering some hunts in Mozambique as well.

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Mozambique can be/is a minefield

Seems there were some very interesting pictures of piles of shells/mortars that were posted a year or so ago...perhaps Terry Carr posted??

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
That was a metaphorical minefield as in minefield of stuff ups...... not a minefield of mines...... I believe most of those were washed away in the 99 floods. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
That was a metaphorical minefield as in minefield of stuff ups...... not a minefield of mines...... I believe most of those were washed away in the 99 floods. Wink

Steve

I guess the rest exploded near Beira in 2003 and a few weeks ago outside Maputo.

Read the report at http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/RWB.NSF/db900SID/KHII-6ZP859?OpenDocument

Why do they stockpile the stuff??

Johan

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
At the risk of going off topic, the UK still has stores of weapons from WWII. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Wesley

Mozambique is not more a minefield than other countries; you have to do your homework! The biggest problem on Mozambique is that there is not enough information freely available and it is one of the country’s lesser known to the public. Mozambique is a fantastic hunting destination and offers, in a lot of ways, comparable or better hunting than other countries that are in high fashion at the moment. You definitely will be as close as you can get to old Africa. Mozambique is political stable, secure and has a very friendly laidback population. Beautiful beaches, excellent food terrible roads and a lot of red tape, and no one is on time!

Hunting offers and hunts conducted by non-legal PH’S & outfitters cause 98% of all problems.(Minefields)

If you do your research and make sure you deal with an official operator you will not have any problems. Communicate with your outfitter tell him what you looking for how you would like to hunt, ask him how many days you need to do the hunt you want not get hang up on 5 or 7 day fixed package deals, one or two extra days can make a big different for very little extra cost I see this every year that clients whish they had a extra day or two to take some extra animal or just enjoy the area.

Research - Ask – Listen – Filter – Communicate – Think, and start from the beginning again, then go and enjoy your hunt you won’t be sorry!

In Mozambique we got only 4 possible type of location on which a foreign client can hunt legally!

1.) Official Hunting Concession called Coutada’s in Moz. This are the Coutadas, 4,5,6,7,9,10,11,12,13,16 for a total of only 10. Not all are operating, and vary on quality /species.
2.) You got then the hunting blocks A, B, C, D1, D2, and E around the Niassa game reserve.
3.) You got 2 hunting blocks on the south bank of Cahora Bassa dam, Daque and Bawa
4.) Then you got licensed Game Farms which have a official quota for Tourist / Safari hunting from DNAC there are only 5 listed on the official quota for 2007 they are, Mazunaf in Sofala province, Sabie Game Park in Maputo province, Mahimba game farm in Zambezi province, Negomane safaris in Cabo Delgado province, and Mazin iijele lda. this is a croc farm and only got a quota for crocodile (cites export)

Select one of this areas then you make sure that whoever offers you a hunt in one of this areas produces a letter from the leaseholder / owner confirming that he has the authorization to sell and conduct hunts on this area and that for the species you want the leaseholder got a quota.
Hunting quotas are no secret and get published in the local newspaper any concession holder gets a copy of all quotas. If you not sure about a offer contact the department in Maputo directly ask questions on AR or by PM. If you want a copy of the quotas for 2007 PM me for 2008 they only will come out early next year.
Have fun

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
freischuetz

This is a very good Info what you posted....
I am mainly Interested in Niassa Puffer Zone Ele hunting. The shot every year very BIG ones there. One day i will go there.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I `ll follow this thread closely, since I want to try Moz myself in a couple of years..
What are you trying for except buff?

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Kevin Robertson(Doktarii) is starting in Mozambique and that can also be an fine tour ,ill find the webpage soon

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Jumbo Moore is operating in Moz and George Hallamore is PHing there for him. I suspect George may move all of his hunting there next year. He told me that the elephants in northern Moz are "BIG".

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by freischuetz:

Research - Ask – Listen – Filter – Communicate – Think, and start from the beginning again, then go and enjoy your hunt you won’t be sorry!

I think this is the best advice I've ever seen written here on AR!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wesley - I'am booked in '08 with J.P. Kleinhans Safaris for buff/croc in the Mahimba Concession. Check his website: jpkleinhanssafaris.com

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumbo's got a great area in moz., but you can't import ele's from mozm to the u.s., plus I'm still waiting for him to get the paperwork done on the ele i shot with him in zim over 2 years ago.

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
freischuetz

This is a very good Info what you posted....
I am mainly Interested in Niassa Puffer Zone Ele hunting. The shot every year very BIG ones there. One day i will go there.

Mboga

Thanks.
Niassa got without doubt big elephants but there are limited and with the opening of hunting the numbers will dwindle after all, not every elephant carry’s the genes to develop big ivory. Niassa society implemented an elephant hunting and monitoring program to maintain sufficient good genes in the elephant population. How successful this will be? We have to wait and see and only the next generations of elephant hunters will know if this was the right approach. The problem is multifold a.) the big bulls are not staying with the breeding herds but only visiting from time to time to do their job so you must assume that even single bulls is still breeding till there a to weak to fight against the younger bulls. bSmiler shooting younger good bulls is also questionable because how would one know if he carry’s the genes of a big bull? bewilderedWe generally work on a 0.75% trophy off take rate on elephants. This means you have to have 124 elephants in the same trophy class (lbs) for each one taken off in the same area! Any thing shot above this will reduce the resources (breeding stock) and eventually we will run out of big tuskers.

Take the average size of a hunting block in Niassa of about 3000km/2 or 300 000hectare to take 2 elephant in the 80lbs class you would have to have 250 80lbs elephants in the area or 1 on each 12km/2 or 1200hectare I do not believe that you will find any area with this density of 80lbs elephants anywhere in Africa. stir

However there are new areas which produce for a couple of seasons big elephants but only because they have not been hunted for a long time, or there a located next to parks and they got shot whilst moving across the boundary. For normal hunted and well manage areas aspect only every couple of years to produce an exceptional trophy elephant.

This why with hunting big elephants the selection of the area operator and luck is a major factor. So with each year waiting for USFW to permit the import of elephant trophies from Mozambique the chances that you will get one of big ones is reduced.

Sorry but I can’t understand the arrogance of USFW to tell an independent country with an CITES approved Quota for elephants that they can’t export these CITES legal trophy’s to the USA? thumbdown
After all, we talking of only 40 elephants from 10 000 to 18 000 population? (Figures vary depending on who to believe)

But hunting and poaching overall is only a part of the problem elephant population facing the loss of habitat and human population expansion are the biggest threat to the survival of elephants in the wild.

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
freischutz,

I suggest that you also factor in age on your off take calculations. Bulls over 50 years of age probably have a life expectancy of less than 10 years. I believe 65 years is considered about max for elephant bulls. These bulls have already left their genes in the population and as they age they are less able to compete with younger bulls for mating rights. I think your off take of bulls 50+ years can be safely increased above your 0.75% rate. age may well be a better criteria than tusk weights, if you can get the clients to go along with it.

As for the USFWS being arrogant please consider that they are interested in the over all health of the populations that they approve for importation. In most cases when the USFWS will not approve an import quota it is because the USFWS does not believe that the applying country has sufficient population data, a scientifically valid management plan or has effectively reduced poaching levels. If the applying country can produce the above plans data comparable to those produce by Zimbabwe, South Africa and Botswana they will likely approve importation. The same recently occurred in the importation of Marco Polo sheep from some countries. I suggest that the safari industry in Mozambique get together with the Moz wildlife and Parks to see if you can help them get their data and plans up to snuff.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can import elephant to greeny europe and canada, and if cites allows export from Moz and the US is a signatory,.......then to hell with USFWS. They could easily allow it. They are completely infiltrated with bunny huggers. But do not take my word for it. Talk to them next year at SCI, and make up your own mind. Also look at how they handle Elephant imports from Cameroon. Same thing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To Wesley's original question. Barry Duckworth's Mokore Safaris has had Coutada 9 in Mozambique for several years now. The area is basically a million acres and nearly uninhabited. Full time anti poaching and presence in the area has made the hunting better every year. Barrie now has a long time lease on the area, has established a permanent camp and put in several bore holes. Hunting has produced some excellent trophies including buffalo to 43", 31" nyala, some truly huge eland and big kudu. The area also has some animals not found in Zim like Lichenstein's hartebeest, suni and red duiker.

Barrie is charging exactly the same prices on the Coutada as on his areas Zimbabwe. In fact it is a litte cheaper because there is no 2% gov. tax. There are no additional license fees or fees of any kind.

The area can be reached by driving from Harare in Zim so there is no expensive charter necessary.

For a hunter having a Zim size budget and looking for a wild hunt this might fit the bill. I'll be hunting there in Sept/Oct and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Contact me anytime if you have any questions or interest.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
freischutz,

I suggest that you also factor in age on your off take calculations. Bulls over 50 years of age probably have a life expectancy of less than 10 years. I believe 65 years is considered about max for elephant bulls. These bulls have already left their genes in the population and as they age they are less able to compete with younger bulls for mating rights. I think your off take of bulls 50+ years can be safely increased above your 0.75% rate. age may well be a better criteria than tusk weights, if you can get the clients to go along with it.

As for the USFWS being arrogant please consider that they are interested in the over all health of the populations that they approve for importation. In most cases when the USFWS will not approve an import quota it is because the USFWS does not believe that the applying country has sufficient population data, a scientifically valid management plan or has effectively reduced poaching levels. If the applying country can produce the above plans data comparable to those produce by Zimbabwe, South Africa and Botswana they will likely approve importation. The same recently occurred in the importation of Marco Polo sheep from some countries. I suggest that the safari industry in Mozambique get together with the Moz wildlife and Parks to see if you can help them get their data and plans up to snuff.

465H&H

465H&H

The 0.75% is the trophy take off of your total population we talking "trophy whatever age there are. Of cause if get one of the very old bulls you take it, if it is a trophy it counts", if it would be a management kill it would count against the total (non trophy) recommended off take same as with tusk less, sick, culling and poached animals this total off take rate depends on management target increase / reduce population or keep it at a given number.

Regarding USFW yes they intention a good but. The Unites States is a CITES member and Cites will grand sustainable export quotas to countries that are cites member and prove to cites the sustainability of these quotas. Mozambique done this and CITES gave the quotas for 40 elephants this is not good enough for USFW??

USFW insist on a country wide systematic elephant count. Fine but what is the point for a quota of 40 elephants to import some in to the USA?? We don’t have enough technical capacity to cover the whole country but we got the date and history for some of the main areas, Niassa and Sofala for Tete there is also some data and based on this monitored population we can’t get USFW approval. These are 80% of the wild elephants in Mozambique? IUCN, WWF, and Cites came up with this data but this is not good enough for USFW? We are talking about less than 0.005% of the recorded elephant population?? Sorry this is ridiculous.

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it possible in Mozambique, like it is in Tanzania, to hunt 2 male buff, maybe with some plainsgame added on a 7-10 days license?

What are the regulations to import hunting rifles?

Thanks Antonio

Posts: 98 | Location: Mexico | Registered: 12 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antonio:
Is it possible in Mozambique, like it is in Tanzania, to hunt 2 male buff, maybe with some plainsgame added on a 7-10 days license?

What are the regulations to import hunting rifles?

Thanks Antonio

Antonio

No Problem! Mozambique does not have minimum days and no bag limit but operator normally request some minimum days for some species. And we only hunt male species. You can book a 4 buffalo 1 day hunt if the concession owner let you. Wink

Firearm importation is easy the concession holder applies for your import permit in advance no limit on the number of guns you can use semi auto if the mag is limited to max 2 rounds and minimum caliber is 6mm x 50mm. all he need from you is the caliber, serial number, make, type ( rifle, shotgun, revolver etc) and amount of ammo per caliber.

Anything more just ask

Cheers