Find
Notify
Tools

New member saying hello
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
Food, everyones taste is different. Kudu and Oryx are the best. Impala is just awful. All IMO.

Ammo, if you insist on using that 243, I would buy some Norma 100g Oryx.

You might be happier using a 308, not much more recoil and can push a larger piece of lead. I use the German method, use the largest hammer you can find.

Sticks, if the PH has off the shelf factory made sticks, buy the same set here and practice here with them and leave them in the USA and use his when you get there. If is is using homemade, buy some here, practice with them and take your own.

Make an appointment with your local travel clinic for shots and pills.

Treat your clothes before you go. What I did was buy some cheap surplus clothes from Sportmens Guide treated them, bagged them to keep them separate from the untreated and left the treated in Africa. Housekeeping was happy to have a stack of worn once "new" clothes.

Posts: 769 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
Picture of Red_Sonja
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Ah, the food from game.

Warthog cookery depends on the age of the critter. I found the very young ones made a tastless roast suckling pig. For roast warthog, better shoot something 2 years old or so. They also make great sandwiches the next day in the bush. The old boars are best cooked as a stew in a potjie, the cast iron three-legged pot. I'll bet your camp staff has some fine warthog ideas.

Zebra is among the most delicious of game. Key is to lard a large piece of meat with garlic cloves and cook carefully. Well done game of any species becomes shoe leather. We had a Thai foodie in camp one time, and she made Thai green curry with the zebra that was superb.

You cannot go wrong with a saddle of impala cooked medium rare and served with some sort of fruit like red currants.

I've had and like wildebeest, both blue and black. Just carefully braai (barbecue) the steaks not cooking them too much.

If you like game liver, heart and kidneys you can use an old German recipe. Check the liver carefully to ensure it's from a healthy beast. Then sautee onions, garlic and apples while the liver is cut up and resting in milk. Throw the milk away and pour the liver chunks into the pan with the sautéed mix. Cook a very few minutes as you must eat your liver very pink. Serve over your favorite starch which in Southern Africa will likely be mealie meal pap (like polenta).

The venturesome will want to try a pofadder, a sausage of oryx or some other large ungulate that includes the heart, liver and kidneys with a bit of fat stuffed into the last yard of the (cleaned!) large intestine of the antelope you shot. It looks a bit like the snake for which it's named. Cook over a low fire of hardwood coals for several hours and serve as the appetizer as it's just too rich for the main course.

Good hunting and dining. All, of course, washed down with one of the superb red wines from the Cape. Follow the dinner with a little Cape smoke, one of brandies like Klipdrift, Oudemeester or even KWV...

Regards, Tim

OHMYGOD!!! You are making me so hungry just talking about all the meats. My husband says Zebra is very tasty. He says it’s sweet. I hope one of us gets a Zebra so I can try it. Red wine is my dinner drink of choice, so I am good there.

Liver, heart and kidney will not pass my lips, although my PH said there is a tradition for first time Africa hunters to eat something that he did not name. I am afraid it will be one of those three items. When I asked, my husband just looked at me with a raised eyebrow and said “You have to eat it.” That’s about the only thing that really concerns me. Confused

Just living is not enough...
I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
~Gustave Flaubert~

Posts: 13 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 09 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A PH I hunted with told me he looked forward to the day his son was old enough to hunt a kudu with a .243 and Barnes TSX.

We’ve killed a few buffalo (Australian) with our .22-250 and 55 grain Barnes TSX. Of course, we have a safety rifle (aside from one drama when we didn’t).

Enjoy your hunt!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red_Sonja:
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Ah, the food from game.

Warthog cookery depends on the age of the critter. I found the very young ones made a tastless roast suckling pig. For roast warthog, better shoot something 2 years old or so. They also make great sandwiches the next day in the bush. The old boars are best cooked as a stew in a potjie, the cast iron three-legged pot. I'll bet your camp staff has some fine warthog ideas.

Zebra is among the most delicious of game. Key is to lard a large piece of meat with garlic cloves and cook carefully. Well done game of any species becomes shoe leather. We had a Thai foodie in camp one time, and she made Thai green curry with the zebra that was superb.

You cannot go wrong with a saddle of impala cooked medium rare and served with some sort of fruit like red currants.

I've had and like wildebeest, both blue and black. Just carefully braai (barbecue) the steaks not cooking them too much.

If you like game liver, heart and kidneys you can use an old German recipe. Check the liver carefully to ensure it's from a healthy beast. Then sautee onions, garlic and apples while the liver is cut up and resting in milk. Throw the milk away and pour the liver chunks into the pan with the sautéed mix. Cook a very few minutes as you must eat your liver very pink. Serve over your favorite starch which in Southern Africa will likely be mealie meal pap (like polenta).

The venturesome will want to try a pofadder, a sausage of oryx or some other large ungulate that includes the heart, liver and kidneys with a bit of fat stuffed into the last yard of the (cleaned!) large intestine of the antelope you shot. It looks a bit like the snake for which it's named. Cook over a low fire of hardwood coals for several hours and serve as the appetizer as it's just too rich for the main course.

Good hunting and dining. All, of course, washed down with one of the superb red wines from the Cape. Follow the dinner with a little Cape smoke, one of brandies like Klipdrift, Oudemeester or even KWV...

Regards, Tim

OHMYGOD!!! You are making me so hungry just talking about all the meats. My husband says Zebra is very tasty. He says it’s sweet. I hope one of us gets a Zebra so I can try it. Red wine is my dinner drink of choice, so I am good there.

Liver, heart and kidney will not pass my lips, although my PH said there is a tradition for first time Africa hunters to eat something that he did not name. I am afraid it will be one of those three items. When I asked, my husband just looked at me with a raised eyebrow and said “You have to eat it.” That’s about the only thing that really concerns me. Confused

Zebra is delicious...you and your husband will truly enjoy your experience. We are all happy to have a new female mamber here so welcome!
I believe having all the meals with wild game is an important part of the experience. Also, appetizers made of say Kudu heart cut into little bits and fried etc are excellent.
I would also highly recommend Eland if you get the chance.
As for the .243....
lots of good advice above. I would still recommend going higher. I'm taking my wife this year to Hunt Red Stag in Patagonia next month and Limpopo (like you) in July. She will be shooting a .300WSM
We are all excited for you...there's nothing like your first Safari !

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
On our first safari to RSA in 1996 with two of my high school age sons, I took an old beat-up push-feed M70 30-06, and a brand-new M70 Super Express in .375 H&H.

We killed eight head of plains game in 5 days. My sons shot half my license, using the 30-06.

The only animal I shot with the .375 was a gemsbok, and then only because I was determined not to have hauled a new, expensive rifle to Africa and not shot SOMETHING with it.

Our other trophies were kudu, black and common springbok, zebra, red hartebeest, black wildebeest, and impala. All with the 30-06, using 180 grain Grand Slam bullets in factory loads.

I think all current Africa experts, such as Craig Boddington, will say that plains game up to and including eland can be taken with .308 bullets in whatever platform you prefer.

Having said that, and with the knowledge you're a female hunter, I think you'd be just fine with what has become my favorite caliber: 7x57 (7mm Mauser) with 175 grain bullets.

Recoil is minimal, factory ammunition is plentiful and handloads are easy. It's not difficult to find one (newer, not the early ones) by almost all manufacturers, and while it's not appropriate for long-range shooting, it'll do just fine out to 200-250 yards.

My 7x57 is a M70 Featherweight and it's a joy to shoot. I'm old, short and sensitive to recoil due to some medical issues, so if I ever went back to Africa for plains game, that would be the gun I'd take.

Whatever you decide to use, just keep in mind that bullet placement trumps all other factors.

Good luck--you'll have an amazing time!

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I guarantee you that if you use mono metal bullets of 100 grains in the 243 Winchester no animal will notice any difference.

Two things to bear in mind.

Shot placement and being careful that the animal is presenting a good position for a shot.

I would not take any rear end shots for instance which Yiu might do with a bigger caliber.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of Red_Sonja
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I guarantee you that if you use mono metal bullets of 100 grains in the 243 Winchester no animal will notice any difference.

Shot placement and being careful that the animal is presenting a good position for a shot.

I would not take any rear end shots for instance which Yiu might do with a bigger caliber.

Saeed what brand of mono metal bullet do you recommend?

~Gustave Flaubert~

Posts: 13 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 09 February 2018Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It really makes no difference as long it shoots well in your rifle.

They will all do the same thing, despite all the advertising blurb they put out.

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for all the advice and words of wisdom.

My PH is a big fan of the 243 and has one of his own. He has not voiced any concerns about my only having the one gun. He is a very competent PH and my husband, yes I am a woman, has hunted with him many times.

This will now take a different turn as its been proven on AR before.

When a man ask about an African/cartridge question everyone goes bigger

When a lady ask about an African/cartridge question the mass tells them. 308 or less...practice and use premium well placed shots.

All in all the same advise a man should receive

I did two poles several years ago right here.

One was African cartridge for a man and one was for a lady.

It was predictable but the swing was big vs short

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Liver, heart and kidney will not pass my lips, although my PH said there is a tradition for first time Africa hunters to eat something that he did not name.

Like Kidneys, they come in pairs and if prepared well are considered a delicacy. Wink

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have no African hunting experience.

Wish you all the best and hope you have a life changing great experience.

Just one suggestion - please make sure you shoot your rifle a lot at 200 meters off sticks. Take particular care to remember how you rest your rifle in the same part of the rest / stock / palm.

The point I am making is this - the rifle can shoot to different points of impact if you rest it at different parts of the stock. Each rifle is different, depending on free floating the barrel, glassing bedded or not etc.

I have had rifles which shot 3 inches low or 6 inches high with changes in point of rest.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
If you are offered any Vegemite, skip on that!

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Forget Vegemite!

Ask for BOVRIL!

It is a traditional safari hot drink.

Take a large tea spoonful, put in a large mug, add some lime or lemon juice and a few drops of Tabasco!

Absolutely delicious!

Ray Atkinson absolutely hates it clap

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by postoak:
Mentioning Bell's use of the 7mm on elephant is silly.

Bell used solids for brain shots and he was the Jerry Miculek of his day.

....AND, the only count was the ones he collected, nothing was ever mentioned how many he lost and did not follow up!

Isn't that still the case of most hunters today Big Grin

Posts: 3907 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Sonja hi and welcome to the best shooting / hunting and Africa site out there !

Congrats on your planned hunt. The Limpopo is a great area. Enjoy it all from soup to nuts!

If you love your 243 and clearly shoot it well then take it and shoot it. I have shot a number of African antelope with the .243. My only thought is that if the shot is slightly off - liver, one lung etc - a .243 will not give you much of a blood trail to work with and we all know how far a zebra or a wildi can go if not down and out at the shot. You'll put your trackers to the test and that is also a great experience being with good trackers at work.

Enjoy, Africa is infectious!

Look forward to the report and lots of photographs - also of the .243!

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started out with using my .375H&H on all antelope I shot in Africa....lately I borrow a silenced .308..kudu - flop...zebra - flop..

I use Norma ammo with 180 grain Nosler Partition..but PMP with 165 grainers also do the trick..

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My Namibian PH was in love with a non-Mauser Musgrave 243, that was his only rifle.

He shot a mountain of game with it.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forget Vegemite!

Ask for BOVRIL!

It is a traditional safari hot drink.

Take a large tea spoonful, put in a large mug, add some lime or lemon juice and a few drops of Tabasco!

Absolutely delicious!

Ray Atkinson absolutely hates it clap

I am a Bovril lover as well! But, I like mine on toast...for breakfast. For hunting days...I generally have the cook make me 2 slices of toast only for breaki. One with butter and Bovril and one with butter and jam. Wash it down with one glass of Mazoe orange and lots of coffee...good to go!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We cannot get it here in DUBAI so I normally bring half a suitcase of it from Dar every year.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
We cannot get in the states either. There is some goofy regulation that excludes its sale due to a 1 in a billion chance of you contracting Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (Mad Cow Disease) from it due to how it is processed.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
I do not like the 243. I have never hunted with the 243. On the Facebook boards I have a reputation of hating the 243. A lot of my hatred is tongue in cheek. It is my own prejudice. I fully admit that. But I am like Saeed. If you put a bullet into the proper place the animal will die. Richard Mann(gunwriter)took his wife to Africa. She killed everything including a wildebeest with a 243. https://www.outdoorhub.com/how...sunderstood-243-win/

Now back to my personal opinion. The 243 is an expert rifleman's cartridge. Why? Because it is on the light side and marginal for the game you will be shooting. As long as you are picking your shots broadside perfectly and you hit the vitals (heart, vessels, or double lung) everything you shoot will die quickly. As others have said, don't try any raking or Texas heart shots. Will you be shooting at a waterhole where your perfect broadside shot will present itself again and again? Or will you be stalking nervous animals who are aware of your presence and ready to bolt at any second? Believe me, the added pressure of shooting quickly can cause you to make a less than perfect shot. Jim Hackiewicz, a PH who I hunted with on my first safari, said he prefers 30 cal or larger for blood trailing as the smaller calibers do not make a good blood trail. I believe that is good advice.

My wife has hunted in Africa. Once she hunted with a 7mm-08 bolt gun and the other time a T/C Carbine in 375JDJ (444 Marlin necked down to 375 cal) She also killed an impala with a loaner 30-06 on my first hunt.

Animals can and have been lost with larger calibers. The goal of your safari is to have a good time and great experience. Nothing sadder than to come back at night after a fruitless search for a missing animal. If you use the 243, be aware of its limitations and hunt accordingly.

And by all means, when you get back lets us know how you did and how it performed. May your first safari lead to many more.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdwest
posted Hide Post
.243 will likely get the job done as long as you do your part, and you use heavy for caliber premium bullets..

That said, I agree with what several have already recommended.. consider something bigger... a new rifle and optic really isnt that much of an investment (or, it doesnt have to be..) compared to the overall cost of a safari..

if you are already comfortable with a .243, consider getting the same make/model rifle in .308..

There will only be slightly more recoil.. and since the .243 and .308 use the same parent case, if you select the same make/model rifle, operation should be identical (same action length, same feel of the bolt operating in the action, etc..)..

My wife used a .308 on our last trip and easily took everything on her "list" from blesbok to kudu to zebra (as well as a few others) using 168gr TTSX..

We're heading back over next month... she will again be taking a .308 with her.. gemsbok, sable, and waterbuck are all on this trips "list" (along with a few smaller animals).. I feel confident she will have no problem with the .308

I'd be a bit nervous if she were taking her .243 though....

Posts: 65 | Location: DFW | Registered: 01 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Been thinking on this a lot. Here is my recommendation. Going to Africa is addictive...thus, you will likely go again and start planning as soon as you get home.

Therefore, I would take the .243 Win...but I would also buy, practice with, and take a .375 H&H.

Why??? A few reasons:

1) It is a shootable caliber to not be feared. I would load it with some lighter bullets...and I would recommend these: .375 235gr ER (Extended Range) RAPTOR from Cutting Edge Bullets. With these bullets...you will be amazed at its shooter friendliness and its performance on game like you are after.

2) It is no more difficult to take 2 rifles than one...why not take a familiar back up.

3) It will definitely handle any situation you may encounter.

4) it is a classic caliber for an African hunter.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Saeed what brand of mono metal bullet do you recommend?

I don't think any makes a 100 gr monometal 6mm bullet...do they?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
https://www.peregrinemonolithi...r-bullet-ballistics/

Caliber Weight (gr) Bullet Length (“) G7/G1 BC 2000 2500 3000
.243 100 1.236 G1 0.456 7.3 7.6 7.8

A word of caution, the following bullets are extremely long and only a few standard hunting rifles will stabilize these bullets:

243/6mm in 95 and 100 grain

Minimum Twist Rate (S = 1.5xFv)

Realistically most 10 twist 243's are able to stabilize 80 to 85 gr monos

rare will a 10 twist gun will give reasonable groups with 90+ monos

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Black Hills Gold 243 Winchester 85 Grain Barnes TSX might be a suitable load for the Impala, Warthog, and Blesbuck.

Maybe use the husband's rifle for the one big animal.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 12 February 2018 22:24 Hide Post
Been thinking on this a lot. Here is my recommendation. Going to Africa is addictive...thus, you will likely go again and start planning as soon as you get home.

Therefore, I would take the .243 Win...but I would also buy, practice with, and take a .375 H&H.

+1 everything Lane said.

I took my boys (ages 14/16) plains game hunting this summer in RSA. They used my Ruger M77 .375 H and H, with the right loads, minimal recoil and all dead critters. My son really wanted a bush buck. The only shot he had was a texas heart and with the cutting edge bullet, we didn't think twice about the efficacy of the shot.

Be careful, I have never tried crack cocaine, but I understand it is incredibly addictive, but hunting in Africa is much worse

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red-Sonja;

Welcome to AR and congratulations on your upcoming first safari. It will not be your last. Deer hunting definitely leads to harder stuff. A great thing about African hunting, it isn't over after you take one animal. Be prepared to develop an addiction!

There is a wealth of info and advice here on AR, which you've already read.

I love to see other women hunters join the ranks.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Who are you going with, may I ask? I know that in the Limpopo, Infinito Safaris’ Charl van Rooyen’s go to plains game rifle is his Sako 243 with a can on it.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Why??? A few reasons:

1) It is a shootable caliber to not be feared. I would load it with some lighter bullets...and I would recommend these: .375 235gr ER (Extended Range) RAPTOR from Cutting Edge Bullets. With these bullets...you will be amazed at its shooter friendliness and its performance on game like you are after.

2) It is no more difficult to take 2 rifles than one...why not take a familiar back up.

3) It will definitely handle any situation you may encounter.

4) it is a classic caliber for an African hunter.

Agree 100% and was ready to write something very similar - though a 7mm mag or 338/340 instead of 375.

I think you’ll be fine with the .243 - because you’re experienced, knowledgeable and successful with it.
And that’s coming from a guy who takes small calibers like 600OK and 600NE on safari.

Take a bigger backup as the good Dr. suggested. Just as easy to take two and you’ll never regret having it “just in case”.

Oh and do read Mike Dettore’s signature line (paragraph). Much truth written therein - some of which you’ve already been exposed.

Good luck, have fun, don’t take anything written here too seriously or personally because it’s your safari. Enjoy it - there is nothing quite as good as most of what you’ll do, see, feel and live while there.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Red_Sonja
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Who are you going with, may I ask? I know that in the Limpopo, Infinito Safaris’ Charl van Rooyen’s go to plains game rifle is his Sako 243 with a can on it.

My PH is Pieter Kreil. My husband has hunted with him 8 times, no complaints.

~Gustave Flaubert~

One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Given good shot placement with 85 grain TSX, 243 is plenty for most plains game. You won't stabilize 100 grain bullets with the typical 10 twist barrel, you'll need an 8 twist to do that. The 85 grains are plenty. One of the nicest kudu I have seen was killed by a 12 year old with a 243, it barely went 10 steps.

Sonja, if you wish to raise your confidence level a bunch, please consider attending SAAM class at the FTW ranch, they have a precision shooting class or a safari class that will do wonders for your ability to judge whether you have the ability to make a particular shot from a specific position. The instructors are first rate, and you will learn as much about safari stuff as you do shooting. Even though your husband has been to Africa before, he will also enjoy the classes. I usually go for a two day tuneup before every trip, and consider it money well spent - it's less than one large animal trophy fee. Several trips to Africa, and not one, none, zero, lost animals, thanks to SAAM. A couple of those were 400+ yard shots too, DRT.

Tell them Mikee sent you LOL!

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pieter Kriel has a 243 he's had other people use on a lot of stuff, like Impala, etc. No reason, with say Ttsx bullets, it won't handle everything you interested in. But Pieter has a 30/06 back up gun too, that he shoots Ttsx bullets in. Introduced him to them and he swears by them. LOT of stuff put out about African stuff being tougher etc. than American stuff. But I've found it isn't. Hit it right and it's down. Craig Boddington said, shoot into the lower 1/3rd of the body. I found that works. My favorite shot is right where the leg joins the body, what I call the arm pit shot. Everything I've shot there died right now. The monometal bullets are long for weight, and a 95gr going to be longer that a 100 gr cup and core. While you don't really need that kind, as one guy said, the Swifts great, but the Barnes ttsx, will give you more penetraton, if you should need it. I hit a Black wildebeest at 200 yds with a 130gr bullet, in a 308, hit it in the right hip and bullet was found in it's left shoulder. Held up and wrecked everything in between. Hit right, and they'll not go anywhere. Have a great time and tell Pieter hello.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

My PH is Pieter Kreil. My husband has hunted with him 8 times, no complaints.

My wife and I hunted with Pieter Kreil. He is a great guy.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sonja,

Welcome to AR and safari hunting. You are going to love it. Confidence in your rifle is a big key to success. Pick your shots carefully and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Enjoy!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome on board...

BTW I witnessed Phillip Price shoot an Eland in the hip as it ran away from him at about 100 yards with a 100 gr. corelokt in his .243 and I recovered the bullet in the Elands shoulder perfectly expanded..thats 5 ft. of muscle and bone, I was pretty amazed in that I have never been a fan of the .243, not because I didn't think it suitable in the right hands, just never wanted nor needed one, I've always owned the 250-3000!! clap

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tysue:
Pieter Kriel has a 243 he's had other people use on a lot of stuff, like Impala, etc. No reason, with say Ttsx bullets, it won't handle everything you interested in. But Pieter has a 30/06 back up gun too, that he shoots Ttsx bullets in.

I took a Red Hartebeest with Pieter's .243 and another one with his 30-06. He has video on his site showing what that 30-06 can do to a Zebra.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted 4 buffalo with Pieter Kriel. He is a very good PH and lots of fun. He is also a learned historian. If you can, take a tour with him, you will get to know Africa even better.

He is a good shot and can back you up. I always tell my PH "If you think that I have made a mess of a shot, then shoot, don't ask for permission." ( They have never had to but the thought gives me a wider comfort zone. Chuckle)

While I use a 500 and a 577 on buffalo, I own and enjoy the 243. You will do fine with it, I think.

Some friendly suggestions.
1. As you know you can tell Pieter that you will only be taking shots that you really like. He will get them for you.
2. As said above, with mono bullets a bit faster twist rate may be needed on heavy bullet. Just call the tech dept at the bullet manufacturer before you purchase. ( You probably know that you can find the twist rate of your rifle with a cleaning rod.)
3. As suggested, Swift Sirocco have excellent terminal performance. Also check out Cutting Edge Bullets. I have used their Raptors on buffalo for three one shot kills. Bullet quality is a BIG factor for the 243.

Pieter and his wife Karen are good people. Pieter is a professional, helpful PH who will tell you what you need to hear. Also, he loves a joke and a good story. You will have a great time. Please say "Hi" from Brian Gallup.

PS. Ask him about the time he raced a young buffalo bull back to the truck. He is a big man but he ran through the mopani trees like a young rugby player, giggling all the way. b

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3402 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How was the safari? Confused Smiler

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
Brian I enjoyed reading your story “Did you hear the Oxpecker?”. I have hunted with Pieter four times (3 plains game and 1 Cape Buffalo). I enjoy the detours or hunting breaks to visit historical sites. I have also enjoyed the times we were able to meet up with Karen for dinner.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote