New
Find
Notify
Tools

New member saying hello
 Login/Join

Picture of Red_Sonja
posted
My first African Safari in Limpopo South Africa is coming up the first of June. I am an avid deer hunter from Texas. I own a 243 and have had nothing but one shot, bang-flop, kills. Any advice would be welcome.

Just living is not enough...
I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
~Gustave Flaubert~

Posts: 13 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 09 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Let us know what you are hunting. Welcome! Smiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think a 243 is big enough for Africa plans game. Those are some tough animals but it really depends on what your after. I would think a 7 Mag is minimum for Kudu, gemsbok etc.

Picture of Red_Sonja
posted Hide Post
Plains game in Limpopo

~Gustave Flaubert~

Posts: 13 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 09 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Shoot somewhere straight up the front leg to hit vitals. Whitetail success doesn't equate to impala success, for example. Shoot the heaviest premium bullet the .243 Winchester can group. 100 yards will likely be average, so magnum cartridges may not be needed. Still, here's your chance to get an African caliber rifle in time to practice.

Learn to shoot off tripod/"sticks", both short and tall. What has your PH advised? Also, know by shooting it where your rounds hit at 25 yards -- aim higher, not low for the heart.

Read every hunting report you can on this site, and forget about TV shows or videos. "Take what the bush provides" vs. your shopping list/what the paperwork says you'll be after.

Drink water from the time you board the plane to the end of your first week in RSA. Keep a small bottle in your front pants pocket to "work" between trips back to camp.

Leave politics back home. Listen lots. Bring M&M's for good will. Tip in money, not knives, clothes, etc. Don't overpack.

Enjoy, and be ready to get spoiled. Keep taxidermy and the hunting separate experiences. When you come back, remember you don't know it all.

2 cents

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been to RSA three times. That doesn't make me an expert, but it does entitle me to an opinion. And that opinion is that a 243 is too light. Not enough gun. Remember that if you draw blood, you pay the trophy fee. I would suggest that you get a 308 or a 30-06 as a starting point, but if another rifle is not in your budget, rent a camp rifle from the outfitter.

Otherwise, I think BNagel gives good advice.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Red_Sonja
posted Hide Post
We will be hunting Impala, Blesbuck, Warthog and either Blue Wildebeest, Kudu or Zebra.

~Gustave Flaubert~

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR Sonja, here you will get all the uncensured info you need.

For plains game I would advise you to get a 300 WM or something in that range. It does well both short and long range and has proven it self for many decades on the African plains.

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 315 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
And my advice?
Get that chip off your shoulder with that “ never miss, all drop “
That always gets me lots of good laugh
Now seriously, everyone will miss and mess up shots sooner or later so get ready for that...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO, a 243 isn't enough gun for wildebeest, Kudu, or zebra. I have my doubts on Blesbok as well.

Not that big of a deal, as the PH should be able to loan you something.

Get Robertson's perfect shot book. The vitals are a little bit differently positioned than in whitetail.

In SA, try and make sure you do some foot stalking as it's a lot more fun than shooting everything from the truck.

Expect to overshoot your budget. SOMETHING neat that you didn't plan on will cross your path.

You will have a blast!

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
The thing is, in Africa you are going to be shooting off sticks and not with your rifle propped on the windowsill of a box blind. If you can find a way to practice on sticks here, do so.

You may well be offered shots at 200 - 300 yards or even longer. Have the fortitude to tell your PH to get you something closer.

And yes, here we normally try to shoot deer behind the shoulder and half-way up but over there they want you to shoot low-shoulder. It is a smaller target.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red_Sonja:
We will be hunting Impala, Blesbuck, Warthog and either Blue Wildebeest, Kudu or Zebra.

"I own a 243 and have had nothing but one shot, bang-flop, kills" - Good for you and even better for the animals you've shot but forget about this statement. I have seen enough guys that have ended that statement with a 10km+ walk after a wounded animal!!!

Your .243 is perfectly adequate to kill all of your listed species but you want to treat the bigger plains game species with caution on 'quatering away/towards' shot opportunities, especially the Blue Gnu. A 30 cal with a premium projectile, would be a preferred option.

Good luck!

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR!

I own three 243's and have used them for pronghorn and black tail and white tail deer here in the US but I wouldn't take one to Africa unless I was hunting exclusively for the smaller (<100 lbs.} antelope like steenbok, duiker, springbok, etc. I wouldn't even consider using one for Kudu, wildebeest or zebra.

Talk to your PH and see what he recommends. Most of them will say the 270/308/7 Mauser sized cartridges as the very minimum for a mixed bad plains game hunt and they will all be a lot more comfortable with clients shooting the 30.06 and bigger cartridges if the client shoots it well.

I've been to Africa four times and the smallest cartridge that I've used is a 300 WSM with 180 grain bullets and that was only used on springbok and warthog. I and others on here aren't trying to be macho, but a 300 - 400 Lbs Kudu or wildebeest is a tough SOB to put down with a 100 grain bullet. Unless you are hunting from a blind over a waterhole the odds are that you aren't going to get a 50 yard shot at a relaxed animal. Shoot a blue wildebeest through the lungs with a 243 and he may go for miles before he dies.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Welcome.

I am sure if Bell can kill elephant with a 7mm then you can do as well on some plains game with the .243.

Just need to get that beast fully broadside.

Let us know how you get on.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MANDLAZIM:
quote:
Originally posted by Red_Sonja:

"I own a 243 and have had nothing but one shot, bang-flop, kills" - Good for you and even better for the animals you've shot but forget about this statement. I have seen enough guys that have ended that statement with a 10km+ walk after a wounded animal!!!

Your .243 is perfectly adequate to kill all of your listed species but you want to treat the bigger plains game species with caution on 'quatering away/towards' shot opportunities, especially the Blue Gnu. A 30 cal with a premium projectile, would be a preferred option.

Good luck!

+1

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest the good old 30.06 ....... it'll do everything you want & ammo will be easily available should you need it for whatever reason.

Or if you want to be able to use it on DG as well a .375 H&H

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Beware the man who has only one gun.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Welcome and congratulations on your upcoming hunt. Please post a report upon your return.

An introduciton to AR could not have been a better example when you ask a question. You'll get numerous and differing replies. So, I'll give mine!

If your a one shot kill gent with your .243 and you know your rifle well, take it and expect the same performance on African game of like size. Maybe a heavier bullet for the caliber and a partition or monometal (Barnes X) for larger plains game. The worst that can happen is you may need a second shot. And, if you are really undergunned for the larger plains game, either bring a second rifle or use the PHs.

It's your safari, use what you want and know well. You'll do fine. As mentioned, if Bell can kill eleplhant with a 7mm, why can't you kill a zebra or kudu with a .243?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A short story:

I had one elderly gentleman whose plains game/Bufflo battery consisted in 2 rifles: a 243 & 416 letting me know the 243 was his choice caliber for anything from a Dik-Dik to Buffalo, hence the need of the 416.

I tried as I could to sway him from using it on anything larger than an Impala as I was somewhat skeptical that a pissy 100 gr bullet would have much of an effect on Hartebeest, Wildebeest and Zebra (which were the largest of the plains game species available on his 10 day Buffalo license).

Needless to say, the Impala was a "bang, flop, down" followed by something similar on the Grant's, both at around 120/150 meters.

The fidgety Coke's was out at anything between 220/250 looking straight at us on the quarter: "Bang, shudder and wobble, followed by a half-hearted stumbling run for no more than 50 meters and flop" - by the time we got to him he was stone dead.

After much scouring of the countryside for a Wildebeest (we were almost at the end of the migration and the "tame herds" had almost all disappeared) we came across a lone bull on a high crest looking warily in our direction and after a short stalk in an otherwise almost impossible stalking environment, we emerged from the hollow we were following for cover to see him full frontal peering down at us from around 200.

"Bang, flinch and it disappeared from view - 200+ meters uphill is a long haul (especially for 2 smokers) but we eventually got there to find nothing. The old man said "not in a month of Sundays, he's here somewhere, that shot was dead on the button". Yeah, so let's light up and ponder which way he went and with the smoke of Sportsman cigarettes wafting in the oncoming breeze we began our search for $1200 worth of Wildebeest. Lo and behold, within 20 meters from where he was standing and took the shot was an impressive spattering of blood and not farther than 100 was a dead Wildebeest piled up in a ditch.

Last but not least was the hardy Zebra which at times, if not hit properly can give you a runabout when shot with one of the more popular heavier calibers which we so often speak about and recommend to our clients.

A convenient group of 3 to 4 stallions were engaged and appeared to be extremely curious at seeing 2 white-faced Maasai slowly approaching them from a distance which when reduced to around 120/150 ended their curiosity after the bang. They all thundered off and away in the opposite direction until they re-grouped out at almost 400 meters; one of theirs had fallen back a might and appeared rather "unwell", walking ever so slowly; we closed the distance for an acceptable shot which was dispatched without too much fanfare but was simply absorbed without any visible reaction from the recipient - a 3rd shot followed and it folded and crumpled to the dirt - it was dead by the time we got to it.

The moral of the story:

In the hands of the right person, even a lighter than normal caliber can perform to expectations and beyond.

On a side note, his 2 Buffalo both required several shots apiece from the 416. Wink

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the board!

Ill second practicing off sticks. This was not easy for me, and quite frankly im still not very good at it. I made mine from three pieces of bamboo and a bungee cord.

The perfect shot (small version). This is great advise.

Premium bullets. If your going to use your .243. Buy some bullets that are designed for deep penetration. Some bullets are designed for whitetails and antelope. For the bigger animals i would want a tougher bullet. Nosler, barnes etc.

Relax and enjoy!!! This is something i always fight with when i go over seas. It called Africa time. Life simply moves at a slower pace. Sit back and relax. In general africa is a target rich environment. Any PH worth his salt will get you your animals.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to use your 243 I recommend loads with a a Swift Scirocco 90 grain at as high a velocity as you can get. Put those little Sciroccos in the right place on all of your listed species and you will do just fine.

Th other advice on getting Kevin Robertson’s shot placement book and practicing off shooting sticks will both help you get those bullets exactly where you need to put them

Posts: 394 | Location: Africa | Registered: 25 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
As others have said I'd recommend a good old 30/06 with premium bullets. Remember if you draw blood you pay the trophy fee. One lost animal will will generally cost as much as a new rifle. If funds are tight buy a used gun or one of the lower priced rifles like the Ruger American and sell it when you return from Africa. The net loss won't be much. You could beak even or actually make a few $$ if you buy a used gun at the right price. With the proper bullets and good shot placement the 243 will work but why take the chance. Stuff can happen at the last second.

On one of my hunts in the Limpopo I had a shot at a nice Kudu that wound up measuring 53 1/2". The Kudu was standing on the edge of some very heavy cover facing into the brush. He was quartering away from me and getting nervous. I put the crosshairs behind his ribs to angle the bullet into the vitals. Just as the trigger broke the bull decided to get out of there and turned and ran into the brush. I wound up hitting him in the butt. A perfect Texas heart shot. I was shooting a .338 Win. Mag with 225 Grain Nosler Partitions. He only went about 30 yds before dropping. If I had been shooting a 243 the results could have been much different.

Since you never know what plains game animal will show up when hunting in Africa always carry a gun that can handle the largest animal on your wish list.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Red_Sonja
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice and words of wisdom.

My PH is a big fan of the 243 and has one of his own. He has not voiced any concerns about my only having the one gun. He is a very competent PH and my husband, yes I am a woman, has hunted with him many times.

~Gustave Flaubert~

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Mentioning Bell's use of the 7mm on elephant is silly.

Bell used solids for brain shots and he was the Jerry Miculek of his day.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
zebra and the like are tough critters if you draw blood and they get away you still pay the trophy fees besides that it's a good excuse to get a new rifle

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 more for the .30-06.
Savage made a bolt rifle with a muzzle break that you can turn on and off, 1/4 or 1/2 turn so POI doesn't change. You could pick up a used one cheap if recoil is an issue.
3x9x40 Leupold.VX1
180 gr Rem Core-Loks Cheap for practice and will do the job.
My first centerfire was a 788 in 6mm. Started reloading and, tried the fast light route.
Not enough bullet mass for reliable penetration.
100 gr core-loks for whitetail worked but picked my shots. "Can't eat the lungs"
First Elk/Mule Deer hunt that gun was traded for a 30-06.
The vitality of African plains game is surprising. It's like the difference between stocked freshwater, vs. saltwater fish.
Pound for pound they are tougher.
I've got lots of calibers now and still reload for them, It's just tough to beat the 06 for an all around caliber.
Thinking back, wish I could do it all over again.
Scott

Posts: 124 | Location: Boiling Springs | Registered: 16 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Beware the man who has only one gun.

Beware the woman who has only one gun.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Welcome!
You are going to love the people, food, and wonderful scenery. Relax and enjoy your safari experience.
I won’t comment on the 243. Members here will argue forever on equipment and never come to an agreement.
Some of the people giving advice have never hunted in Africa and others are PHs with years of experience. So keep that in mind.
My advice is to get into the best possible physical condition you can. Walking and stalking is much more fun than diesel stalking.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Red_Sonja
posted Hide Post
I am very excited to go to South Africa. Aside from the hunt itself, one of the things I am most excited about is tasting what I hunt. What does warthog taste like? What about Impala? The smells, sounds and sights are, I am sure, going to be a bit overwhelming.

~Gustave Flaubert~

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your gun will be fine. A good friend used a 250/3000 on a plains game hunt and killed everything with no problem including Eland. As several have said select a tougher bullet like a Barnes X bullet for the bigger animals. I shot 13 impala and 3 warthogs with a 22 hornet for leopard bait and it was fine. Just hit them a little behind the shoulder on the bigger animals. Wildebeest and Zebra can be tough. The 243 seems popular with the SA ranchers. I saw several being used for cull work in SA.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Cal said +1

Have a great time and be sure to take pix and make a post hunt report here.

PS - I met a lady in Colorado that used a .243 and killed a lot of elk. She was married to an elk guide and she shot all her elk in the ear or thereabouts. Smiler

PS How many readers of this post have seen the movie "Red Sonja" ?
If you are anything like that lady, critters beware!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We didn't eat warthog. It was given to the camp staff. Kudu is fantastic and gemsbok stew was wonderful. Although we didn't eat zebra, it was a favorite of the PHs' wife and daughters. Black wildebeest, blue wildebeest, springbok and impala Were retained by the landowner and sold on the commercial meat market. Bushpig was really great at breakfast. The food is excellent. You are in for a real treat. I wish I was going back.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome Red Sonya! Use good bullets & put them in the right place. Do practice shooting off sticks, it will make a difference. All the animals taste great! The camp chef/cook will amaze you with what they can prepare for you. Enjoy and report!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Welcome.

I am sure if Bell can kill elephant with a 7mm then you can do as well on some plains game with the .243.

Just need to get that beast fully broadside.

Let us know how you get on.

They say that Bell was the death of many a lesser man! Yes, a 243 will work, but will certainly add an extra element of unnecessary tension and pressure to what should be a wonderful experience.

Posts: 786 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Red-Sonja, Welcome to AR, and to the hunting of African game! I wish more women would join the hunting fold.

I too am a fan of the 243 win cartridge in a good rifle topped with a good scope. Like you I have never lost a head of game shot with the 243, and that includes just about everything from jack rabbit to Elk. I hand-load for the 243 with 100 gr bullets to around 3000fps and like you most are bang-flops.

However in Africa when using a bolt rifle I shoot everything with a Whitworth .375 H&H with 300 gr bullets, or one of my double rifles of larger chamberings for the big boys in close encounters.

My recommendation to you is, find your self a good used 7MM Mag rifle and mount a good scope on it and practice with it. If you or your husband hand-loads Load to about 3000 fps with a 175 gr bullet.

Adjust your scope to print + 1 inch high at 50 yds. That will place your shots 2 1/4 in high at 100 yds, 2 1/4 high at 150 yds, 1 1/4 high at 200 yds, 1 1/2 low at 250 yds and 5 1/4 in low at 300 yds.
That trajectory is almost identical to a 3000 fps 243 100 gr bullet!

Take both rifles and use the 7mm Mag for the zebra, and wildebeest and Kudu, and use your 243 on the smaller animals, and the wart hog.

But if you want to use your 243 for everything then be very careful to place your shots very well and be very careful to not hit twigs between you and your target. A twig will blow a 3000 fps 100 gr bullet to pieces before it gets to the target.

Good luck, and make a good hunt report here on AR when you get home!

Wish I was there to film you with that 243 in Africa!

........................................................................ old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by postoak:
Mentioning Bell's use of the 7mm on elephant is silly.

Bell used solids for brain shots and he was the Jerry Miculek of his day.

....AND, the only count was the ones he collected, nothing was ever mentioned how many he lost and did not follow up!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Ma'am, if your husband and PH are fine with you shooting a .243, then all you need to worry about is shooting quality bullets, practicing so you shoot well and then going and having the time of your life.

Savor every moment, enjoy every day. And don't forget to post up a good hunt report after you get back.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Red_Sonja
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Ma'am, if your husband and PH are fine with you shooting a .243, then all you need to worry about is shooting quality bullets, practicing so you shoot well and then going and having the time of your life.

Savor every moment, enjoy every day. And don't forget to post up a good hunt report after you get back.

Thank you sir. All of your suggestions are in my plans. Especially the part about going and having the time of my life. Cool

~Gustave Flaubert~

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, the food from game.

Warthog cookery depends on the age of the critter. I found the very young ones made a tastless roast suckling pig. For roast warthog, better shoot something 2 years old or so. They also make great sandwiches the next day in the bush. The old boars are best cooked as a stew in a potjie, the cast iron three-legged pot. I'll bet your camp staff has some fine warthog ideas.

Zebra is among the most delicious of game. Key is to lard a large piece of meat with garlic cloves and cook carefully. Well done game of any species becomes shoe leather. We had a Thai foodie in camp one time, and she made Thai green curry with the zebra that was superb.

You cannot go wrong with a saddle of impala cooked medium rare and served with some sort of fruit like red currants.

I've had and like wildebeest, both blue and black. Just carefully braai (barbecue) the steaks not cooking them too much.

If you like game liver, heart and kidneys you can use an old German recipe. Check the liver carefully to ensure it's from a healthy beast. Then sautee onions, garlic and apples while the liver is cut up and resting in milk. Throw the milk away and pour the liver chunks into the pan with the sautéed mix. Cook a very few minutes as you must eat your liver very pink. Serve over your favorite starch which in Southern Africa will likely be mealie meal pap (like polenta).

The venturesome will want to try a pofadder, a sausage of oryx or some other large ungulate that includes the heart, liver and kidneys with a bit of fat stuffed into the last yard of the (cleaned!) large intestine of the antelope you shot. It looks a bit like the snake for which it's named. Cook over a low fire of hardwood coals for several hours and serve as the appetizer as it's just too rich for the main course.

Good hunting and dining. All, of course, washed down with one of the superb red wines from the Cape. Follow the dinner with a little Cape smoke, one of brandies like Klipdrift, Oudemeester or even KWV...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote