New
Find
Notify
Tools

Malaria Meds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I live in Mexico, and just found out, we cannot get Malarone anymore. I ordered it from our specialty pharmacy two weeks ago, and they just told me they can't get it anymore
They can get Doxycycline....
Anybody tried this one before?
Comments?
We are going to Europe for 12 days before the safari. Could I pick it up in Europe somewhere?

D

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have used both Doxy and Malarone a lot while in Africa(probably a year total). I liked Malarone, but switched to Doxy because it was so much cheaper. I found that I liked doxycycline just as much and an added benefit of using Doxy is that you can use Malarone as an emergency treatment if you do come down with malaria.

I hear that doxy is in short supply and has become very expensive.

BTW, I would not use Larium if you paid me. My ex wife used it for 3 months and during that time she began to suffer delusions. Now 5 years later she is still having major problems. Mental illness does run in her family, so I am not saying that Larium is to blame, but it is interesting that she had her "break" while taking Larium for the first time.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6835 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If you do take Doxy, it's better to take it at night rather than in the mornings because it seems to reduce the sunlight sensitivity issue & if you're taking it for more than just a few weeks it's a good idea to take a daily dose of live acidophilis to help combat possibilities of developing thrush. Also a good idea to add a tube of anti thrush cream to your first aid kit.

You don't say where in Europe you're going to but most of it should have Malarone available.

FWIW...... Like Jason, I'm not a fan of Larium either.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I used Doxy for several years before switching to Malarone. Doxy will make you very sensitive to sunlight. For your head, that is fine you can wear a hat. But other parts of your body, like your hands, will end burning unless you cover them. Sunblock helps a little, but only very little. The last time I used Doxy was in November 2010 and I was miserable by the end of the hunt. Add me to the list of Larium haters too.

Mike

Posts: 21345 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
This isn't directly related to the question, but have any of you seen the new video showing a device called "The kite"? It is a small, flat device you wear on your clothes that emits some sort of 'aura' around you that is said to make you invisible to mosquitos. It is being touted as the latest tool in the fight against malaria. Yahoo has a video about it, very interesting.

Posts: 3871 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only one trip under my belt, and at the time I chose Doxy after reading numbers of negative reports about the unpleasant (hallucinogenic) side-effects of Larium and Malarone. I liked the idea that Doxy would also apparently act as a defense against tick-borne diseases. I was warned about the increased sensitivity to sunlight, and took it in the evenings as mentioned above.

I had zero problems with sunburn. I always take precautions in the sun as I burn quite easily, and by sticking with my normal routine of applying high-SPF sunscreen religiously and generously (i.e. as though I were frosting a vanilla cake!) I had no issues with burning.

I also saw a grand total of one tick and about a half-dozen mosquitos, and received no bites...but, hey...better safe than sorry!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Doxy will make you very sensitive to sunlight.

I think this varies a great deal from person to person. Doxy did not seem to make me any more sun sensitive than I already am.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6835 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . and I just had to be the lucky one. CRYBABY

Mike

Posts: 21345 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I both took doxy last year in Zim. I had no problems with it, but she had a severe problem with sun sensitivity and had to quit taking it. After about 2 days, she was fine. In reference to the video about Kite, it will not be available for about 14 more months.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I took Doxy this year, I did notice increased sensitivity to sunlight on both my face and my hands. As stated earlier, sun screen did not help.
I prefer malerone.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Doxy will make you very sensitive to sunlight.

I think this varies a great deal from person to person. Doxy did not seem to make me any more sun sensitive than I already am.

same here. i started using Doxy, take it at night, never been sunburned- and i use very little sun block. just my hands, feet, nose, and ears.i switched from Malarone because it is much cheaper and is also a preventive for tick bite fever.check the CDC website and you see Doxy recommended as a usual alternative ALL over Africa.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13204 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my recent trip to Zimbabwe I had trouble with side effects from Malarone and switched to Doxycycline. No trouble with sun sensitivity with hat and sunscreen as protection. There is a shortage of Doxy currently in the US and therefore it is much more expensive than it used to be but still available. The recommendation is to take it for a full month after you return from the malarial region.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took Malarone for 3 trips and no problems. Daughter just got a script for Doxy and the cost
was unbelievable. Pharmacist told us that the price has risen 1000% in the last year. Malarone looks pretty good right now.

Posts: 86 | Location: The oasis of Nevada | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was on doxy for over two years , no problems until some neuralgia/mialgia (sp?) late last year then stopped, may or may not have been related to doxy, found out i had dengue sometime last year.

Taking Malarone at the moment. Malarone is significantly dearer than doxy. Not sure why doxy so expensive elsewhere.

Steer clear of buying cheap drugs OS, Malarone (and probably doxy now) is one of the most faked drugs due to its cost.

Never touch Larium. I took four tablets in total, never again. I can really understand how a lot of realy nasty stuff can happen with/by some people taking Larium. I stopped even though in midst of jungle work and no alternative - would rather have had malaria!

Fortunately I have had no sunlight issues but maybe my eyes became a little bit sensitive to sunlight with Doxy?

Good luck and good hunting, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1913 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!!!
Looks like I will try and find some doxy, here in Mexcio...
Failing that, I will get whatever I can, while in Europe...
Really appreciate this who took the time to respond!!!

D

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if it is available yet, Malarone is/will be available in generic form.It is atovaquone/prognanil and available in two strengths. It should be a lot cheaper. The manufacturer is Glenmark Generics.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up Meds
I have "Vibramicina", which is made by Pfizer
And says "Doxiciclina" on the box also..
10 capsules was about $25.00
I think we will be good to go now!!
Thanks for all the input!!

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I have used Doxy 6 or 7 times now and have never noticed any side effects. I always take it a night and have never had sun related issues.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1428 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
DinoinPV,
I'm not sure if 10 capsules is sufficient. I was still taking Doxy two weeks after I returned from my safari.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1428 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Took Doxy for years-
Never Burned-
That is--
until last year's trip to Moz-
And-Cooked-
Truly badly- with SPF 50 on-
Perhaps as we age our skin becomes more sensitive-
Perhaps it was the combination of my maintenance
meds , which had changed-
Non the less- Doxy is out for me now-
and yes- you need to continue after returning-

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Dino,
I prefer a custom mix of equal parts pork bung, grysbok foreskin "cheese" and candied goat scrotum. A little hard to get down 3 times a day, but no sun burn or hallucinations. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Here's an excerpt from a book I have coming out next year. It deals with my taking malaria while in Papua New Guinea

Enjoy

PNG marked my introduction into the psychedelic drug trip that is anti-malaria medication. And a more disturbing visit down the rabbit hole I’ve not taken.
My local physician prescribed Mefloquine hydrochloride – street name Lariam – for my visit to skeeter country. She briefly mentioned some of the possible side effects in passing and suggested I take it before going to sleep at night. As with most malarial medications, I was to take it once a week beginning two weeks before my trip and ending two weeks after my trip ended.
The first night I took Lariam I awoke an hour later to the worst headache of my life. The pain was so intense that I actually vomited. I spent most of the rest of the night sitting under a running shower with the lights out praying my skull wouldn’t explode. Ditto the second time I took it. The third time I took in was in PNG.
I had high hopes for that evening as I experienced no headache whatsoever as I lie in bed waiting to drift off to sleep. The fun started deep in the dark recesses of my psyche once I did succumb to sleep. My dreams were painted in violent streaks of blood reds and midnight blacks with a few flashes of purple and visions of pain and torture thrown in for good measure. I actually don’t remember much more than that but do remember screaming myself awake. The next morning I asked Jim if he and Pat had heard me scream. He replied that everyone on the island had.
“So why didn’t you come in to check on me?” I asked.
“Sounded like you were fighting off a pyscho or something,” He dryly replied. “Why would I want to walk in on that?”
Jim later confessed that he did walk in to yell at me that I was dreaming but I don’t remember him doing so. All I remembered was the acid trip of horrific violence.
The next day I re-read the warning label on my prescription then went online to read what the FDA had to say about the drug’s “possible” side effects. Here’s what the latter stated: “Lariam can cause serious mental problems. Some people who take Lariam have sudden serious mental problems, including: severe anxiety, paranoia (feelings of mistrust towards others), hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there), depression, feeling restless, unusual behavior, feeling confused. Some people who take Lariam think about suicide (putting an end to their life). Some people who were taking Lariam committed suicide. It is not known whether Lariam was responsible for those suicides.”
My professional opinion: Lariam was responsible for those suicides.
By my count I suffered from seven of the eight side effects while on the drug. Fortunately my trips to the edge of suicide canyon were limited to the days that I actually took the drug.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great writing Layne!!!!
Ha ha ha ha

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont think 10 tablets are anywhere near enough for a trip!
I am off for a 14 day trip in a couple of weeks and the doc has
prescribed me 35 100mg tabs of doxy, start one day before and continue
for at least 2 weeks after you leave the area.
Doxy here in oz is still readily available and cheap, i paid approx. $35
for the whole script.
I like Doxy as its also a good preventative for tick bite fever as well.
Being of Southern European decent, i rarely suffer sun burn, and so far by taking
Doxy at night, no side effects re sun sensitivity for me.

cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
for sure 10 tablets is not enough. according to the CDC, you begin the day before arrival, and continue it for 1 month after returning home. and the ticket bite fever prophylaxsis is the reason i changed from Larium( which caused me no problems) to Doxy.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13204 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Malaria is to be taken quite seriously especially for those of us that are not brought up where it exists. One should question any physician or pharmacist that would prescribe only 10 doses. Highly rec reading the CDC information as Doxy does have it downside ... sun sensitivity ...GI upsets... Malarone is best suited for a preventative. This is one area where you must ask the appropriate professional questions and follow their advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some Malaria strains are now resistant to Doxy according to those in the know. I just got back from a 35 day juant to Mozambique, took Malarone two days prior to arrival and five days after leaving. No ill effects at all, and better yet no Malaria. Doxy is very antiquated in todays medical World, very hard to get and greed has driven up the price to astronomical levels. I carry a little, probably outdated by now, for tick bite fever. 10 doses of anything seems to very much on the low side. I would get a second opinion if someone suggested this was all I needed. Confused

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The generic for Malarone is available and the name is mentioned above. It is much cheaper than Malarone in the past. Another reason to have Doxy along on the trip is to treat tick bite fever if it occurs.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/...s-promise-6C10875243

New malaria vaccine shows promise

Barbara Mantel, NBC News

48 minutes ago

Malaria, transmitted through mosquitoes, sickened more than 200 million people worldwide in 2010.

After decades of frustrating research to find a highly effective malaria vaccine, a novel approach is showing promise against the mosquito-transmitted disease, a team of government, academic, and private researchers reported in a study published Thursday in the journal Science. Malaria infected an estimated 200 million people worldwide in 2010 and caused as many as 1.24 million deaths, mostly in children.

In an early-stage clinical trial, the so-named PfSPZ vaccine protected from malaria infection all six volunteers who received five doses, the most, and protected six of the nine volunteers who received four doses. In contrast, five out of the six unvaccinated participants became infected with the disease.

"Clearly the results that these authors obtained are really very impressive. For those individuals receiving five doses, they are recording 100 percent protection,” says Nirbhay Kumar, chair of the Department of Tropical Medicine at Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine in New Orleans, who is working on a different kind of vaccine that would prevent mosquitoes from transmitting the Plasmodium parasites that cause malaria. That level of protection is the highest seen so far in any malaria vaccine trial.

But today’s published study involved a Phase I clinical trial, the first step in human testing, and the number of subjects is very small. “Clearly this is just the beginning” of research needed to determine if the vaccine could ever be of practical use, says Kumar.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, an immunologist and director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), where the clinical trial took place, agrees. "There is a lot more work to be done,” he says. Fauci calls the results “an important proof of concept that a very high degree of efficacy can be attained by this product.”

The vaccine product consists of Plasmodium falciparum sporozoites, an immature stage of the parasite, that have been weakened by irradiation. In comparison, the leading malaria vaccine candidate, RTS,S, currently in Phase III human trials, contains a single surface protein from the sporozoite. But RTS,S results “have been disappointing,” says Kumar. Studies have shown that RTS,S protects approximately half of volunteers against malaria infection two to three weeks after the last vaccine dose and 22 percent at five months out.

The PfSPZ vaccine researchers chose to use the whole parasite rather than just a protein because, for 40 years, scientists have known that strong, sustained immunity could be achieved by exposing human volunteers to the bites of irradiated, infected mosquitos. But “it took up to 1,000 mosquito bites to confer high-level protection,” said lead author Dr. Robert Seder, Chief of the Cellular Immunology Section at the Vaccine Research Center within NIAID, in a Science podcast.

Unlike most other vaccines against various diseases, which are injected into the skin, this vaccine is delivered intravenously. Earlier tests of the PfSPZ vaccine using standard injection did not produce high levels of protection against malaria. But intravenous delivery presents a serious challenge.

“You can certainly use an intravenously administered vaccine in special populations such as tourists and perhaps the military,” says Fauci. “But if you want to do a mass vaccination program such as in Southern Africa where Plasmodium falciparum malaria is a very important problem, the logistics of that are somewhat complicated.”

Researchers are planning studies in Africa, Europe and the United States to explore whether higher doses using standard injection might achieve the same results. In addition, other important questions will need to be answered before the PfSPZ vaccine could be put to use in the field.

“The critical question is how long does this immunity last,” says Fauci. Volunteers were exposed to malaria infection through the bites of five infected mosquitoes approximately three weeks after receiving the last dose of vaccine. (Those who came down with the disease were promptly treated with antimalarial drugs.) “We don’t know yet whether this is going to be durable protection,” says Fauci.

Future studies will also address whether the vaccine will work against multiple strains of the parasite that exist in the wild. The infected mosquitoes that bit the volunteers carried the same strain that was used to manufacture the vaccine.

While significant progress against malaria has been made using insecticide-impregnated bed nets, insect control, and indoor insecticide spraying, those efforts often slip in a region once malaria infection rates decline, says Fauci, calling it human nature, and then infection rates rebound.

"Historically, if you really get a vaccine that works, and you can really get it administered widely, that’s the way you control, eliminate and even eradicate certain diseases,” says Fauci.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9394 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Some Malaria strains are now resistant to Doxy according to those in the know. I just got back from a 35 day juant to Mozambique, took Malarone two days prior to arrival and five days after leaving. No ill effects at all, and better yet no Malaria. Doxy is very antiquated in todays medical World, very hard to get and greed has driven up the price to astronomical levels. I carry a little, probably outdated by now, for tick bite fever. 10 doses of anything seems to very much on the low side. I would get a second opinion if someone suggested this was all I needed. Confused

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Don't take expired date doxy...is toxic to you and can cause kidney damage.

Blowed if i know why it is so expensive? Was really the cheapest.

DRSS

Posts: 1913 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks rockdoc. I actually knew that, I think? Checked up on my stock and it's out by 6 months so trashed it. Thanks for the reminder.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Don't take expired date doxy...is toxic to you and can cause kidney damage.

Blowed if i know why it is so expensive? Was really the cheapest.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha ha....easy boys....
I had only mentioned the 10 tabs and the cost, as a comparison for people...
We have 7 boxes for the three of us...
My youngest son still lives in Canada and has Malarone....
Sorry for the delay...Momma and I decided to relax in Europe for a couple weeks before meeting the kids in Harare