Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First leopard hunt
 Login/Join

posted
I am going to SCI in Las Vegas in a few weeks and was going to look for my first leopard hunt for late 2018 or early 2019. I am asking for some advice on which countries offer the best chance of success and which outfitters are recommended. I am hoping to tap into the wealth of experience and knowledge here! Looks to me like a leopard will cost the better part of 20K!

Posts: 17 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Learn from a guy that got it right on the third try.

1) Plan on spending all of your $20k and more. In fact, consider spending all of $30k (or more).

2) Go to Zambia (reach out to Buzz or Andrew Baldry on this site); or

3) Go to one of the really good places in Zim (reach out to Buzz, Phil Smythe, Thierry Labat, or one of the regulars in the Bubye).

Successful leopard hunting isn't cheap nor for the unlucky. Pay the freight, do your part when the time comes, and you'll get your cat. Otherwise, you're better off spending your dollars on lottery scratch offs and Savannah/Jade/Alexis at the Gentleman's club.

Posts: 662 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also went on 3 leopard tries to get my first.

I would echo don't go cheap...

But even then it's no guarantee.

One thing to insist on is that there be no other cat hunters while you are in camp. It would be better if there is no one hunting cats for a couple of weeks before you get there. It doesn't take much to educate them.

As to where to go, IMO, the wilder the better. While the cattle killers are huge, they got that way being constantly hunted.

Zambia (Luangwa valley) and Tanzania (selous) are the places I've seen the most. I've hunted them in Zimbabwe a few times and not been successful on any of the tries... but that was luck more than anything.

Make sure you get a PH who has a good record on cats. A leopard hunt is not the hunt to get a newbie PH.

It seems that while statistics can do funny things, from a client perspective, expect a 50% chance of getting one on any given hunt. The odds go up if you stay for longer. I'm 0-3 on 15 day trips and 2-3 on 18-21 day hunts. All were in good cat areas, but some were tacked on to other principle target hunts.

Also important is knowing what kind of hunt you want. Some don't like dog hunts, some do. I'm not sure, but I think only Zim has hound hunts, and that has to be on private land...but I could be wrong there.

Zim private land also allows spotlight/night shooting; if you want a cat at all costs, night hunting supposedly ups your odds, but I couldn't tell that.

I personally think moon phase is a bunch of hooey, but some folks think it's very important. If you are booking for 18 (this season) you might not have as much ability to dictate dates, but with the world situation what it is in the US, I would do it sooner rather than later.

Have fun!

The anticipation can be almost as fun as the hunt!

Posts: 10963 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe would be my suggestion.

Buzz of CM Safaris

or

Guy Whittall of Roger Whittall Safaris

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 704 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Leopards are everywhere you hunt.

Trouble is getting a big enough male to feed during hunting hours.

I have been hunting them for so many years, and honestly believe it is all down to just sheer luck to get a shot at one.

You might have a big tom feeding, but he might only feed while you are away.

You will get numerous leopards feeding, you might see several, but getting a shot at the one you want is anyone's guess.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68598 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Luangwa valley if you want a Leopard and you will not be sitting for long.

Kafue and certain areas in Zimbabwe for big Leopards but they can be punctilious.

Look to spend 30K and add Buffalo or Sable to this hunt.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Phillip Smythe
posted Hide Post
Save Valley.

The key is knowledge of an area. Knowing the movements of the cats increases your chances but they are still cats.

Do not go cheap on a leopard hunt. There is a reason leopard hunts are cheap.... and you will spend the same amount of money going back twice or three times.

Subscribe to our Newsletter and follow us hunt to hunt -

http://mailchi.mp/eccf60046a6c/welcome-to-2018

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages...aris/286258951422383

PHOTO BLOG - https://instagram.com/ivorytrailsafaris/

Phillip Smythe
www.ivorytrailsafaris.com

16 Pendennis Rd,
Mount Pleasant
Harare
Zimbabwe

Cell - +263 772 413 618
email - phillip@ivorytrailsafaris.com

Posts: 252 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 21 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe or Zambia with a good cat man & don't make lowest price your most important criteria.

Tanzania is another good (but very expensive) option.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flat lander:
I am going to SCI in Las Vegas in a few weeks and was going to look for my first leopard hunt for late 2018 or early 2019. I am asking for some advice on which countries offer the best chance of success and which outfitters are recommended. I am hoping to tap into the wealth of experience and knowledge here! Looks to me like a leopard will cost the better part of 20K!

Multiply that by 2 if not more.That is if your lucky enough to get one.If you can get a wild leopard on the first hunt for 20K tell me about it.Some ass kissing too.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Leopard is the priority target one has to be prepared to make some sort of concession, both financially and patience-wise; you would be looking at a minimum 14 days in which to secure your prize.

Your bait species have to be utilized to their fullest, at the first opportunity on demand and obviously not all at once, which means selective shooting is often sacrificed if you are aiming to hunt a sizeable Leopard.

Find yourself a PH with a known reputation for Leopard hunting and let him get on with it - if he knows his bag of tricks he will school that cat to conform to his expectations.

TZ has no shortage of very good cats and given the tribulations that have besieged the industry in recent times, might just be the venue to get some good deals at the imminent SCI show.

Posts: 2029 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have zero experience and less than zero desire to shoot a leopard.

But I would recommend you contact Leon DuPlessis at Save Safaris or Duckworths at Mokore. These are professionals mwith high success rates on big cats.

My secret advice would be go to Mokore in save conservancy and hunt bush pig. Everyone of my bush pig baits was destroyed by lions and leopards.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks:

The leopard is one of the royal animals in the hunting world. I rank them along side a 6 or 7 year old whitetail buck in terms of difficulty of killing. There are many animals where the difficulty of killing them is the terrain or getting to their range but once in their bedroom, the leopard or older whitetail buck has no peer.

I too had to go on two leopard hunts before I was able to bag a leopard on my third hunt for leopard. My lack of success was due to two reasons--I used price as one of my considerations and I hunted with PH's that didn't know their ass from their elbow about hunting cats.

Finally, I wised up and hooked up with a old time legend----Roy Vincent. Result, I shot TWO male leopards in 5 days out of the same tree! Roy has since retired to Texas but his son is an outstanding PH in Tanzania. See Saeed's annual hunting clips for Alan in action.

So, you want to kill a leopard:
1. Don't let price dilate your PH selection.
2. Arrange a two week hunt solely for
leopard(except for baits).
3. Zambia, Zim, or Tanzania for areas of choice.
4. Select older, wiser PH. The most important
factor.
5. Hunt in daylight only areas.
6. Don't use too much gun. I had two, clean, one
shot kills with a .270.
7. Patience!

Posts: 46 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: 26 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I can highly recommend the PH Nigel Theisen and for leopard...the Bubye Valley Conservancy. Nigel is the ultimate professional. The BVC highly is likely to produce.

I have known and hunted with Nigel now for close to 15 years. I have a recent report in the Hunting Report section.

There are also very good options above with very good advice.

Safari 5 Africa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37719 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted leopard exactly 1 time and was successful. So was my hunting buddy. We hunted w Kambako Safaris in Mozambique. I highly recommend them. Ask to hunt w Ryan or Paul. They are very knowledgeable and have a long history of successful cat hunting. good luck, 163bc

Posts: 285 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would select a PH that's known as a "Cat Man" and let him refer you to an area that works for him. Luck is a big part of it but the other piece of the puzzle is a savvy Cat PH.

I would give Buzz of CMS Safaris a look. He usually has bait left over from previous hunts and can get them swinging your first day there.
Pre-baiting is an option as well.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I have a guy in Zambia that is 100% for 6 years and for my clients he will write in contract that if you don’t get a shot in daylight at a mature male, you can come back free. It is not cheap but beats spending $20k 3-4 times. We will both be ATL sCi and I could set up a meeting.

Buzz has some really good leopards right now in some great areas. He has the best leopard hunt for the best price that I know of.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
For me it also took 3 times and 54 days before I saw my first leopard. After those trips Im 3/3 for spots. All 3 in Zim. Do you want to bait or use dogs?

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call me crazy but if you want success why don’t you go to a concervency that allows lights in the night when cats are more active? Zimbabwe nuanetsi - (spelling)rings a bell among others and having a reostat with lights and microphone is an above excellent way to get your big cat. The other option would be the remote wild lands in the niassa but smaller cats in day time light.

Good luck!

Posts: 625 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being from Alberta, definitely look at Ethiopia. Rich Elliott who posts here, represents Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris and they will be at SCI.

When we were there on a Mountain Nyala hunt leopard sign was everywhere, along with their kills placed in trees.

Also, if you do some youtube searching Archie Nesbitt took one with a bow there and Jim Shockey almost got one with his bow.

They do produce some huge cats. Also, some black leopards have been taken.

Best of luck on your hunt.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9477 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a leopard on day 8 of a 14 day safari with Chifuti in Chewore South in 2013. No lights are allowed and I didn’t want to take one that way anyway. PH Rex Hoets really knows leopard hunting you need to find a wild location like the Zambezi Valley and focus in the leopard until you get one. Chifuti has bigger cats at Nuanetsi than my 6’8” 138 pound cat but they are cattle killers and educated. You may need to use a light there. Good luck. It is a great experience. That was my first safari.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't ask me, I'm 0 for 2! homer

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went on my first leopard hunt in July of '17. I booked and hunted with Martin Pieters. We hunted on the Bubiana Conservency. Got my leopard on day 3, I'm sure it was a freak thing but according to the statistics, the Bubiana is 100% on leopard. We saw plenty of tracks. Wasn't horribly cheap but successful.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1112 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phillip Smythe:
Save Valley.

The key is knowledge of an area. Knowing the movements of the cats increases your chances but they are still cats.

Do not go cheap on a leopard hunt. There is a reason leopard hunts are cheap.... and you will spend the same amount of money going back twice or three times.

Phillip has a very high success rates on big Leopard from what I have seen and if I was going to Zim he would be the PH of my choice. Thor Kirchner in the Luangwa will also get you a Leopard within 14 days and has some cracking Kudu and Bushbuck. Munyamadzi is one of the most scenic of concessions and can boast big game.

Look to spend a minimum of $1,500 a day and then add trophy fees, dip & pack and gratuities. My last quote for this sort of hunt was in excess of fifty grand.

AR's Faisal with a big Kafue cat.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9946 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't mess around if you want a Leopard. Go with the "cat man" Thierry Labat. His record is second to none. Got me a leopard on the first hunt as he has done with countless clients. Check with Safarilawyer. He has had great luck with Thierry.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much all!! As to bait or dogs I had never given it much thought, I guess the traditional way would be to sit in a blind at a bait so I would lean to that experience for my first hunt! Now I have some names to talk to in Las Vegas!!

Posts: 17 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Let me tell you about my first leopard.

We were actually putting up a bait in the afternoon, at the edge of a long and wide valley.

There was a waterhole close to the other side of the valley.

Roy was busy putting up the bait.

I saw a leopard walk out of the forest at the other side and walk to the water for a drink.

“Roy, there is a leopard drinking at the waterhole”

He paid me no attention, as he thought I was kidding.

Eventually He did see the leopard, and got behind an anthil hoping that the leopard might walk towards us across the valley after he finished drinking.

He did not.

He walk back to the forest which he came out of, and started walking up the valley.

We took our bait down, drove as fast as we could to get ahead of him, and put the bait up.

We made a very rough hide of grass, and left.

Early next morning we went back to our blind, and our leopard appeared just at day break.

A few minutes later, a 130 grain Barnes X out of a 270 Ackley put him down.

That was the easiest leopard hunt I have ever had, despite the fact of shooting quite a few more since then.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68598 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in camp with Thierry Labat several years ago. Very competent and worked hard to get his client a leopard in the lowveld of Zim. Same with Mark Vallaro. I shot a beautiful leopard with PH Andy Hunter on my very first safari. He is a very traditional and highly knowledgeable cat man that knows Bubye very well! Another choice is young PH Mark Bristow in Bubye. He and his family farm near the conservancy and knows the area well. He's another good one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never shot a leopard, but that is on my bucket list, but I an not a gambler, and spending $40K for a chance doesn't sit well with me.

Kirk Mason, a PH I once hunted with in Zim, told me of a hunt one time, when he spotted a leopard on a rock sunning. The client shot the leopard and darn if another leopard didn't pop up on the rock to have a look see.

Things like that happen once in a lifetime, though.

Had another PH tell me that leopard over bait has about a 20% success rate; using hounds ups it to about 70%. This was in RSA though.

Good luck.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apart from a good PH and area, PRE BAITING (where allowed) should be of utmost importance!
Pay for a week pre-baiting, the best investment. I had my cat on bait when I arrived.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not be far from wrong if I said that the hunts that seduced me the most were leopard hunts.Some hunts done by a few other members make me envious.All in one area in particular. I believe none of these hunts were pre-baited but many baits were used and once in a while a hunt was not successful but that was a rare occurrence.The area was very wild and full of quality game.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken more than my share of leopards and certainly more than I can financially justify, going over once or twice a year for the last few years. Trying to get it out of my system before the antis get importation closed down.

My advice pretty well mirrors others...

Pick a "Cat-Man" before any other decision. It is that important!

Follow the PH's advice.

Zambia is great. Some areas of Tanzania are good. I've had good luck in Namibia, but you have to choose carefully.

Check recent references. Check the Hunt Report. Check the archive here as well as general Google searches.

If you find a reputable cat expert that delivers better than 50/50 on daylight toms for less than 20K, let me know! I want to book him!

Good luck! Leopard hunts are the ultimate african hunt!

Posts: 552 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apart from a good PH and area, PRE BAITING (where allowed) should be of utmost importance!
Pay for a week pre-baiting, the best investment. I had my cat on bait when I arrived.

+1 Budget $30,000 not $20,000

Posts: 2642 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I have shot two leopards with Pierre Van Tonder total blind time 3 hrs. Selous game reserve. My 8.5 ft cat.
http://www.pvt.co.za/Gallery/2...nzania/Normal/30.JPG

Booth 5219 SCI

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to hunting Mr. Spots in Zambia or Zim as most posting here have. WE chose an area that had low hunting pressure and even less human village pressure.

Two cats dead and in the salt, killed in broad daylight at 17 & 19 yards, within 7 days of serious baiting.

Niassa Reserve, Mozambique.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7621 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
1. Add $10k to your budget.
2. Talk to Thierry Labat in Vegas.
3. Thank me later.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Location, location, location, PH and time of year are the 3 easy steps to finding yourself a gd leopard hunt. Have fun doing the research as it’s all part of the fun! Cheers

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Phillip Smythe
posted Hide Post
I think thats 5 things Thierry....

Wink

Subscribe to our Newsletter and follow us hunt to hunt -

http://mailchi.mp/eccf60046a6c/welcome-to-2018

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages...aris/286258951422383

PHOTO BLOG - https://instagram.com/ivorytrailsafaris/

Phillip Smythe
www.ivorytrailsafaris.com

16 Pendennis Rd,
Mount Pleasant
Harare
Zimbabwe

Cell - +263 772 413 618
email - phillip@ivorytrailsafaris.com

Posts: 252 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 21 November 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi There,
Having spent some time last year in both areas Lin Stanton of Mbalabala Safaris , got some good cats, and I can also recommend Chete or Sijarira Safari Area, with Jimba Safaris. I have personally hunted these areas and have been very lucky and also been stumped.

one thing for certain though, ranch cats are crafty but a definitely heavier than their zambezi valley counterparts.

Best of Luck

Michael Blignaut
+263777953271

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Not half the experience on leopard that many here have, but had a lot of luck. Anja took one in Namibia on first sitting on a kudu cow that the cat had killed the night before. Beginners luck. Certainly not a 'punctilious' cat, perhaps a bit persnickety, but not punctilious.

If we were to go after spots again, which we will one day, it would be Zim, Zam or Moz, 15 plus days and spending the money to get the best cat PH we can. Plus I would look at June / July.

Good luck and hope to read a report on here soon!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2321 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I shot my leopard in Tanzania on day 7 of the hunt. I would not do this again as sitting over bait in a blind does not do much for me. Should I do it again to greatly increase my chances (and cost!) I would use dogs and in Zimbabwe. Great and exciting fun and you'll walk your ass off when the dogs pick up a scent.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote