Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
In 1997, in my single barrel days, I took a .270 to Zimbabwe. Plains game dropped well if I did my part well. I would highly recommend the .270.
Cal

HOLY SMOKE Cal, I thought you were a Double Old Timer...just a kid, 1997!! I've got you beat, first African safari with Manton 470 1994, and owned a Jeffrey 450-400 several years prior while looking for the 470...

You have me beat in Quality and Quantity...and size too...not many can beat you there!!

Cheers,

470:
My first trip to Zim was 1994 with a 405 Winchester and a .375 H&H in a Neidner rifle.
1997 was a .270 and a .500 bpe.
I hope you can make or shoot on May 5. Shoot all of my boat anchors!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cal pappas:
HOLY SMOKE Cal, I thought you were a Double Old Timer...just a kid, 1997!! I've got you beat, first African safari with Manton 470 1994, and owned a Jeffrey 450-400 several years prior while looking for the 470...

You have me beat in Quality and Quantity...and size too...not many can beat you there!!

Cheers,

470:
My first trip to Zim was 1994 with a 405 Winchester and a .375 H&H in a Neidner rifle.
1997 was a .270 and a .500 bpe.
I hope you can make or shoot on May 5. Shoot all of my boat anchors!
Cal

Cal, My first safari was 1978 with a couple of Remington 700's 300Win Mag and 375H&H I was supposed to leave for the Outfitter. HA, he didn't show up, sent his son and it was a disaster...I brought the rifles back, and sold them. Fortunately we had a super 2 weeks prior in Namibia with 2 ranches through ANVO Safaris, Volker Grellman.

We are working on plans after the Double Shoot and Aviation Gathering...Fairbanks and maybe Valdez and the STOL competition/airshow??

I think you know I am in the yacht business...and I always admire fine Boat Anchors!!

How about a Double in 270 Win??!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 and 458 Lott it is Smiler

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have at them.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
It seems there are many here and elsewhere who believe the 270 Win cartridge is a gift from the hunting gods, that can take the moon out of the sky with one shot! Most however got that opinion from reading Jack O'Conner who in their opinion also never wrote anything that could be properly disagreed with.

IMO, the 270 Win cartridge with good bullets, and proper shot placement will kill very quickly. It is also true the "NEAR to perfect shot" may prove to be a little lacking on the larger PG animals in Africa.

I must admit I am not a fan of the 270WIN ,or Jack O'Conner. However if the OP can shoot his 270WIN Mod70 well, I see no reason anyone should tell him not to take that rifle to Africa, sense he is the one paying the trophy fees, he can choose any rifle/cartridge that is legal for PG in Africa, and have a great safari experience to remember for life!

................................................................................. old Good luck!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be clear I am only thinking of bringing the old 270 because it's a classic old rifle. I could bring any of my caliberseven a 375 for plains game. My other hunt in Mozambique was with a 300 wm and a416. I believe the 270 should be fine but nothing set In Stone

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found Federal Fusion ammunition to be accurate and effective. Reviews of this ammunition agree. I used 150 grain cartridges, .270 Winchester. Economical in price without compromise to terminal ballistics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Normally, a big bull elk is considered a ".30 caliber animal." Maybe so but I've never had any problems dropping them with a .270 using a 140 gr. bullet. I don't think you'll have any problems killing PG with one. [2 cents]

Posts: 48 | Location: About 2 miles from Viola, OR (pop 23) | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My own foray into the world of the 270 in Africa brought some not so unexpected results Eeker

On suitable game in terms of physical size the 270 does very, very well an especially where long shots are called for it certainly holds it's own .... something that is kind of expected! I hunted the Kalahari ( Gemsbuck and Springbuck) with a 270 and at some point a 25-06 ! Both to be recommended in this setting. Blesbuck and Springbuck black wildebeest in the Karoo tu2 tu2

The problems come when the animals get big !

Though we went to great pain to load with the heavier 150 gr bullet my own experience was that it is not good enough for the likes of large blue Wildebeest, and Waterbuck. Whilst the animals did finally succumb we only retrieved them a day later and by then the hyena and vultures had a go too.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
The .270 (any of them) is technically illegal to use in Namibia -- minimum caliber is 7 mm. I have a hard time believing that rule is enforced by outfitters.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by postoak:
The .270 (any of them) is technically illegal to use in Namibia -- minimum caliber is 7 mm. I have a hard time believing that rule is enforced by outfitters.

The 270/.277 is really 7mm in diameter. The 7mm/.284 is really 7 something mm.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Hey, you are correct! Seven milimeters converts to .275591 so the groove diameter of .270s is just over 7 mm.

The land-to-land diameter of .270 is 6.858 mm.

So I think .270s are okay.

Posts: 441 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ill be damned! .277 = 7.036mm ! Well hell now up is down, yes is no, black is white

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Namibia used to (have not looked it up in a while) 30caliber as the minimum for lion.

Does Namibia have a caliber and joule requirement? If it does, I am sure the 270 meets the caliber and joule requirement for the 7mm class of game.

4000 joules Zimbabwe requirement for dangerous game is only 3000 something foot pounds per square inch.

If you believe in traditional caliber/bullet math the 270 for all bullet weights is “slightly/minimally better” for lack of a better phrase than the 284 inch bullet diameter. Of course, the 270 tops out at 160 and the 284 at 173/175.

My point unless you are talking about the mega cases like the RUM, STW, whatever super wildcat the 7mm Rem on down are very comparable to the 270 Win.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Yes, Saeed has it in a sticky post:

Namibia
• Smallest caliber allowed 7 mm (.284).
• Minimum energy (Eo - muzzle velocity)
• Big Game
5400 Joule
(Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Rhino, Lion, etc.)
• Large Game
2700 Joule
(Greater Kudu, Cape Eland, Oryx / Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest, Blue Wildebeest, Black Wildebeest, Hartmann's Zebra, Burchell's Zebra, Giraffe, Sable Antelope, Roan Antelope, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, Leopard, etc.)
• Medium to Small Game
1350 Joule
(Springbok, Impala, Blesbok, Gray Duiker, Steenbok, Ostrich, Caracal, Black-Faced Impala, Red Lechwe, Damara Dik-Dik, Klipspringer, Black-Backed Jackal, Warthog, Cheetah, Nyala, Chacma Baboon, Game Birds, etc.)

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Uh oh, I just noticed it says 7mm (.284). Since 7mm does not equal .284 as I mentioned above, we have a conflict there.

EDIT: I went straight to the source, the Nambian Professional Hunting Association web site. It says only 7 mm, not .284, so I guess the .270 is okay.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken the 270 Win to Namibia several times, and they have never given me a problem while getting gun permits issued.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Omujeveon on their website states the 270is the smallest allowed with joules listed for each class. The 270 easily makes 2,700 joules even with 130 grain bullets. So, even Namibia thinks the 270 is adequate for game up to Kudu and even roan and eland. I would want a larger caliber for the last two but admit not mandatory.

So, 270 equals 7mm. I think someone thought 7mm starts at .284 for purposes of the sticky.