New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 win on plains game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a pre 64 270 win M70 would look good in Africa. Wish it was a 30-06 but with modern bullets I assume it would be just fine for PG?

Comments?

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take it. May I suggest my favorite bullet of 140 grain Accubonds. I hunted with it all last year taking a 210 pound Fallow, two boars, and two smaller whitetail deer largest about 120 pounds. All were pass throughs.

The Fallow was a lung shot and he dropped to the shot like he was spined. One boar was length wise penetration through the hip socket. These side completely unzipped. The other boar was a side shot through the spine.

I brained one deer and shot the other through center of both shoulder blades.

Not my personal first choice for elk,but neither is the 30/06. Taking another 270 back to Europe for Red and chamois.

Good hunting.

Posts: 12050 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
All depends on you.

Can you shoot it accurately?

If the answer is yes, you have no problem whatsoever.

Anything the 30-06 will do, the 270 can do too.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68653 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The late, great Jack O'Conner killed tons of African PG with a .270. Win. Other than availability of ammo, and a more varied bullet selection, there is no practical difference between a .270 and a 30-06 when it comes to killing PG. Use bullets with the right construction and place them accurately and you have "bang flops".

I have killed elk with both .270 130 gr bullets and with 150 gr bullets without any trouble.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
My "working rifle" in South Africa is a 270 with 140gr Accubonds too. I love it and have faith in it, BUT, there are better cartridges for your purpose, such as the 30-06.
By all means, go ahead, but just be aware of the limitations.

Posts: 786 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have lots of rifles but the pre 64 is pretty classic. I assume with Triple shocks it would be quite deadly and yes i am a "fair" shot lol. Blessed to live in the free state of Arizona

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've used my 270 Win. with 150 Gr. Nosler Partitions on a variety of plains game in Africa with great results. On my trip last May I had already shot two Eland with my .338 Win so I wasn't planning on shooting another. I was hunting with my .270 when another Eland showed up and presented to good a shot to pass up. I was somewhat hesitant about using the .270 on an Eland but took the shot. Guess what - that Eland didn't go any further than the ones shot with my .338. He piled up about 50 yds from where he was shot and left a blood trail that Stevie Wonder could have followed. Put the bullet in the right spot and it will do its job.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine went thru this about 6 months ago, I loaded up some 150 grain Accubonds for him and he went plains game hunting, 1 shot/1kills from 75 to 250 yds. on a variety of game up to Kudu.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I would do it and feel comfortable....If Jack O'Connor can do it...you can too. I shot an Eland with the 270 Win camp rifle in South Africa a number of years ago...a mercy killing of a sick bull...one shot in the head. What does this say about the selection of this Ranch for client rifle selection...they were comfortable too....

Most folks don't realize that the 270 Win has almost identical ballistics of the 7mmRemMag...nobody questions the capability of the 7Rem Mag!!

Good Luck, shoot straight!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you use a quality bullet and can shoot accurately, you will be fine.

My son has taken a lot of african plains game with a 7mm-08 with Barnes TSX bullets. On one of our Namibia trips, he shot 5 animals with 5 shots, and 4 of the animals didn't take a step after the shot. The one exception was a blesbok ran about 20 yards before killing over.

If you put a quality bullet in the right spot, you will be fine with a 270.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Q tu2 UOTE]Originally posted by Texas Blue Devil:
If you use a quality bullet and can shoot accurately, you will be fine.

If you put a quality bullet in the right spot, you will be fine with a 270.[/QUOTE]

tu2 dancing

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have used a .270 while hunting plain game in Africa, up to and including sable and kudu. The .270 is a deadly killer in the hands of a seasoned hunter.

Bye the bye, in the February, 1974 issue of "Outdoor Life", Jack O'Connor published an article entitled " The .270 in Africa". The article offers comfort to those that might harbor doubts about the effectiveness of the use of the .270 while hunting plain game in Africa.

Posts: 46 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: 26 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I miss having a .270 and it makes me want the one offered here...

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3453 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
One of the true things the 270 lacks is that name. 30-06...rolls off the tongue, it even looks better in print. flame

Posts: 3510 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
I would do it and feel comfortable....If Jack O'Connor can do it...you can too. I shot an Eland with the 270 Win camp rifle in South Africa a number of years ago...a mercy killing of a sick bull...one shot in the head. What does this say about the selection of this Ranch for client rifle selection...they were comfortable too....

Most folks don't realize that the 270 Win has almost identical ballistics of the 7mmRemMag...nobody questions the capability of the 7Rem Mag!!

That's my biggest complaint with the 7 Mag. I pour 50% more powder into the bigger case to get 200 fps with the same 140-150 grain bullets. It's only until you get up to 175-180 grain bullets where the bigger case gets you 350 fps of difference.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I probably shot more game animals with a 270 than Jack O’Connor!

I know I have shot several hundred African plains game animals, all the way up to eland.

I have used all 3 bullet weights, 130, 140 and 150.

I cannot honestly tell that any of them did any better than the others.

Bullets used were Barnes X, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and Jensen Solid shank.

Every single one of them worked perfectly.

Anyone who actually thinks that there is any difference in performance between the 270, 280 and 30-06 is just dreaming.

Posts: 68653 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
My uncle took two rifles on his safaris, a 458 and a 270 Model 70s. He used the 458 on the elephant and buffalo, but everything else, including lion (yes, LION) he took with his 270 and old style Winchester Silvertips. Then again this was in the 60s when we didn't know any better! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Took down a big polar bear with a 270 last year. Don't think plains game would be a problem or a elephant for that matter.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I was never really a fan of the .270 as I have seen it wound some of the larger antelope, however everyone seems to speak highly off it. Much prefer the .300WM if I had a choice.

If Saeed has taken hundreds of PG with the calibre then that is a good recommendation. However Saeed is a superb shot and knows the anatomy of animals.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9950 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll be different.

I've used the 270, 308 and 300 quite a bit. I far prefer even the 308 on larger game, certainly to 250m. A 165gr .30 cal in my experience is more effective than a 150gr .277. The 300 Win Mag with 180 and 200gr is more of a good thing. I own four 270s and I love it correctly deployed. I wouldn't worry too much. If you like the rifle and shoot it well load up good bullets and go for it.

I would call kudu my comfortable upper limit though. Be realistic about it and be patient and you will probably be okay. You may give up some opportunities due to your choice. Bear the limitations of any choice in mind.

Ross Seyfried penned a great article on the 270 for this very purpose. Search for it and your resolve to proceed will be strengthened.

I disagree that nobody questions the 7RM. Read The Perfect Shot comments for example regarding waterbuck - to clarify it is viewed as a minumum acceptable recommendation. Also read Gregor Woods. (Amplified to clairy what was said). Still a great cartridge though. There may be some calibre limitations by law depending on the intended quarry and the location... Although quite possibly it won't be raised.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Seyfried article was "Busting the Magnum Myth" but I seem unable to open it.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Further to FJOLDS comments on the 7mmRemMag, I was coached to take one for plains game on my 1984 Botswana Lion&Buff safari by very experienced African hunters. At that time Nosler had converted from the old turned H mantle or A frame design to the swedged bullet. I don't remember the bullet weight...but I had the confidence of experience and Nosler ammo.
Well, the results were dismal to embarrassing to say the least... Sable went down fine, one shot. Blue Wildebeest the bullet exploded on the skin, then ran directly towards our position, I took him running full bore in the head...lucky shot, down he went. Red Leche knocked down, not dead and needed a coup de grace, I put it in the head from 20 feet, went through like a pencil, no expansion. Tssessebe shot at 250 yards, standing, ran off into the Swamp and PH went after it, fearing I might contract Bilharzia, finished it with his 458 including a nick on one horn from close miss.
PH congratulated me for all shot placement, all were perfect...THE BULLETS UNIVERSALLY FAILED!!
We didn't lose any animals, luckily, however embarrassing and frustrating!!
I lost confidence in the 7mmRemMag and the "new " Noslers. Never used either again ....that's 34 years!!
That is a testament to using GOOD bullets! ! I used old turned Noslers I hunted up, later exclusively Trophy Bonded.

I like the 270 Win over 7mmRemMag that recently when I had acquired a beautiful pair of Al Biesen custom rifles on pre-war Mod 70's in 7RemMag and 338Win Mag, I hunted up another identical action, had Benchmark Barrels CnC an identical barrel in 270 Win. and Roger Biesen completed the fitting to stock, chambering, blind and test firing...I now have "convertible "... but what remains in the stock, 270 Win, the original 7mmRemMag barreled action sits!!
Bullets are different today and both command respect and confidence by users. That said I would pick one of my 2- 270's, the other a standard weight pre-64 Mod 70.
YES, I admit I am a member, staunch supporter, and donor to the Jack O'Connor Heritage Center in Lewiston... but results are what counts, but Jack was right too!!
FYI, a few of us have had the ultimate pleasure of target shooting Jack's last pre-64 Win, Mod 70 Featherweight 270 Win at a pre- event gathering of one of the Oregon double rifle shoots. You may see that rifle at the Center if son Brad doesn't have it out hunting somewhere!!
CHEERS,

470EDDY

Posts: 2674 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:

That's my biggest complaint with the 7 Mag. I pour in a 50% more powder into the bigger case to get 200 fps with the same 140-150 grain bullets. It's only until you get up to 175-180 grain bullets where the bigger case gets you 350 fps of difference.

And I pour a hell of a lot of powder into my 404J to get just 2250fps but of course I get that with a 400gr bullet. There is no complaint to speak of as you go up in cartridge size, you just get the same or more velocity with a heavier bullet. Why anyone pisses around with 140gr - 150gr bullets in a 7mm magnum is beyond me. I used a 7x61 S&H rifle for years taking hundreds of head of game using 160gr Sierra Gamekings at an honest 3000fps. This load hits long and hard.

You are correct though that the '06 sized cartridges and even the '08 sized cartridges will punch 140gr - 150gr bullets almost as fast as the magnum using less powder, but they will never quite match the magnum

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
OH, I forgot my most recent acquired Lee Kuhns custom on a pre-64 Mod 70, 270Win, it's a tack driver and almost too pretty to hunt...but it has!!

The original owner has taken several caribou, at least one Alaska moose, 2 Dall sheep, and several bears... proudly most one shot kills. Clearly the 270 Win WORKS!! His bullet of choice- Sirocco.
CHEERS

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
For a plains game hunt, to a high degree the "best rifle" is the one you're most familiar and comfortable with.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cable68:
For a plains game hunt, to a high degree the "best rifle" is the one you're most familiar and comfortable with.

Exactly!

And can shoot well.

If anyone asks me what the most important part of any hunt is.

Bullet placement trumps anything else.

Shooting anything in the wrong place, regardless of caliber, is going to give you trouble.

Shoot him in the right place, with a suitable bullet, and all will end well.

My professional hunter has always considered the 270 as a "minimum" caliber, and used to laugh at me using it.

We were following sable, I think, one day, when we came across the tracks of a large male lion.

I said "We got the wrong rifle for lion".

He said "No we don't. Just shoot ghim like you do any other animals. He would notice the difference"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
[QUOTE]Reply

Great comments. I hunt primarily with 300 mag and up out west and took a 300 wm on last hunt which worked great for PG. I am guessing a 150 gr. Triple shock would work great as they do on anything. The only advantage of a 30-06 is bullet weight but sounds like the old classic may be on its way

Who knows it may have been there before it was made in 1952

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was never really a fan of the .270 as I have seen it wound some of the larger antelope

No cartridge ever wounded game, the hunter who fired the shot is the one who wounded game.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
In 1997, in my single barrel days, I took a .270 to Zimbabwe. Plains game dropped well if I did my part well. I would highly recommend the .270.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
No cartridge ever wounded game, the hunter who fired the shot is the one who wounded game.

Absolutely Mike.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9950 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A PH friend of mine told me once he had two hunters from South America.

Both had 458 Winchester Magnum rifles.

It took the pair 27 rounds to kill a buffalo!!!

Talk about getting value for your money!! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gets the price per shot down nicely.

I read that 27 round story somewhere years ago. I want to say Capstick; but it was a long time
ago.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a .270 Win on several plains game hunts. I have also used a .338 Win Mag on the same hunts. Here's what I've learned:

1. Listen to Saeed's words about shot placement. I've seen bad shots with a .375 H&H fail to drop a Blesbok and good shots with a .223 drop a Blesbok in its tracks.

2. The .270 is a stone cold killer if you place the shot well and use a bullet built well enough for the game you are shooting.

3. I've seen one shot kills on lots of larger plains game animals with the .270 (Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Black Wildebeest, Gemsbok, etc.). Never personally seen an Eland taken with the .270, but many have been.

4. My first trip to Africa 18 years ago, I loved practicing with my .338 and used it as my primary gun. It dropped everything. 18 years and 5 trips to Africa later, practicing with the .338 gives me a headache while the .270 does not. I now use the .270 and .308 as my primary guns and they work wonderfully.

Practice lots with the gun you are taking, shoot accurately, use a good controlled expansion bullet. Take your .270 and have a blast. That's what I would do. I hope you have a great time on the trip!

Posts: 129 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 15 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the .70 and the .280 on plains game. Works great. Never lost an animal (40+ taken).
My son took his first kudu with a .243. I saw a PH take a sick sable with a .270.

Shot placement is the key.

We used Nosler Partitions, Triple Shocks, and an off brand in Namibia called Highland that looked like a Remington Core-Lok.

Focus on shot placement. Any bullet is fine except a ballistic tip or FMJ.

Posts: 10359 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
At that time Nosler had converted from the old turned H mantle or A frame design to the swedged bullet. I don't remember the bullet weight...but I had the confidence of experience and Nosler ammo.

470: not disputing your bad experiences but I put your query to a very knowledgeable gent and he opines those bullets were probably the old Nosler "Solid Base" introduced around that time and not Nosler Partitions. cheers, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AFRICAN LEADWOOD:
The Seyfried article was "Busting the Magnum Myth" but I seem unable to open it.

try this link:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/bl...ing-the-magnum-myth/

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years back my Wife used her .270 on a Bull Moose. One shot to the neck and he went down like a video game. DRT.

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
470: not disputing your bad experiences but I put your query to a very knowledgeable gent and he opines those bullets were probably the old Nosler "Solid Base" introduced around that time and not Nosler Partitions. cheers, jorge[/QUOTE]

JORGE- re 7RemMag-yes, one would expect that for starters but these were state of the art SAFARI PREMIUM cartridges by Nosler. They were their new (non-turned) swaged bullets...marked Nosler Partitions....I still have the remnants of them in my reloading room.
These bullets would selectively explode on impact on the skin, or no expansion and penetrate like a pencil...didn't seem to make a difference of distance for either to occur??!!One worked correctly on the Sable at about 140yards, first animal on that safari, and dinner too.
Cheers,

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
In 1997, in my single barrel days, I took a .270 to Zimbabwe. Plains game dropped well if I did my part well. I would highly recommend the .270.
Cal

HOLY SMOKE Cal, I thought you were a Double Old Timer...just a kid, 1997!! I've got you beat, first African safari with Manton 470 1994, and owned a Jeffrey 450-400 several years prior while looking for the 470...

You have me beat in Quality and Quantity...and size too...not many can beat you there!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I know that someone used my 375/404 on buffalo and he needed 12 shots to kill it!

And it was not Walter either.