Notify
Tools

What I learned from Mike_Dettorre
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In Mike's signature, I like this list.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. The laws of physics do not apply to firearms in that there is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges and some cartridges are so powerful their kinetic energy can knock big game off its feet but not knock the shooter who fired it off their feet.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified so it can carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and a detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that almost every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine including those chambered in 50 BMG.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (regardless that most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of the ding in the gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether the ding occurred in the safe or in the field because safe dings are ok but field dings are worse.
10. One in a row is a trend, two in a row is statistically significant, and three similar occurrences in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. The AR Posting Quotient: the total number of posts divided by the number of days as a member: if greater than 2.5, recommend therapy.
12. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa.
13. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, 9,3x62 and all Weatherby cartridges abound in back country stores.

What would you add, if anything?

For me, 1) don't argue with fools on AR as you both end up looking foolish.
2) on a practical side, hit in the right spot, nearly every animal dies quickly - unless your are using a non-premium bullet.

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
You drag your own gun to Africa , best for all is 375 bar none
Nothing comes even close for all reasons
If you enter PF, enjoy it

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
When I say shoot him in the big parts I didn't mean his dick.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9954 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In other words - bigger hole = bigger dead?..

Or with all things equal , bigger hole is better..

Posts: 10362 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I don’t think That’s what she said Ross

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Milan, that hurts my fragile male ego....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be clear, totally and unequivicably -

I respect Mike and his list. In this era of bombastic BS being dropped right and left - I refer to Mike's list as an inner sanctum of normalcy wrought from the hard dollars spent on experience. Not the drivel from a few wannabees that really have no actual experience and live somewhat imaginatively through others.

My hat is doffed to Mike for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can only say that every single bullet point is absolutly true.And I enjoyed it.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
When I say shoot him in the big parts I didn't mean his dick.

yuck

Posts: 2624 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Mike is a no BS kind of guy. I learned Varget is a good powder from him.
What I learned on another forum is:
The 270 is gay
the 30-06 sucks
Winchesters suck after 1964
Remingtons suck
Kimbers suck
Tikkas are the bomb
the 6.5 Creedmor is the answer to all questions
Leupolds suck
And if you don't have 10,000 posts you suck.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
In Mike's signature,

11. The AR Posting Quotient: the total number of posts divided by the number of days as a member: if greater than 2.5, recommend therapy.

10,683 posts in 5,543 days = 1.9 posts per day.

Whew!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
You can kill just about any animal around with an ice cube, if you send it fast enough and deliver it to the proper spot.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I would also add that:

When using Taylor's Knock Out formula (TKO) remember that a hand thrown baseball has no less than twice as much knockout value as your standard Nitro Express loading. Bouncing a baseball off an elephant's noggin may not produce the desired results.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I am at 2.4 post per day since rejoining in 2012. Not sure what I had before that.

What I learned is that:

1. Even though the 6.5 Creedmoor is less powerful than the 260 Rem, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a better long range cartridge. Even if you built two brand new rifles and both used the same 1 in 7 twist barrel, and shot 140 grain Berger VLDS out of both of them. " It is called Creedmoor for a reason". Though I have no idea what the reason is, or why it is signifigant.

2. If I spend $1000 on a g-whiz camo climbing jacket it will be more waterproof in Alaska than a $200 jacket made from rubber used in SE Alaska by fishermen.

3. I am not as an outfitter allowed to block clients from smoking or drinking while on my hunts.

4. I can expect to pay 20-40% minimum tip regardless of the outcome of the hunt.

5. If I show up in camp with a thumbhole stock, or a rifle built by anybody with the last name Lawson or Weatherby I should defect to North Korea immediately.

6. Father/Son combinations are ok. Daughters are supposed to stay home and bake cookies. We do not offer any father/daughter hunts.

7. It is ok to have a $70,000 half ton pickup with carpet on the floor. It is not ok to spend $10,000 on an elk hunt.

8. Javelina are game animals in all three states they inhabit. In Texas it is ok to shoot them and not take the meat, even though this represents a wildlife violation. But it is ok, because they are so destructive (even though they are native), but if someone wants to shoot one on my property they must pay me $1000.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I forgot,
Barnes "pencil on through" but mention Partition in a conversation and all game animals within a 1 mile radius fall over dead.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
I love Mike's list! I lack the gift of brevity, but here are concepts of what might be added with proper editing:

-If you're hunting in a 2000 acre high fenced area from a high seat you should be required to wear a pink frilly skirt, 60000 and under you get to wear stained, sweaty gear as long as you know you're not on a real hunt - However: Being hauled around by a guide, clothes washed daily, guide points out what to shoot and puts up the sticks for you - you're on a real hunt. NOTE: I don't care who hunts what from where or how, I get the concerns about hunting what's basically livestock, etc.. It's just that the debates on the topic are laughable.

- What constitutes a trophy. Shiny bosses with broken off tips or a "soft" boss with long, sweeping horns. Huge antlers from behind a fence or marginal, spindly antlers (or a doe!) after a solo six day backpack hunt. My point being: Who gives a crap what others, regardless of who they are, think is a "trophy"?

Go Mike D!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Oh goody! Time for my favorite!

If you learned how to judge it’s age on AR, you are an instant expert and you get to criticize anyone who shoots one that isn’t old as dirt. (Buffalo and/or Lion specifically).

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
He who dies with the most number of views and replies to his/her Hunt Report thread wins... unless over half of them are questions or replies by the thread originator to other posters to encourage other views and replies!

In which case you will be forced to shoot Saeed's .577 Tyranosaur on video and have said video posted for all AR to view.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
dogcat; et al,

I am flattered.

Similar to what Blacktailer said above, I am considering this one.

"A well hit animal can sprint 75 yards in open terrain and suddenly drop dead and have no exit wound, but the animal I shot that sprinted 10 yards into a thicket, and was never recovered was lost because the bullet penciled through and not poor tracking skills and I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence."

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Number 14 has been added.

Posting pics is like kryptonite, as countless individuals can take pictures with their camera or cell phone, transfer them to their computer, and attach them to emails; however, uploading them to a site and copying the appropriately formatted url is beyond their capabilities.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Number 15 has now been added...

15. Members with extremely high post counts are often the first to try to end an argument with “Do you think anybody cares about your opinion?”

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Number 16 has been added.

The Reply Factor: The greater the number of replies to a topic, the higher the probability of childish behavior.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Number 16 has been added.

The Reply Factor: The greater the number of replies to a topic, the higher the probability of childish behavior.

Sez you. moon

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
To me the best signature or part of a signature I have seen on here is: If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about no 18: Long signature lines, especially ones that are designed to make fun of other AR members or make them look foolish, are particularly irritating.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote