THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Long Grass or African Sporting Creations shooting sticks

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Grass or African Sporting Creations shooting sticks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Title says it all, in addition are the Long Grass Shooting sticks still being sold? I couldn't find them on their web site. Finally, if I buy the ASC sticks which ones would you recommend? I was thinking the hickory premium ones for $229.00

Thanks,

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck - I would personally use the three dowel and a bicycle tube version for practice ($12.95) Smiler then take a set of Bog Pod sticks with me as they condense down to a size that will fit in your Tuff Pak or other gun case. JMO.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I thought Long Grass said that due to time commitments they had stopped making theirs.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Chuck - I would personally use the three dowel and a bicycle tube version for practice

AMEN TO THAT. I think Home Depot even sells 6 foot bamboo poles that look really cool and authentic with the bicycle inner tube or vacuum belt holding them together! Spending $200+ on shooting sticks is like spending $100 on a cartridge pouch or $200 on a "safari shirt" or $500 on custom "safari boots". DEFINITELY fun....but not at all necessary and a bit silly when you think about it.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I have made them in both tripod and bipod, and both sets work perfectly.Here is the tripod version.The legs were bought at Home Depot, the bicycle tire and vacuum hose were bought next door at WalMart.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Now you take a can of black spray paint and give your sticks a squirt here and there, almost zebra fashion. Then the sticks are not quite so stark. Camo after a fashion. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG - Great looking sticks. Another option for fashions sake would be to take a propane torch and slightly spot the wood for a contrasting look. Did that with my set.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great suggestions. tu2 Mine have also "weathered" some, with use. I guess you could also stain them the color of your choice as well. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Shukaree
posted Hide Post
I just use bamboo for mine

To hunt, fish and tell only the truth.

Posts: 135 | Location: Brisbane Australia | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The third carousel down, here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...african-hunters.html might be of interest to you. Wink

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Great suggestions. tu2 Mine have also "weathered" some, with use. I guess you could also stain them the color of your choice as well. Big Grin

Well done.

Just a couple of suggestions:

1. Reduce the height of one of the sticks to the vacuum hose (O ring)- thus leaving the other two to form a V. The end of the shortened stick can be notched so the O ring grips the top of this stick

2. Try binding in a loose leather loop across the V in order to support the rifle.

3. Take a couple of extra O rings and wrap around each leg to stop the legs clattering when closed. Also useful as spares.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great suggestions here. I also cut the one stick off as fairgame mentioned. The o ring thing for noise reduction will be included as soon as I can get to town to purchase them.

Really, all those here are producing some really thought out, good looking, functional shooting sticks so maybe an opportunity exists here? I am sure someone could make and sell these models for a whole lot less than $225.00??

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Donny01
posted Hide Post
Use Enough Gun, did you melt the tubing onto the sticks?

Don Jooste & Doug Duckworth

doubledproductionsdon@gmail.com
doubledproductionsdoug@gmail.com
doubledproductionstara@gmail.com

Double D’ Productions

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am sure someone could make and sell these models for a whole lot less than $225.00??

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Larry,

Check that link I posted. The Stoney Point ones there cost US$28.26 with free shipping) for the bipod version http://www.amazon.com/Stoney-P...f&tag=shakari-new-20

and the Killzone tripod version costs US$34.99. http://www.amazon.com/KillZone...f&tag=shakari-new-20

One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donny01:
Use Enough Gun, did you melt the tubing onto the sticks?

In Zim its called Rekken and holds together almost everything from cars to guns to water pipes to houses.......Bicycle or car tyre inner tube...just stretched and wound on .........a whole book could be written on its uses......

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
Just get three broom handles and some cord.

http://www.ropeworks.biz/reader/tripod.pdf

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Donny01
posted Hide Post
Broom handles are nice but they tend to be much heavier and thicker...

Double D’ Productions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you leave the brooms attached you have a "super duper, three headed sweeping contraption". dancing

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve - Great price for Stoney Point sticks for sure. I have used them and they work fine, but don't posses the "warm feel" of genuine wood. Roll Eyes

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

I am sure someone could make and sell these models for a whole lot less than $225.00??

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Larry,

Check that link I posted. The Stoney Point ones there cost US$28.26 with free shipping) for the bipod version http://www.amazon.com/Stoney-P...f&tag=shakari-new-20

and the Killzone tripod version costs US$34.99. http://www.amazon.com/KillZone...f&tag=shakari-new-20

One of Us
Picture of Donny01
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you leave the brooms attached you have a "super duper, three headed sweeping contraption". dancing

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

HAHAHAHA thats what was getting in the way. Big Grin
I just finished making my shooting sticks today. I did it for under R50 rand, which is very good considering.

Double D’ Productions

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
don't posses the "warm feel" of genuine wood. Roll Eyes

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Larry,

Did you want to rephrase that? rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
he said WOOD not WOODY rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I don't speak American that well and thought it meant the same thing! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya ya ya we have heard that before rotflmo

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
quote:

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Larry thats asking for trouble. My missus is fine on one....now you want to give her 3 Confused shocker

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bicycle tubing is just tightly wrapped around the sticks. No melting, no gluing, etc. I start at the top and when I feel that I have enough covered, then I cut and tuck. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Got mine from Lowe's garden department. 3 - six foot pieces of Bamboo, one vacume cleaner belt and padded electrical tape.

I also did shorten the one stick as Fairgame suggests above.

I mostly only use them for practice at the range but Fairgame's suggestion of an extra belt for noise reduction sounds like a great idea ss well.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is Jim from African Sporting Creations. I applaud all those who make their own sticks as that is how we got started. We used to make one-piece versions and sell them for $29. Then folks started saying they wanted to take over the same set they practiced with and we developed a take-down model. The largest cost of our sticks comes from the 6 anodized aluminum connector components that have three points of contact and a rubber gasket that compresses with the last turn so they will not vibrate loose in the back of a safari vehicle. Are they expensive.....well that depends on your perspective. You can buy a $50 set every few years or you can get one set of these, spend less money over the long run and hand them down to the Grandchildren. They are guaranteed for life and we have PH's in Africa who have used them for over 1500 days without failure where they used to get less than 10% of that from the various Made in China models. We have taken apart almost every one of the competitive models and their adjustment mechanism is usually plastic or a thin piece of stamped metal. We are now also providing sticks to the Green Beret Snipers as their exisiting equipment was lacking. They are not for everyone and are over-engineered for 90% of hunting situations buy if you ever find yourself in a 10% situation you will probably think they were a bargain.

Jim
www.africansc.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim - Thanks for the details and updates on your product. I for one really appreciate your time and effort. Sounds like you have a really good, well thought out product. Will you be at SCI Reno? If so will stop by and have a look and chat.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Thanks for your interest and we will be in booths 311/312 in Dallas and in booth 750 in the main hall in Reno.

Best Regards,

Jim