THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Anyone catch Ruger's hunting show on OLN

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone catch Ruger's hunting show on OLN
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Jim Baker was in Namibia on tonights show hunting Red Hartebeest and Gemsbok.

He shot two nice animals but the show was absolutely atrocious.

He shot the Hartebeest three times, ok that happens but when they showed him shooting the third shot it was painfully obvious is was done at a different time. He was using a .375 H&H Mag. which due to his size was rocking him rather well on every shot. On the third shot he did not even move on the shot but there was a sound of the gun going off. Dubbed in or blanks....

During the Gemsbok session he purportedly shot low although it looked like a good shot to me. They mentioned hitting the shoulder. They walk up and on the dry ground are two pieces of shoulder bone laying there supposedly to confirm the low shot and the most obvious need to bring out the Jack Russell terriers for the follow up tracking. They then say it took about two minutes to bring the Gemsbok to bay, yeah there was a real need there. The whole thing was a phoney set up. I would really be upset if I thought he wasn't trying to bring the animal down with one shot just for his little TV show................

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
Did you like the way he held the empty in his mouth after he shot the Gemsbok Roll Eyes

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I caught the non-recoiling rifle on the hartebeast too.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1579 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I don't like that show. Tonight was typical from the shows I have seen. The host gets on my nerves and seems like a bad shot.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
The hartebeest kill was horrible. And I think he either missed or lost the first animal as the closeup showed NO hits on the shoulder. The gemsbok shot was a very low. If you look close, you can see where the bullet impacted, about 3" above where the legs joins the lower shoulder area. Also, if you look at his shooting technique, he lifts his head right as he squeezes the trigger. On a positive note, I just love those JRTs, and I miss mine very much....jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it. There was a couple hookey things, but all in all it was pretty good. So what if he botched a shot, we've all done it. IMO thats what makes the show worth watching! The shows that are one shot and the next sceen is walking up to the dead animal is IMO very staged. The more realistic the better.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Almost all hunting shows are staged in one way or another.

I was also questioning that 3rd shot at that hartebeest.

But...... it is refreshing to see a bad shot (just like real life) and how it is followed up by the PH.

Yes, we all want to make the perfect shot - doesn't always happen.

They could have just as easily shot another Gemsbok for the show.

Give them credit for putting it on camera - they also showed a leopard hunt with no leopard taken on another show about this hunt.

As well as a Kudu that was wounded by a poacher, and caught in a high fence that they had to put down.

It is not a bad show.

Any show about Africa beats a "huntin' whitetails from a treestand " show.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the worst shot (not rifle) is when the hunter, PH and tracker are walking into the camera view searching for the dead game and arrive at the game with the picture being taken from behind the dead species.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Overall, it could be a little better, but as Riodot said, anything is better than the tree stand whitetail hunting shows. Baker isn't my first choice for a host on any show...or second, or third. The dangerous game shows, however, I think are excellent.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
anything is better than the tree stand whitetail hunting shows. Baker isn't my first choice for a host on any show...or second, or third. The dangerous game shows, however, I think are excellent.

You mean the shows where every deer is either a perfect hit or s clean miss? bewildered

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I liked the Leopard hunting show. First time I've seen how hunting with dogs is supposed to work.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GMaxson:

You mean the shows where every deer is either a perfect hit or s clean miss? bewildered

You saw that show too? Yeah, when Bubba misses he misses clean!! animal

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The sad part of that show was I hunted in RSA once w/ a guy that was almost like that. Couldn't shoot worth a crap & then is all smiley & giddy about his trophy after he's put 4 bullet holes in it from less than 150yds. It bothers me everytime I watch some show like that.
The Buffalo hunt on the previous show was much better, although the guy hunting w/ his .460wby & trying to show the power of the cartridge by shooting a soda bottle was kind of funny. Now if he was shooting a 2000# soda botttle his results would have left him less impressed. hammering

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
although the guy hunting w/ his .460wby & trying to show the power of the cartridge by shooting a soda bottle was kind of funny. N

The "guy" is a fairly well-known PH who hunts with TGT safaris in Tanzania by the name of Scholz (sp?). The show was "Dangerous Game," arguably the BEST hunting show on TV nowadays.

He was using a 460 Weatherby on a custom CRF action. His first shot, admitted by him, was a bit too far back on the buff, but it left it pretty sick. The second shot at the base of the spine with the buff facing directly away, put him down in short order, then a "finisher" was administered to end it. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. Dangerous Game is a very good show. Do you know who McNeal, the other PH on the show, hunts with? I also agree that Jim Baker's show is terrible. On an earlier show he misses an animal (Kudu I believe) outright from about 130 yards. The way he raises his head as he pulls the trigger is very amateurish and very poor form. On the other hand, saw a Boddington show on Buff and was very impressed as he fired four shots at Buff from in very quick succession with his cheek never leaving the gun.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB:
I agree. Dangerous Game is a very good show. Do you know who McNeal, the other PH on the show, hunts with?

Tanzania Game Trackers

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Charles. EB

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote