THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Poll on hunting with a previously injured PH

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll on hunting with a previously injured PH
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
No disrespect intended to any PH, and hope for the quick recovery of those most recently afflicted, but this question crossed my mind.

How confident would you be in the "cojones" of a PH who was fresh back from a serious injury due to a charge? His/her job is to sort out the tough stuff, but how do you know he/she hasn't lost their nerve?

Question:
I would be the first client of a PH fresh back from a serious injury from a charge.

Choices:
Yes
No

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I voted yes, since I believe that the more likely result is that they would be at a heightend state of alert and care, not that they would be un-nerved.

Mike

Posts: 21248 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any body who has worked for more than a few years full time around dangerous game has had at least one close call. Most of us get away with it- usually with the thought along the lines of 'that was a bloody silly thing to do, won't try that again'. The unlucky get clobbered. the very unlucky get shot by their clients whilst something large is clobbering them...

Clif walker was asked by a learner PH on this years proficiency exams for a few tips...Clif (who is a very experienced and hugely respected PH) looked the candidate in the eyes and said with a straight face..."you want a tip? Well here's a good one...don't follow a wounded lion into the sugar cane".

PH's who have never had a close call take risks that those who have been thumped would think hard about!. There are times when there is no alternative but to try something dangerous...but you look at all the angles first.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Generally, I would have no problem - unless, of course, he had been bitten in the ass while running away.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
My PH - Wayne Bartlett - had been mauled by a leopard a few years ago. Didnt seem to slow him down any on our Cape buffalo and plains game hunts last month. In fact, his favorite game to hunt continues to be leopard and I understand he is damn good at it. He said I would be back in a year or two. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to hunt with him again.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Would I – yes. Less of a concern then hunting with a PH freshly gored/dumped by his girlfriend! Big Grin

Cliff at the proficiency exam…that just brings a smile (or is it a smirk!) to my face every time I think of it!

Talk to your PH, all have had situations. Whether they were chewed on, hooked, clawed, trunked, or fell out of a tree…or had a situation that could have been deadly…they most all bounce back and certainly the longer one does it the more “wise” they become. Real character-builders! Peter Chipman was trucked by that lion, and he was fine around them although he sure didn’t like elephant. My PH from Namibia had many stories, one being the time he was attacked by an ostrich…funny until you see their claws that could rip one open like they had a zipper! On and on…..these guys should all write books.

The thick jesse after tuskless elephant…well maybe that is another story. Most seem to avoid this, probably smart. I only met one PH in a camp who was noticeably impacted by his close encounters the previous season to the point where it could have impacted his ability to hunt.

You know, hopefully this is not arrogance, but I just do not see it as my PH’s “job to sort out the tough stuff” (no offence Wanna, I know this was not the point of your post). I would expect them to be there and greatly appreciate them coming thru in a pinch, but those that I hunted with all desire the same from their hunters. I would find it very hard frankly to let them go in first.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Generally, I would have no problem - unless, of course, he had been bitten in the ass while running away.

yuck rotflmo rotflmo

Bill C, I know exactly what you mean. No offence taken.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Many of my PHs have been hit or mauled. Never seems to have made a difference and all are still hunting. Sorta like riding a motorcycle. There are those who have gone down and those who will go down.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not give it a second thought to hunt with a PH who has been injured hunting dangerous game. It comes with the territory.

Brooks

Posts: 179 | Location: Virginia, NE. USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents, with respect. I'm trying to understand the premise of the question. Let's change the terrain a little. Would you go to combat with a leader, squad member, partner or subordinate that had been wounded in a previous fire fight? Would you ever fly with a pilot who had experienced a "hard landing" or other such incident? How about getting into a car with someone who had experienced a roll over accident?

Sorry. I'm sure someone will flame me for my response. Go ahead. It's the Internet.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
If I would have hunted with him before, I would certainly hunt with hime after.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not have any problem with this. If you do something long enough mistakes will be made, and hopefully a lesson learned from the experience. Our PH on our recent hunt to SA for plains game had a tracking dog that had recently recovered from having a leg (left front) amputated, due to a run in with a Bushbuck that a client had wounded. That little dog was hell on three legs, he wasn't timid or afraid one bit. Luckilly all my animals went down right there, so he wasn't put in the position to be ahead of us in the bush after a wounded critter, but just watching him take off after the sound of the gun and watching him charge up to the animals you could tell he had no fear. I would imagine that humans are the same. This little dog knew his business and loved the work. Our PH had some stories of his own of close calls, but no injuries, both on DG and plains game (sounded like the Bushbuck with their shorter straight horns can be quite nasty).

Posts: 273 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A non-issue.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
Would I – yes. Less of a concern then hunting with a PH freshly gored/dumped by his girlfriend! Big Grin

Cliff at the proficiency exam…that just brings a smile (or is it a smirk!) to my face every time I think of it!

Talk to your PH, all have had situations. Whether they were chewed on, hooked, clawed, trunked, or fell out of a tree…or had a situation that could have been deadly…they most all bounce back and certainly the longer one does it the more “wise” they become. Real character-builders! Peter Chipman was trucked by that lion, and he was fine around them although he sure didn’t like elephant. My PH from Namibia had many stories, one being the time he was attacked by an ostrich…funny until you see their claws that could rip one open like they had a zipper! On and on…..these guys should all write books.

The thick jesse after tuskless elephant…well maybe that is another story. Most seem to avoid this, probably smart. I only met one PH in a camp who was noticeably impacted by his close encounters the previous season to the point where it could have impacted his ability to hunt.

You know, hopefully this is not arrogance, but I just do not see it as my PH’s “job to sort out the tough stuff” (no offence Wanna, I know this was not the point of your post). I would expect them to be there and greatly appreciate them coming thru in a pinch, but those that I hunted with all desire the same from their hunters. I would find it very hard frankly to let them go in first.

I know what you mean Bill

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
Gents, with respect. I'm trying to understand the premise of the question. Let's change the terrain a little. Would you go to combat with a leader, squad member, partner or subordinate that had been wounded in a previous fire fight? Would you ever fly with a pilot who had experienced a "hard landing" or other such incident? How about getting into a car with someone who had experienced a roll over accident?

Sorry. I'm sure someone will flame me for my response. Go ahead. It's the Internet.

I can relate. I've bent a couple of airplanes over my career. The first thing to do is to get back in another one and fly it.

I would not hesitate to hunt with a guy who has been hit. If he has the moxie to show up, good for him.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well he's getting right back in the saddle isnt he!! thumb

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Anybody that has doubts about a tossed and turned PH I would prefer not to be behind me with a gun. Seems to be too nervous for my liking! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19320 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
My only concern would be in if the said PH was returning to the field to take me out and was not fully recovered from said injuries. I would hate to think he was not properly recovering because he did not want to lose my booking or let me down.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
On upside to not being "fully recovered" is you can probably outrun him Big Grin

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I earned more than one purple heart and I would really have hated it if the team wouldn't go downrange with me as a result; so, of course I would hunt with a ph who got tagged.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would you have an operation by a surgeon who lost his last patient? Had a bad result on his last patient. These guys are PROFESSIONALS and as such are trained to move on and stay on the task at hand. Now if a particular PH or Outfit or pilot or Surgeon made a habit of close calls or poor results than that may be another story...hopefully those characters don't stay in business long. These forums are a great tool to communicate such things and help others avoid a poor choice, IMHO

Posts: 98 | Location: NW Missouri | Registered: 26 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Not a problem whatsoever. My PH from 2003, Howard Hunter, was shot in the arm by his client (in 2004) as he was getting hit by a charging buffalo. He's a fine PH, and the fact that he got seriously hurt doesn't change that.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote