New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elephant Fence in Nixon's Area???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I heard a rumor that some German's had put up a elephant fence along the park border in Malapati
It's just a rumor but wondering if anyone had any information about it?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Nope. There is a fence going up around part of the park, but not near Malapati. It is the German Geological Society. As of now, no plans for it to be around Malapati. Aaron and I have talked to a lot of folks over there about this, and all sources confirm- as well as my client who just returned on May 12. BTW...I got word that Bobby Lowe killed an 85 pounder with Nixon early this week.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
85 WOW Thanks for clearing that up!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
Nope. There is a fence going up around part of the park, but not near Malapati. It is the German Geological Society. As of now, no plans for it to be around Malapati. Aaron and I have talked to a lot of folks over there about this, and all sources confirm- as well as my client who just returned on May 12. BTW...I got word that Bobby Lowe killed an 85 pounder with Nixon early this week.

Tim is correct. The fence has impacted certain other operators but nor Nixon.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tim,
do you know the purpose of this fence?

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2092 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
85 pounder?
Pictures please Tim.
Nothing like big elephants hunting.
Ultimate adventure straight from my great grand dad " the Neanderthal "

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Great news about Duxdog. Lucky guy, that's his second elephant hunt with Nixon!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be there next Thursday with Nixon in Malapati for Buff. Good news on the fence, or lack thereof :-)

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
The purpose is to keep animals in and keep them from being shot- ridiculous...the park already has way too many eles, and this is really going to hurt the income of many local communities.

I don't have a photo of Bobby's ele. I am sure he will post when he gets back.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fencing on the Zim side or Moz side?

Posts: 1920 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
for sure on Zim side, and I know it has affected some outfitters' hunting - I am not sure about the Moz side.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic,

Bobby has waited for a couple of years,man was it worth it. Great job Bobby, couldn't happen to a nicer fellow..Big Congrats, Butch

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Your LCTF at work. Smiler

Re: Malapati / Ghonarzhou‏
Aaron Neilson
5/02/13
To: hugo@****.***, ledvm@msn.com

Cc: rosemary@africanwildlifeconservationfund.org

Hugo - See below (Aaron) in Red. Sir, thank you kindly for your response, I really appreciate it.

Aaron Neilson

Safari Outfitters
Global Hunting Resources (Colorado & New Mexico)

Danny McCallum Safaris
P.O. Box 620459
Littleton, Co. 80162
303-932-0550: Office
303-619-2872: Cell

www.safari1.com
www.globalhuntingresources.com

www.dannymccallumsafaris.com

HOST - "TRIJICON'S WORLD OF SPORTS AFIELD" ONLY ON THE SPORTSMAN CHANNEL.
JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK - http://facebook.com/aaronneilson.globalhunter

-----Original Message-----
To: globalhunts <globalhunts@aol.com>
Cc: rosemary <rosemary@africanwildlifeconservationfund.org>
Sent: Wed, May 1, 2013 11:38 pm
Subject: Re: Malapati / Ghonarzhou

Hi Aaron

National Parks has made the decision to fence certain sections of the Gonarezhou where there are: human encroachment on the boundary , livestock pressure, poaching pressure etc. Safari hunting areas are good buffer zones for Gonarezhou but unfortunately some operators around Gonarezhou are not re investing in their areas but only hunt on the park boundary and therefore gonarezhou does not really enjoy the benefits of a buffer zone.

Ok, understood. I will start off brief, as these things can get going quickly - but would you sir be interested/willing to help provide to me info/advice and direction, that I could use to "help" the safari industry guys in the area, contribute in a productive way? Sir, I have copied in here, my "Lion Conservation Task Force" "LCTF" co-founder, Dr. Lane Easter DVM. Without going into huge detail, we have literally transcended the long drawn "line in the sand" if you will, between the hunting and scientific communities - in an attempt to help, support, and protect, Africa's wild lion populations. We have done a good job of it so far, and garnered alot of support/respect from both sides in the process. Something that has allowed us to "pressure" if you will, the hunting industry into doing what's right, when its right, and for the right reasons.

What I mean with the benefits in a buffer zone is good management which include law enforcement so that poachers don't use the buffer zones to get into gonarezhou, investment in roads fire management , etc so that species such as elephant and wilddog are actually resident in those areas. we recently held a meeting and invited all operators. Nixon was the only operator that sent a representative but it was important that people such as yourself was present so that these issues can be discussed.

Ya, I see and understand your point!!! It could take some time, but this sort of thing is what we can help with. You know as well as I, there is a contentious position between "hunters & Conservation/scientists", but we also both know that this needs to stop, and both parties need to work together to HELP the wildlife, for a common end result.

The relationship between the gonarezhou and the adjacent area should be seen as a partnership but for a partnership to work we need to work hard from both sides.

Sir, I'll take what you say here at face value, until you give me a reason not to believe you, or trust you/your intentions. In return, I'll ask you to do the same, and if need be, check with a bunch of the lion scientists around the continent (Rosemary knows who they are) and ask them if we here at the "LCTF" are indeed most concerned with conservation, and do in fact, work to CHANGE things amongst our own industry.

Fencing should only be a last resort if that partnership is not working.

Agreed, and let's work together to keep this from happening.

It will be good to meet so that we can discuss this issues in more details. Agreed!!

Hugo, we as hunters/conservationists love and care for Africa's wildlife as much as anyone. As an industry we are NOT perfect, but believe me when I say that alot more of us care and believe in conservation minded hunting, than do not. Most importantly is a joint effort between folks like your group and ours. Its time for the two side to stop any/all bickering and work for the darn wildlife, and its continued existence. Kick this around a bit, and let us know your thoughts too?

Best hugo

Sent whilst mobile

On 01 May 2013, at 2:10 PM, globalhunts@aol.com wrote:

Rosemary - Ma'am, thank you for the info.

Hugo, sir I hunt/book with Nixon Dzingai in his Malapati concession on the SW border of the park. I was trying to find out any info that may either confirm/deny the rumors I have heard recently about a park border fence?

Is there a fence anywhere along the park border?

Thank you,

Aaron Neilson

Safari Outfitters

Danny McCallum Safaris
P.O. Box 620459
Littleton, Co. 80162

www.safari1.com

To: <rosemary@africanwildlifeconservationfund.org> <rosemary@africanwildlifeconservationfund.org>
Cc: <globalhunts@aol.com> <globalhunts@aol.com>
Sent: Wed, May 1, 2013 1:11 am

Maybe Aaron can tell us where he is hunting so that I can help him with his dilemma. Best hugo

Sent whilst mobile

On 01 May 2013, at 8:55 AM, "Rosemary Groom" <rosemary@africanwildlifeconservationfund.org> wrote:

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your email. There is currently no fence along the Gonarezhou Malipati boundary, and as far as I am aware, there are no immediate plans to fence that boundary. There have been some discussions recently about the possibility of fencing some other areas of the pack, if activities in those areas continue to threaten the integrity of the park and the wildlife, but this is considered as a last resort and alternative solutions are being sought first.

But to my knowledge, there are no plans to fence the boundary between Malipati and the park

I have copied in Hugo van der Westhuizen from Frankfurt Zoological Society, who may be able to comment further.

Regards,

Rosemary

Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 4:35 AM
To: rosemary@africanwildlifeconservationfund.org
Subject: Malapati / Ghonarzhou

Rosemary - Ma'am, could you help me with a bit of a dilemma I am having at the moment? I have very recently heard conflicting rumors of some sort of perimeter / elephant & buffalo proof fence that has been erected along the Ghonarzhou / Malapati border, and elsewhere? The rumor I hear is the German Conservation group (which I've seen around there alot) are responsible for the fencing, etc?

Seems awfully odd, but I've heard it from several folks in the past 48 hrs - and I cannot reach Nixon at the moment, as he's out of the office.

Thank you for you help!

Regards,

Aaron Neilson

Safari Outfitters

Danny McCallum Safaris
P.O. Box 620459
Littleton, Co. 80162

www.safari1.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Your LCTF at work. Smiler
Gotta love these so called environmental groups. In the name of whatever, close down everything. It is a sad world of affairs.

Re: Malapati / Ghonarzhou‏
Aaron Neilson
5/02/13
To: hugo@****.***, ledvm@msn.com

Cc: rosemary@africanwildlifeconservationfund.org

Hugo - See below (Aaron) in Red. Sir, thank you kindly for your response, I really appreciate it.

Aaron Neilson

Safari Outfitters

Danny McCallum Safaris
P.O. Box 620459
Littleton, Co. 80162

www.safari1.com

To: globalhunts <globalhunts@aol.com>
Cc: rosemary <rosemary@africanwildlifeconservationfund.org>
Sent: Wed, May 1, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi Aaron

National Parks has made the decision to fence certain sections of the Gonarezhou where there are: human encroachment on the boundary , livestock pressure, poaching pressure etc. Safari hunting areas are good buffer zones for Gonarezhou but unfortunately some operators around Gonarezhou are not re investing in their areas but only hunt on the park boundary and therefore gonarezhou does not really enjoy the benefits of a buffer zone.

Ok, understood. I will start off brief, as these things can get going quickly - but would you sir be interested/willing to help provide to me info/advice and direction, that I could use to "help" the safari industry guys in the area, contribute in a productive way? Sir, I have copied in here, my "Lion Conservation Task Force" "LCTF" co-founder, Dr. Lane Easter DVM. Without going into huge detail, we have literally transcended the long drawn "line in the sand" if you will, between the hunting and scientific communities - in an attempt to help, support, and protect, Africa's wild lion populations. We have done a good job of it so far, and garnered alot of support/respect from both sides in the process. Something that has allowed us to "pressure" if you will, the hunting industry into doing what's right, when its right, and for the right reasons.

What I mean with the benefits in a buffer zone is good management which include law enforcement so that poachers don't use the buffer zones to get into gonarezhou, investment in roads fire management , etc so that species such as elephant and wilddog are actually resident in those areas. we recently held a meeting and invited all operators. Nixon was the only operator that sent a representative but it was important that people such as yourself was present so that these issues can be discussed.

Ya, I see and understand your point!!! It could take some time, but this sort of thing is what we can help with. You know as well as I, there is a contentious position between "hunters & Conservation/scientists", but we also both know that this needs to stop, and both parties need to work together to HELP the wildlife, for a common end result.

The relationship between the gonarezhou and the adjacent area should be seen as a partnership but for a partnership to work we need to work hard from both sides.

Sir, I'll take what you say here at face value, until you give me a reason not to believe you, or trust you/your intentions. In return, I'll ask you to do the same, and if need be, check with a bunch of the lion scientists around the continent (Rosemary knows who they are) and ask them if we here at the "LCTF" are indeed most concerned with conservation, and do in fact, work to CHANGE things amongst our own industry.

Fencing should only be a last resort if that partnership is not working.

Agreed, and let's work together to keep this from happening.

It will be good to meet so that we can discuss this issues in more details. Agreed!!

Hugo, we as hunters/conservationists love and care for Africa's wildlife as much as anyone. As an industry we are NOT perfect, but believe me when I say that alot more of us care and believe in conservation minded hunting, than do not. Most importantly is a joint effort between folks like your group and ours. Its time for the two side to stop any/all bickering and work for the darn wildlife, and its continued existence. Kick this around a bit, and let us know your thoughts too?

Best hugo

Sent whilst mobile

On 01 May 2013, at 2:10 PM, globalhunts@aol.com wrote:

Rosemary - Ma'am, thank you for the info.

Hugo, sir I hunt/book with Nixon Dzingai in his Malapati concession on the SW border of the park. I was trying to find out any info that may either confirm/deny the rumors I have heard recently about a park border fence?

Is there a fence anywhere along the park border?

Thank you,

Aaron Neilson

Safari Outfitters

Danny McCallum Safaris
P.O. Box 620459
Littleton, Co. 80162

www.safari1.com

To: <rosemary@africanwildlifeconservationfund.org> <rosemary@africanwildlifeconservationfund.org>
Cc: <globalhunts@aol.com> <globalhunts@aol.com>
Sent: Wed, May 1, 2013 1:11 am

Maybe Aaron can tell us where he is hunting so that I can help him with his dilemma. Best hugo

Sent whilst mobile

On 01 May 2013, at 8:55 AM, "Rosemary Groom" <rosemary@africanwildlifeconservationfund.org> wrote:

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your email. There is currently no fence along the Gonarezhou Malipati boundary, and as far as I am aware, there are no immediate plans to fence that boundary. There have been some discussions recently about the possibility of fencing some other areas of the pack, if activities in those areas continue to threaten the integrity of the park and the wildlife, but this is considered as a last resort and alternative solutions are being sought first.

But to my knowledge, there are no plans to fence the boundary between Malipati and the park

I have copied in Hugo van der Westhuizen from Frankfurt Zoological Society, who may be able to comment further.

Regards,

Rosemary

Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 4:35 AM
To: rosemary@africanwildlifeconservationfund.org
Subject: Malapati / Ghonarzhou

Rosemary - Ma'am, could you help me with a bit of a dilemma I am having at the moment? I have very recently heard conflicting rumors of some sort of perimeter / elephant & buffalo proof fence that has been erected along the Ghonarzhou / Malapati border, and elsewhere? The rumor I hear is the German Conservation group (which I've seen around there alot) are responsible for the fencing, etc?

Seems awfully odd, but I've heard it from several folks in the past 48 hrs - and I cannot reach Nixon at the moment, as he's out of the office.

Thank you for you help!

Regards,

Aaron Neilson

Safari Outfitters

Danny McCallum Safaris
P.O. Box 620459
Littleton, Co. 80162

www.safari1.com

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I think all is good right now. They agrred to keep us in the loop and lets know their plans.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Man they shoot some good elephants in this area. If I recall right on this area is not a lot of these ele shot at night? If so does anyone know what roughly the percentage of these big guys are shot at night?
Thanks

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
They do shoot some at night, but the word I got from Nixon's office was that Bobby killed this big bull at 16:00...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
They do shoot some at night, but the word I got from Nixon's office was that Bobby killed this big bull at 16:00...

sweet.....

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
WOW! Can't wait for the pics and the report! tu2

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Gents
I've hunted there
All during the day and Nixon is Da Man
It may be tough at times, but great hunting necertheless

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I looked into booking my 2014 ele there and was told straight up...many shot at night.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
All during the day and Nixon is Da Man.

quote:
I looked into booking my 2014 ele there and was told straight up...many shot at night.

Curious. We have two posts, back to back, one says all are shot during the day and the other says many are shot at night. I know that I have an acute perception of the obvious but both cannot be right. Almost like listening to the IRS testify before Congress.

Mike

Posts: 21696 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Many people will only hunt during the day, because that's whay they want their hunt to be.

Some will hunt at night because they are told from the beginning that doing so increases their odds of success on big nzou.

Comes down to personal preference.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Will nailed it. Nixon would hunt you 24 hours a day if you wanted to. He is go, go, go on eles. Milan (Boarkiller) hunted his 2 BIG bulls in day in Nov. It is a choice as both are legal there in the comm. areas. That is the reason I changed my hunt this year from April/May to Sept. I wanted a better chance at daylight bull. I think a larger percentage of bulls killed Feb-May are at night in crops (again legal).

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:

Hunting elephants at night bears little resemblance to spotlighting deer. Imagine finding an elephants in the dark, judging it, stalking it ALL in the dark . The light used only for the shot. It is not for the faint of heart. It is far more dangerous and difficult .

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Malapati is a safari area, no night hunting at all. As for the communal land areas, night hunting is legal and common in these areas.

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Gentlemen:

Hunting elephants at night bears little resemblance to spotlighting deer. Imagine finding an elephants in the dark, judging it, stalking it ALL in the dark . The light used only for the shot. It is not for the faint of heart. It is far more dangerous and difficult .

I did not knock it...just stating what I was told.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, I agree with you. Ele night shooting is certainly not spot lighting deer. My preference is to do it the hard way and that is mile afer mile of boot leather but I have shot a few at night and I can say it is not for the faint of heart. While it is fun, the part that always gets me is that even in daylight it is hard to judge ivory to the 5 pounds and at night it is much harder. You get close, you hear them, you see the body shape but it takes one hell of a PH to know if he is big enough or not. How Nixon is good at this surprises me but results are results so who can argue. I am curious what Buzz, Martin, Thierry, Russ, Andrew, (the guys that know shit from shinola and post on here) think about judging at night. Hate to hijack a thread but I have always been curious about that. I am sure all of them have had their share of night eles.

Comments please,

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
Its not about judgement, its about what is right, elephant deserve to be hunted the proper way period. I am sure most if not all elephant hunters would agree!

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by martin pieters:
Its not about judgement, its about what is right, elephant deserve to be hunted the proper way period. I am sure most if not all elephant hunters would agree!

I am not an elephant hunter but would agree.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin, I agree with how an ele should be hunted, 100%. That being said and never having hunted a trophy bull but the right way I can stand on that but the question still remains and it may even be one of when sorting out a PAC ele at night, the worst thing you could do would be to shoot a trophy so whether the goal is to shoot a trophy or intentionally not shoot a trophy, what are your views on Ivory judging at night. I am really curious how you do it and what you think about the reality of getting it right. A mistake either way could ruin a safari.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBBear:
Larry, I agree with you. Ele night shooting is certainly not spot lighting deer. My preference is to do it the hard way and that is mile afer mile of boot leather but I have shot a few at night and I can say it is not for the faint of heart. While it is fun, the part that always gets me is that even in daylight it is hard to judge ivory to the 5 pounds and at night it is much harder. You get close, you hear them, you see the body shape but it takes one hell of a PH to know if he is big enough or not. How Nixon is good at this surprises me but results are results so who can argue. I am curious what Buzz, Martin, Thierry, Russ, Andrew, (the guys that know shit from shinola and post on here) think about judging at night. Hate to hijack a thread but I have always been curious about that. I am sure all of them have had their share of night eles.

Comments please,

I agree and I prefer the traditional way. However, in some areas (Mahenye for example) the elephants often do not come out of the park until dark.

Hunting them in the dark has its own unique set of hazards. For example, bumping into an elephant unexpectedly in the dark.

It is not at all easy. I covered miles of river sand in the dark to get close enough to try and get a look. I don't regret doing it. I do not want to do it again.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
night vision??? they use them for hogs here in US, what about eles?

I don't want to get into what is right or not right- I obviously want to hunt daylight as I changed my dates because of that, but to each their own if they are legal hunts.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think night vision optics are legal. Not sure on which end but they are awesome. I took mine one time before I was informed they are not allowed. We had a ball with them chasing elephants but the thought of a Zimbabwe prison is chilling. Check to see if they are OK now.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are used in communal areas. I presume they are legal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did some night Ele hunting twice, once in Gokwe South and the other at Malapati Communal and Sengwe II Communal. I really wanted to kill my elephant in the daylight, but gave it a try to increase my odds. It is spooky stuff, but Nixon is very good at it. Fortunately, I shot both my elephants in daylight hours after tracking them, the way I wanted to in the first place. If you hunt with Nixon in the (our)spring/crop season be prepared to night hunt, if you want to hunt daylight only, pick the late season. If I hunted Elephant with Nixon again, having done the March thing, I would go back late season. The Buffalo hunting seems to be good all the time.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
night vision??? they use them for hogs here in US, what about eles?

May be wrong, but I think our gubment won't allow the exportation of night vision equipment. I know, I know ... It's not being exported, but try telling that to TSA. You know they can be so reasonable Roll Eyes

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks, very simple stuff here. Best to experience it for yourself, than to speculate and repeat what Jimmy's, sister's, ex-husband said two years ago - but anyway.

No Fence at/near Malapati!

If you go with SSG Safaris EARLY in the year, you are "more" likely to shoot your elephant at night - or not at all. I will NOT book hunters into this area early in the year - unless they insist! Totally legal in comm areas, just different.

At anytime a big elephant can be shot in daylight, just as the big 85lb bull shot this past Monday at 4pm. As the season goes on, opportunity for more elephants/big elephants will be greater with each passing month.

I shot my 84lb bull in Sept 2011, at 4:30pm in the afternoon (you can see it on the GLOBAL HUNTER DVD). I also passed a 65lb bull two days earlier at roughly 5pm. Last year, the biggest bulls were shot Oct/Nov, all in daylight. Including Milan's 80lb bull.

Both Parks, Ghonarzhou/KNP have an extreme over-abundance of elephants, buff, etc. These areas will always/forever hold and produce huge elephant bulls/buffalo bulls, etc. The "opportunity" is/always will be here to shoot a big elephant, but odds are never good for a truly big bull - just that simple. The point is, to kill something BIG, the area has to have BIG ones to start with, period! Nixon's areas have that potential at any moment.

Hunt the Valley for the next 30 yrs, you WILL NOT SEE/SHOOT an 80lb plus bull. Cool
In the past couple of years, Nixon has taken at least 7 bulls over 80lbs that I know of. Like I said, if you want a chance to catch a big fish, you better go fishing where there is big fish!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
All during the day and Nixon is Da Man.

quote:

IRS my you know what Dude. simply put, there is times when the movement is at night and times when they move during the day. I've been there you haven't so shut up Dude

Curious. We have two posts, back to back, one says all are shot during the day and the other says many are shot at night. I know that I have an acute perception of the obvious but both cannot be right. Almost like listening to the IRS testify before Congress.

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
BTW...just got an email that Bobby's ele went 92lbs (not 85)

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com