Find
Notify
Tools

Wedding is done...Africa is next
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted
Well, I'm through spending my African hunt funds on my daughter's wedding (my only daughter, thank God).

Me and my daughter dancing while the groom dances with his mother. Pic quality is lacking, but the missus was crying on and off all night and I believe that affected her aim. I never cried, but that dry southern California air did make my eyes get wet one time.

On the flight back from California, my missus mentioned we should make another trip back to Cali to spend more time with our daughter and her husband and play around Newport Beach and such. I reminded her, I'd be more than pleased to do so...just as soon as I return from my African hunt. "She who must be obeyed" admitted to remembering she'd agreed to put as much enthusiasm into my endeavor as she did into the wedding. Yay!!!

The dilemma.
- Buff hunt in Zim, potentially with my son along as an observer
- 2x1 plain game hunt with my son in RSA or Namibia
Thoughts?

I'm cautiously optimistic about a 2010 hunt, but 2011 may be more realistic. Work makes it hard to plan very far ahead but that may allow us to act on hunts similar to recent good deals we've seen in the AR outfitters forum.

Money is a concern as we're paying for our daughter's college and our son graduates in two years. We also have in-laws we'll likely be helping through this economy. All of that said, time stands still for no man...and it's time to go hunting.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CONGRATS ON YOUR DAUGHTERS WEDDING!!! GO HUNTING AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. IT'S LATER THAN WE ALL THINK.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Sir!

It doesn't matter which hunt, although I would say go hunitng with your son, just go before you're stuck looking after grandchildren all day Wink Big Grin

ATB,

GH

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I am lucky, my son married a widow's daughter so as father of the groom I had to foot the wedding and reception. This was in 1995, but total outlay was under $1,000 and it is what they wanted, For their second aniv. I footed a 5 day Red Stag hunt for my son and I while she toured in northern Scotland. I think is was a winner all around.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
Matt, Congrats on your daughter's wedding. My daughter is getting married in Sept., so my next African adventure will have to be put off a couple of years.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, cograts on surviving the wedding! Big Grin

The 2 hunt options are a tough call. If your son likes to hunt, I think the 2x1 plains game hunt would be the choice. My son and I hunted in RSA last year together and it was a ball! Will this be your 1st safari? If so, I again lean to the plains game hunt. You could probably put together a nice 7-10 day hunt and with both of you hunting come out about the same as a 1 buff/observer hunt. JMHO.

Her's who we hunted with, and their prices are very competitive.

www.cruisersafaris.com/

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Go get'em!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Zim buffalo without a doubt would be my choice.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Matt. I have it coming too - my daughters are 6 and 1 month.

Although DG hunting would be nice, I encourage you to go with your son as a hunter. My dad and I shared our first African safari in 2004. It was a plains game hunt in Namibia and it will certainly stand as one of my best memories - unfortunately long after my dad is gone. But at least I can say we did it!

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Have you thought about combining Cape buffalo with plains game in Zim and taking your son along as a hunter for some of the PG?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your daughters wedding.

Definately spend time hunting with your son. Time I'm out with my dad is the best time hunting I could want, regardless of location.

Rgds
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Mine are all married! Big Grin Congratulations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, go with your son.
Life is short.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote