THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    "How to handle a double rifle" video on youtube
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"How to handle a double rifle" video on youtube
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Googled this up while looking for info. I am not sure how to take this is sullivan serious in this video? I almost burst out laughing a few times. He certainly seemed serious. Any other places to get good info on shooting and handling a double?

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I burst out in laughter when he referred to himself in the third person.

Posts: 179 | Location: USA | Registered: 28 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I must admit surprise when he said you have to use a double for this purpose and then shot at such short range that you could never get off a second shot.May as well use a bolt rifle.

Mark

Posts: 277 | Location: melbourne, australia | Registered: 19 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the youtube link:

https://youtu.be/41AI0sJFwvw

Posts: 179 | Location: USA | Registered: 28 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark smith:
I must admit surprise when he said you have to use a double for this purpose and then shot at such short range that you could never get off a second shot.May as well use a bolt rifle.

Mark

I agree that the clip is a little silly, but that's the way MS acks!

..As far as the shooting so close, that is the reason the double rifle is the weapon of choice for close encounters with dangerous game. Nothing is faster than a double rifle for the first two shots, and shots three and four or still quicker than a bolt rifle for those shots as well for a shooter who is well practiced with a double.

MS looks a little silly with his comments in that clip, but He is certainly fast and accurate with his doubles in a tight spot. I have to give him credit for that, even though My biggest dislike of MS is his habit of shooting his clients animals even when his client should be allowed to finish his/her own game

………………………………………………………….. coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask Cal to make up a short video for you. He handles one extremely well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac you may be right , but it is hard to tell in the videos how close the animal is when MS shoots . My point is if the animal is close enough it will reach you no matter how quick you are or how fast a double rifle is for a second shot .

Mark

Posts: 277 | Location: melbourne, australia | Registered: 19 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but it is hard to tell in the videos how close the animal is when MS shoots

Not as close as they appear in the video Wink

Posts: 2035 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10'?!!! Sevastopol ain't that crazy.

Posts: 201 | Location: Florida, USA | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever you may feel about MS his DR shooting cannot be questioned.

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty corny lines "let the animal choose how to die" etc. I'm sure he is good with a double but the whole clip is fairly comical. Anyone who tells you there is only one right way (their way) to do something I am pretty sceptical

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems apparent from the video that he used a live cameraman. It bothered me that it is not until the 15 minute mark that he opened the breech to show that the rifle was not loaded. He also flagged the cameraman several times. I hope he does not do that around clients.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I really liked his gun safety habit. I am terrified of people who carry cocked guns and forget to engage the safety or open the bolt.

He is a showman & a salesman. Plenty of BS among those kinds of career guys. Never forget that.

No BS with his hunting / shooting. Nerves of ice and balls of titanium!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11208 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Nice video...I enjoyed it..

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mark cracks me up.

Shame but many don't get his character's sense of humor and take him as 100% serious.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever your thoughts on MS, as far as double rifles and shooting ability, he is at the top of the league IMO.
Some of the hippo in his videos are dropped at 10'.

Posts: 47 | Location: Here and there ....... | Registered: 27 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
2PIPE and others.
Don't say good things about MS. If you do, Saeed will come after you with a vengeance. I know from experience.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So it was meant to be tongue in cheek?
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Mark cracks me up.

Shame but many don't get his character's sense of humor and take him as 100% serious.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Wow, all I can say is he obviously gets off listening to himself talk.... old

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WTF ! Seriously this is what is wrong with what this guy sees as hunting !

GOING TO WAR WITH ANIMALS

Seriously ! War ?????????

If you want to go to war join the F*******n army ! Go for it !

But this self aggrandizing and show boating under the pretext of hunting is plain wrong !

There is no place for this type of bravado in hunting !

Yes you can prepare and carry a adequate gun and gird your loins with whatever bullshit you want or need to carry but this notion of provoking animals to charge and then to shoot them down for whatever kicks you get from the experience should be condemned by everyone who holds hunting dear !

I watched this guy in action at SCI and either his action or that SCI actually allowed him a podium to advertise his brand of action was pure hypocrisy !

For a organization who proclaims to be the advocates of HUNTING and the holds the ethic of hunting forth as a reason for their existence allowing him a space made no sense at all ! and he holding the willful shooting down of a charge provoked animal down as hunting equally disgusting ! This is not hunting it is shooting and shooting game for entertainment

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought that was rather odd myself

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
quote:
Mark cracks me up.

Not sure I'd classify it as "tongue in cheek" but Mark's "hunting persona" is definitely his "Schtick".

It riles many up (Saeed, Mac). Others eat it up as gospel. One thing's for sure, it creates controversy and keeps him relevant to the African hunting discussions.

Mark's laughing all the way to the bank, as evidenced by all his DVD sales and the fact he is a continuous major topic on this forum, despite making a total of 1, count it, ONE post!

animal

ALF, you need to get with the times mate. SCI kicked Mark out from participating as an exhibitor years ago. Mainly because of complaints from the exhibitors around him. The crowds around his booth were such that no one could pass down the isles and none of the surrounding booths were getting any traffic.

sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I met him once at an outdoor show in Phoenix as he used to live here I believe. He was a bit arrogant and I was interested in going hunting but he could probably smell that at that time I was not in the proper financial league you might say lol. Still was interesting to talk to I think some of his family was involved in the airlines as well. I get that it's macho white hunter entertainment and he has made money off it. I just want to learn the best and fastest way to reload an extractor double and I don't think he even mentioned it in his video

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah I met him once at an outdoor show in Phoenix as he used to live here I believe. He was a bit arrogant and I was interested in going hunting but he could probably smell that at that time I was not in the proper financial league you might say lol. Still was interesting to talk to I think some of his family was involved in the airlines as well. I get that it's macho white hunter entertainment and he has made money off it. I just want to learn the best and fastest way to reload an extractor double and I don't think he even mentioned it in his video

Getting fast and efficient with an extractor gun is just a matter of practice. I'm sorry I can't recover that video I posted of speed shooting an extractor gun. Photobucket seems to have lost the videos' uploaded and unfortunately, I don't have that footage stored in my current computer's IMovie. I'll see if I can locate it on my external hard drives and upload it to YouTube.

In short, get 4 snap caps.
I like to wear my spare ammo on a belt in front as Mark does.
There are those that will advocate putting spare ammo in the back side of your shooting gloves but I don't hunt that way so I practice the way I hunt, ie. ammo on a belt, positioned in front where I can get to it.
Snap the caps on both barrels, open the action, rotate the rifle away from you while at the same time, tilting the muzzles up. The spent cases (snap caps) will fall right out. Grab two spares and insert into chambers and close.
Just work with it a bit and learn what feels natural to you. It's really not difficult.

For me, I prefer to place my spare ammo in the belt in groups of two with an empty space between each set of two. That way, it's easy to grab them without looking down. I don't grab them between the fingers. I grab them, two at a time, between the thumb and all four other fingers held together (see Elmer Keith's hands in the photo on Mac's post above). I find they typically align well with the chambers in this manner and can just be slipped into the gun.

Fast reloads of a double are fun to practice. In reality, the double is really designed to do something different, that being two very quick shots at close range. If you watch that last ele bull hunt video I posted, I completed the reload quickly, ready to sort out any additional issues if necessary. In reality, that's when the PH called for us to haul ass out of the situation and I ended up turning my back to the second bull charging as we ran, so having the rifle recharged was moot! lol. One of those issues where more experience is necessary to be mentally in full command of the situation.

More experience necessary. Sounds like a good reason to book another ele hunt! Whistling

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
I prefer Mark’s earlier videos when he sported a mullet. Knowing his propensity to BS, I found this video both useful and entertaining. If I had the coin I’d hunt buff with MS in a heartbeat

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Mark cracks me up.

Not sure I'd classify it as "tongue in cheek" but Mark's "hunting persona" is definitely his "Schtick".

It riles many up (Saeed, Mac). Others eat it up as gospel. One thing's for sure, it creates controversy and keeps him relevant to the African hunting discussions.

Mark's laughing all the way to the bank, as evidenced by all his DVD sales and the fact he is a continuous major topic on this forum, despite making a total of 1, count it, ONE post!

animal

ALF, you need to get with the times mate. SCI kicked Mark out from participating as an exhibitor years ago. Mainly because of complaints from the exhibitors around him. The crowds around his booth were such that no one could pass down the isles and none of the surrounding booths were getting any traffic.

sofa

Having spent several days with Mark a few years back hunting quail and hogs, I can assure you that his on air personality is indeed schtick.

A nicer more humble guy, you will never meet....until the camera goes on. The change is instant. I will also add that he is hysterically funny.

He realizes the controversy gets him attention. Look what has happened here.

I promise you that most here would agree with his view of hunting if they spent any time around him. What is seen on camera is pure entertainment.

Posts: 12094 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Mark is one of the nicest guys I have ever met...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Simply amazing. I think there are as many "Never Sullivans" here as there are "Never Trumpers"
M ake
S ullivan
G reat
A again

!!!!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just asking a question. And was trying to learn to shoot a double. Sadly the latter was no help from video LOL but I did learn how to be a macho white hunter and how to let the animal choose how to die while conducting war with it. also I think the answer on how to wear you binos was definitely answered as well.......

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
posted Hide Post
I get it, he is a nice guy and I would really like to sit down and have chat with him ! and he knows how to shoot ??? So everyone tells me...... but here lies the rub !

If you know how to shoot and you are using the biggest and baddest big bores double how in the hell do all of the buffalo shot end up wounded and charging ? The question begs to be answered !

I guess that is warfare in a way.

Seriously and I get it, you pop and buffalo and they run then they die, some make a stand, shit happens ! but every time? I have watched some of his videos. Africa's black death.... charge after charge then the shot, shots some even multiple and from other angles other than him ?

Those in the know please explain this to me !

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
ALF:
How many charges has Mark had for buffalo and hippo? Just your opinion or guess.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
ALF:
How many charges has Mark had for buffalo and hippo? Just your opinion or guess.
Cal

Just a heads up Alf, it ain't what you think! lol

Cal has sorted this out before and if I remember correctly, it's something like 16 charges (combined buff, hippo, and the 1 lion) all over a 25+ year video career. So less than 1 per year. I think it worked out to about 2 per video.

I would say per DVD but a lot of his video's reach way back to the VHS days. Hardly "Everytime" and thus, the hysteria as "everyone knows it's a charge every time!!" . A bit of "Fake News"!

Cool

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Todd and others.
A few years ago whilst recovering from a knee replacement I watched all of Mark's videos. I wrote down everything I saw and tabulated the results. I asked folks (like ALF) about charges. The answer are unbelievable: dozens, 50 or more, to hundreds. The truth is:

In 16 years of videos, there were 8 buffalo charges and 6 charges from hippo. All of the hippo charges were from unwounded hippo.

A combination of hyper sensitivity from the anti MS folks who view the films and Mark's personality and showmanship, cause the actual deeds to be greatly magnified.

Mark gets a lot of shit here on AR and it is 100% by those who have never talked to the man in person. As Larry and others have said, he's meek and unassuming and a very funny guy. I've known him since I did my first book on the .600s and that was 10 or more years ago. Mark is selling product and the product is him. If he walked and talked like every other PH or hunter he would be in the same boat as them--scrounging for clients, hunting with cheap rifles, and just getting by financially.

What Mark has done is to set himself apart from the others and that brings anger and jealously. Saeed has made over 1000 posts against Mark--there really has to be a better way to use one's time. Mark has made one post on AR. If other PHs do what Mark has done they will bed accused of copying him. So they lie and put Mark in a bad light. I've lost count of the hunters, PHs, and authors who have said to me that Mark shoots his buffalo in the balls to get them to charge. When I ask if they have seen this, they reply, Uh, no, but I've heard it."

In August I will hunt with Mark and post on AR. I know now it will be a shit storm of attacks but it will be fun.

The only way I can illustrate Mark's persona on film is to compare it to an actor. In the film Rob Roy, Tim Roth played a real shit. It was his acting and not the way the man is in real life. It is the same with Mark, he's a gentleman but also an actor. And, he is not the only hunter to do something to set himself apart from the rest of the pack. John Sharp is shirtless to show off his former physique, and look how Ivan stands in in front of elephants waving his arms and rifle. All is fine and they get a pass.

In late August all here can relive the Mark Sullivan drama again when I post.
Cheers, gentlemen.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal...if you and Larry say he is a gentleman in private...then I believe you both..

The issue is that he is acting, like you say yourself, to make big dollars...and by the way he is acting he makes african hunting look bad.

How do you think the anties would react to his videos...when a lot of african hunters find his films somewhat repulsive..?

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regardsless of one think of MS.. a man who pursue his dream and live it out I can only have respect for. MS own view on "MS"..can be discussed from here to kingdom come.

For anyone laughing is free to walk the walk MS has done and stand their ground. I´ll bet not many would dare take his stand.

For me MS is a free climber. He seeks the thrill like the freeclimbers who knows a tiny mistake become their last.

BTW: He calls his DR a sidelock. For me it looks a boxlock unless its a pinless sidelock which exist too.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Pondoro:
The antis will hate anything hunting no matter whom it generates from. I'm sure Mark has received negative comments from the antis. Hell, no one knows me and I get dozens of hate emails and death threats from my little website. I'm sure Ivan and others have crossed the antis in their career.
One thing, from my point of view. I'd rather be with a hunter whom I disagree with than with an anti hunter and/or anti gun person.
Cheers, mate.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been harassed by anties myself when pulling out my double in customs in Africa...the world has become completely ridiculous...

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark smith:
Mac you may be right , but it is hard to tell in the videos how close the animal is when MS shoots . My point is if the animal is close enough it will reach you no matter how quick you are or how fast a double rifle is for a second shot .

Mark

WELL..... The second shot hitting the charging animal is 100 % better than the one shot from a bolt rifle, but if injury and/or death will surely come about if you don't stop him with either shot, but I will stick with the second shot insurance from the double every time!

………………………………...Just one mans opinion, not requiring agreement from anyone here!

……………………………………………………………. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW: He calls his DR a sidelock. For me it looks a boxlock unless its a pinless sidelock which exist too.

It IS a Pinless Sidelock Heym Jumbo

and it can be yours (no, I do not own it)

https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=100871787

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just want to learn the best and fastest way to reload an extractor double and I don't think he even mentioned it in his video

usually a roll technique
(rear hand controlling grip, front hand reloading)
or
a shake technique (some call it a flip technique) (front hand controlling grip, rear hand reloading

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote