THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Skin so soft with mosquito repellant

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skin so soft with mosquito repellant
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
I brought with me Deet and the Avon towelettes and pump spray. The deet repelled the Tsetse flies OK, But the Avon stuff kept them off all day and into ride back to camp..
PH Pierre van Tonder said it was the best he has ever used for those damn Tsetse flies...
Other PH tried it but he had an allergic reaction to it, pre try them...
http://shop.avon.com/shop/asse.../PROD_1029470_SM.gif

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I second Mike's endorsement of the Avon product.

I used the Skin So Soft Expedition pump spray in Chewore South two weeks ago and it worked extremely well for both Tsetse and Mopani flies. It was necessary to reapply in mid-day - usually after lunch. Had only a very few bites and most of those were through clothing or late in the day when a second application had not been made.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
i use the mineral water , smells awful but it works so would rather smell like a cheap date and not have any tsetse !!!!

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've used the Avon Skin So Soft for a number of Safaris and it's great!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi gentlemen,
thanks for advice,but I am from Europe and I can´t find the way to buy SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus IR3535® EXPEDITION™ SPF 30. At official webpages of AVON is only possibility for shipping in the USA.Thanks for advice.
Petr Louda

Posts: 40 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 29 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the individually packaged wipes. You can pack one along and reapply without toting the whole bottle or tube with you. They don't work extremely well against black flies though.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
My Uncle and Cousin had similar success in the swamps of western Tanzania. The tetses would just land on their shirt and not bite.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Works on California deer flies too! Wink I have a bottle in the jeep and several around the house.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it works very well. It also protects your skin somewhat against sunburn and drying out.

Posts: 11971 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
The only time my wife didn't use Skin So Soft while trail riding her horse she got stung 30 times by a swarm of yellow jackets. Now we make sure we have a tube of it when we go out - even put it on the horses. Works well in Africa too.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been a long time user of it, and use it on my horses especially. It works, and smells better than most fly sprays.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks, Thanks for the tip. I learned all about Tse-Tse flies in Tanzania, at the same camp Retreever just stayed at. I used 100% DEET, and it wasn't too bad. But a lady in the neighborhood is an Avon rep, so I have an inside connection! Just ordered both the pump and towlettes for Mozambique this October. I don't know if the Zambezi Delta area is as bad or worse than the Selous, but better be safe than sorry.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted Hide Post
I do use Aqua mounth wash for mosquito's when touring the Delta in Botswana and for mopani flies in Kruger National Park area, hopefully it can work for tsetse flies...

Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Patrick Reynecke
Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa
www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
Cell: +27 82 773 4099
Email: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it work for mosquitos?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bushwack
posted Hide Post
Yes, take a bottle of the rack and chuck it in a spray bottle. You can spray it on you or scatter it around you while at the camp fire.

Dream it...Discover it...Experience it...

Patrick Reynecke
Outfitter and Professional Hunter
Bushwack Safaris
Box 1736
Rustenburg

North West Province
South Africa
www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
Cell: +27 82 773 4099
Email: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Posts: 291 | Location: North-West Province, South Africa | Registered: 17 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I was on a cruise in Alaska listening to a seminar about the region. The guy conducting the lecture mentioned how every year these big manly-men lumberjacks go buy skin-so-soft to protect against mosquitoes. It gave me a good laugh, but I guess there might be more merit to his statement than I originally believed.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just one of the many things that work for mosquitos, but the BEST thing for tsetse flies. It really did work quite well last month in Zim. Used the lotion with SPF 30 sunblock to start out with in the morning, and re-applied after lunch. The individual cloths in packets are nice to keep in a shirt pocket when you have sweated it all off, and need to replenish.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skin so soft works well against the dreaded Scottish Midge. I notice that Graham Tiso - the outdoor shop chain (here in the UK) is now stocking it. You can even buy it online! Go to their site a search 'skin so soft'

www.countrysports.co.uk

COUNTRYSPORTS.
Established 1984. Web sites: www.countrysports.co.uk & www.fishinginuk.co.uk SCOTLAND, ENGLAND, POLAND, SOUTH AFRICA

Posts: 95 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Skin so soft yesterday, the opening of bow season in TN. It worked great with one exception, I got inundated with bees. Not in one spot but in 3 different locations. It seems the sweetness works well in attracting bees. I'd still use it, but not where the bees are so active. My Therma Cell keeps the skeeters at bay on stand!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtep:
Hi gentlemen,
thanks for advice,but I am from Europe and I can´t find the way to buy SKIN SO SOFT Bug Guard Plus IR3535® EXPEDITION™ SPF 30.
Petr,

Here's a link to Avon's Czech Republic website:
http://www.avoncosmetics.cz/PRSuite/home_page.page

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does it work on mopane flies? Whenever we stopped, the danged things swarmed your eyes and mouth. They don't bite but they're annoying. Deep Woods Off says on the bottle it works for "up to" 10 hours. With the mopane flies, that means about 10 minutes. Besides, it gets in your eyes. If you stop for a nap, you can light a ball of elephant dung and nap downwind from it, but that doesn't work when you're tracking.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
Works very well for Mopnai fies. They will still swarm around you but will not land and crawl on your skin. My PH asked me to leave him the balance of my bottle wehn I left to use for Mopani flies.

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this the stuff? smoker1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-3-SKIN..._trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
That's it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Oday450. One last question. Will the 3 tubes be enough for a week?

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I used a lttle over half a spray bottle on a 10 day hunt. I sprayed it on my hands and rubbed on face, neck, and arms twice daily. So 3 bottles would be much more than required although they would be nice to leave with the PH, camp manager, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aha, so 1 for me 1 for my Son and one for the PH. Excellent!

--Thomas Jefferson