New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carry on/day pack
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At this point, I've purchased a TuffPak with TuffSak but still require a checked bag and a carry on bag. The carry on bag should double as my day pack while actually out hunting. What o you suggest as a check bag and a carry on/day pack?

BTW, I'm hunting the Gras Ranch March 2010.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

I highly recommend a wheeled duffel. Cabelas, Orvis, Filson, L.L. Bean etc all make good ones. Any backpack that will fit the required max inches for a carry-on should be more than fine.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I carry on a back pack and check a Cabelas rolling duffle. The duffle is probably a bit heavier than ideal. I should mention that the model I got does nto stand up on its end, unlike some others, and the handle does not lock in place.

The back pack was a deal at Cabelas a while back -- German surplus for $15.00 or something.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My checked bag was a medium filson duffle, which can be locked. For a carry on I used a kifaru spike camp back pack inside another filson duffle that fully loaded with electronics, glass etc. It made the carry on rather heavy and on the smaller jet from JoBurg to Bulawayo they did not want me to carry it on but I managed to talk them into it.

I needed the extra filson as the checked duffle was broken into and the hasp broken rendering it non-lockable on the return. I just used the other filson for my checked bag coming back and packed the original duffle in it as it is now back to filson for repair.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just put your daypak in the checked bag - it doesn't take up much room. then take the pilots case for carry on. you can put one hellova lot of stuff in one of them

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to REI and purchased a Kelty Redwing 2650 which was near the maximum size for a carryon. Many others will probably work as well. It stayed in the Landcruiser during my July hunt at Gras.

I used a Filson wheeled duffle for my checked bag. Watch the size limit.

By the way, it was very cold early in the morning in July.

You'll have a great time!

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Bobby, exactly what I was thinking, but I've changed my mind about the carry on being my ruck. I'll place the ruck inside a carryon that is about the max you can take. Tuffpak w/Sak for as much as I can get in there, one other checked and then the carryon. The airlines are making it miserable nowadays, especially if you're going to a cold area and need warm stuff.

You'll have a great time on Gras, I was there last July, great place! Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote