posted
Just quickly put together a bucket list to fulfill my 'current' wishlist:

lion/elephant/leopard/buff $70k
marco polo/ibex 30k
desert & bighorn (to complete grand slam) $65k
Mexico mule deer $10k
plains game (few still left) 10k
New Zealand tahr/chamois/stag 15k

These are very conservative figures and don't include flights, misc clothing, tips, etc. But this is what is on my bucket list of what I have yet to accomplish as a hunter in my lifetime.

Now, do I have any rich old uncles.....

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Good list.

Is the plan to pick up the Big 4 safari on a cancellation? If not, I think you are pretty low. I'd budget $125k to do that hunt in a top area, and not less than $100k under any circumstances.

Otherwise, I think you are pretty much in the ballpark. Provided the Marco Polos are going through the roof b/c the recent reduction in import permits.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the first three on your list are way too low for high percentage hunts( you might get EXTREMELY LUCKY and get 4 of the big 5 for 70k but if you are that lucky, buy a lottery ticket). the last 3 look about right. good luck with all of them!!!

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13180 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
You could hunt New Zealand for less than 15K

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Good list.

Is the plan to pick up the Big 4 safari on a cancellation? If not, I think you are pretty low. I'd budget $125k to do that hunt in a top area, and not less than $100k under any circumstances.

Otherwise, I think you are pretty much in the ballpark. Provided the Marco Polos are going through the roof b/c the recent reduction in import permits.

Tanzania I'd budget 130-150K. Zimbabwe 70-100k if they're all trophy, but that's a guess.

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
To get elephant and both cats on one safari can only very lucky man.More realistically to think about only cats safari or elephant+leopard,if you will come in right time(July,August for Tanzania),and good place.

Posts: 146 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: 03 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
Looks like a government budget request from here -- count on some serious overruns.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think with some luck you can fill your bucket. I did that top hunt for 70K including about 8500 in tips. I was very happy with my ele, lion, and leopard. The buffalo weren't great, but I have shot buffalo before and just hunting them was fun. But to do all of that in 21 days is a lot of shooting and a lot of luck.

Desert bighorn are falling quite a bit; the days of getting 50K are over from what I heard.

I also heard from a good source that you can get a Marco Polo for less than 30K; I will probably attempt one in the next fews years, but for all the hassle, I will probably book someone I can check out thoroughly.

I did tahr and chamois for 800 bucks plus 5K in trophy fees? Can't remember. Free ranging animals. Flew on my customer's dime (had business in NZ).

If you have the cash and go at a moment's notice, discounted hunts can be a great deal. One issue you may want to think about: lots of guys with regular jobs can't get a month off at a time - which is what you need for a 21 day hunt. I know Notlim got his hunt because the guy who got it first couldn't get the time off.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G D F
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also heard from a good source that you can get a Marco Polo for less than 30K;

I know several guys who took Marco Polo for 10k(including trofy),1 going to get same offer next February.
Both cats, buffalo(no great ,for bait)hippo,eland ,crok and some plainsgame i took in Tanzania last year for 85k(including 6k tips). I think this is no expensive.

Posts: 146 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: 03 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did that top hunt for 70K including about 8500 in tips. I was very happy with my ele, lion, and leopard.

Was that not a Samaras cancellation where just the day rate would have been right at $70k?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
quote:
I did that top hunt for 70K including about 8500 in tips. I was very happy with my ele, lion, and leopard.

Was that not a Samaras cancellation where just the day rate would have been right at $70k?

I think the day rate would have been 58K, but not sure - I got it for 29K, including charter, gun permits, dip/pack, etc. The only thing I paid for was TFs, tips, and beer.

I am booked with Samaras in Dec 2011, but after that hunt, I think I will try snagged discount hunts. No matter what the economy is like, there always seems to be some deal. Just look at the ele deals flying around lately. Last year it was lions in Zambia. Once you have your "bucket" filled, why not take the deals that come along?

My only trip on the docket for 2010 is a backpack trip in the Himalayas with Ms AZWriter. I was supposed to go on a leopard hunt in Namibia, but we all know the story there. So I think I will wait and see what happens.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote