Find
Notify
Tools

Money transfer from US
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used transferwise ?

Anyone have suggestion for transfers of between $750-$3000. My bank wire charges for international transfers really make these size transfers very expensive to transact.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very strange!

Our banks charge about $20 for any wire transfer, regardless of amount!!!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68598 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Here is a previous discussion with some experiences. A little dated perhaps.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1411043/m/2191074412

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
If you have a brokerage account check with your financial advisor to see if they can do a transfer for you. I have an account with Ameriprise and they do international transfers for me at no cost.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike,

The last time i made a wire transfer, (2015) my banker took me aside and told me that he was required to notify the state department of my transfer.

Plus, i was not allowed to use my credit card or transfer money to zimbabwe for my shipping . So i worked through a South Africa shipper and paid with credit card.

I Just called my credit card issuer and let them know the dollar amount and who would be requesting it (name as would apperar on cc billing). They opened up a window only to the shipper of 6 hours for them to make the charges.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1626 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
Cost $20.00 at my bank. Better yet, if your using a U.S. booking agent, send him a check and have him wire it.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My bank charges me $35 for wires and the rate is good but be careful since some will take 10% or more. As said easiest is to use a hunting agent like Atcheson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Transferwise many many times. MUCH better than most banks. Make sure when you compare ways to transfer that you also look at the exchange rate you are getting, not only the fees. Banks are adding in their margin on the rates ON TOP of the fees. Transferwise charges very low fees and you get the mid-market rate (or very close to it).

Another great thing about it. You can do it all yourself online! No need to spend the time going into a branch.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I have an account with Monex.

I get market rates and no fee. Even my transfers to South Africa are paid next day value.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobby7321:
I've used Transferwise many many times. MUCH better than most banks. Make sure when you compare ways to transfer that you also look at the exchange rate you are getting, not only the fees. Banks are adding in their margin on the rates ON TOP of the fees. Transferwise charges very low fees and you get the mid-market rate (or very close to it).

Another great thing about it. You can do it all yourself online! No need to spend the time going into a branch.

x2 I have used transferwise several times for transfer to both Europe and Africa. Very easy, safe, reliable, etc etc etc.

And noticeably cheaper than using my bank (USAA).

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My bank doesn't charge me anything to do a wire transfer......they exchange rate used is what is published on the day of the exchange........

Posts: 42337 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CharlesL
posted Hide Post
I have used Transferwise a few times. The fees depends upon amount being transferred and the exchange rate is the current bank exchange rate. Some banks have low fees, but get you on the exchange rate.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 633 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 26 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BearCountry953
posted Hide Post
I send money to my taxidermist last time it was $20,000 and it cost me 20.00

Posts: 97 | Location: USA Massachusetts | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote