New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .416 Weatherby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Unless you handload the 416 WBY graduates you fully into the MASSIVE recoil department. You will burn all the powder that the 378 burns and then launch a bullet 33% heavier at 2700 fps. This is 84 FPE free recoil in a 10 lb rifle.

The most effective use would be to reduce loads to match the 416 Rigby or 416 Rem when shooting DG with 400 gr bullets, and then use full bore loads with a 350 gr spitzer for long shots only.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I had one of these for a few years and found the standard factory loads to be too fast for what I personally needed it for. Once downloaded to Rigby ballistics it performed much better. As ALF says the factory load is too fast and shoots through too much....I found that most bullets didn't set up correctly at Weatherby velocities. Other than this problem, I rate all the .416s as great client/hunting rifles.

Eventually I had the (left handed) Weatherby action remade into a .500 Jeffrey by Sabi Rifles in Nelspruit RSA. Now its everything I could ever wish for and more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of each, Rem, Rigby and Wby. I find myself using the Rem the most, the Wby second and I hardly ever use the Rigby. The Rigby has the nostalgia for certain but the Wby beats it in the speed department and the Rem in the capacity department.

If you want only one to cover the globe the Rigby is probably the best choice but if you are only interested in big bears the Rem is the way to go. 2400fps with 370gr or 400gr bullets is tough to beat.

I like the Wby for elk; it adds 100 yds to the Rem but for anything dangerous keep the velocity below 2500 for best results. IMHO

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If more power is wanted than the .416 Rigby or Remington can provide, I don't think the answer is 300 fps more velocity in the Weatherby. As others have said, that's just "shoot through" velocity (and energy) anyway.

It would be far better to just move up in caliber to a .458 Lott or the like.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Saeed/prof242: You should read his book. He really goes on and on about the cartridge, citing many, many instances where he's seen the difference. Hey guys *HE* said it, not me! jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I always thought he was full of it, now I KNOW he is!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote