THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Second shot on trophy or not: Your Opinion
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Second shot on trophy or not: Your Opinion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In your opinion should you take a second shot on a trophy considered non-dangerous game that you hit with the first shot risking damage to antlers/horns or let the trackers work finding the animal without taking a second "running" shot?

Thank you.

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My rule is I keep shooting as long as I can see the animal and have a safe shot. I have seen many an animal which appeared to be mortally wounded, go for hours, sometimes never to be found. Besides, why allow an animal to suffer unecessisarily?

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he is running then keep shooting. Aim carefully, of course.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I second above. In Africa where I will be subject to trophy fees on a lost animal you bet I will take a second shot if it is offered, meaning an open running shot or animal standing still. I have been very lucky and have never lost an animal shot with a rifle. This is a streak I would like to keep alive.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medium
posted Hide Post
I third the above. A quick and clean kill is my primary objective as long as I have a safe and reasonable shot. I'm don't have enough money to waste trophy fees for fear of damaging an antler/horn. If you are taking good shots the risk of damaging something should be minimized.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 136 | Location: Seward, Alaska | Registered: 11 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he's moving keep shooting-PG In the case of Dangerous game -give him one more after you are sure he's dead!!!

Bob Clark

Posts: 330 | Location: Vanderhoof'British Columbia | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
What kind of question is this?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19339 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as the critter is moving shoot it again and again.

As some one else posts here says

The most famous last words of a trophy fee gone bad is " Don't shoot again you hit him hard the first time."

Posts: 19457 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This isn't sheep hunting where you risk breaking horns with a bad fall. Put them on the ground as necessary.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The absolute worst habit of client hunters is not fireing a follow-up shots, as soon as he can, and keep shooting till the animal is down, or out of sight! Roll Eyes

With dangerous game after he's skinned, just shoot him one more time, to be sure! BOOM

jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot! I once shot at a moose, a really easy shot, I thought, and hit it squarly in the chest, of that I was sure. I shot one at the departing animal just the same, bringing it down. Turns out the first shot just missed the chest and demolished the off-leg just below the brisket. Keep shooting until he is down. Taxidermists can fix holes.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I am at my deer lease, ansd I am shooting a doe or a pig for meat, ands I KNOW my first shot is in the right place, I MIGHT not shoot again as the animal runs.

Anywhere else I most always shoot if the animal is still moving. This includes if the animal goes right down and is still moving around.

As an example when I shot my lion with the 450/400 double he was laying down facing us. At the shot he just rolled over on his left side.
I immediately shot the second barrel.

I then reloaded, ran up to him and shot him down through the spine.

Bullets are cheap, holes in the hide can be patched.
A lost animal is LOST.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of question is this?

jumping

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trophy fees are expensive, bullets are cheap...

Not a lot of math needed to figure out my feelings.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
Use enough gun and keep the lead flying until it drops.

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot until it isnt moving! Then shoot again!

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunter Formerly Known As Texas Hunter>
posted
Why let an excuse to shoot at an animal slip away?? Shoot,Shoot,Shoot,Shoot--reload--Shoot,Shoot Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't hold back fellas, tell me what you really think....

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The answer to this question, as with most, is . . . it depends.

The general rule is shoot until down. But that, carried to extremes, results in wasted ammo and pre-butchered game.

So, each shot is a judgment call. The key is just using good judgment on all shots. Big Grin

Judgment, after all, is what separates good men from their lessers, and lesser men from monkeys.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13507 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using "good judgement" sums it it well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep shooting unless the PH steps in front of you and says he is dead and it gets up and runs oft, then you shoot the PH. Big Grin

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lost my very first impala because my first shot was "good" and "another shot wasn't necessary!" After tracking off and on for DAYS he finally just disapeared.

Never made THAT mistake again!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My, how the answers are different than the last time a similar question was asked. I was called about everything for saying to keep shooting and not worry about the steaks. My position still remains the same. So I am unethical again, I guess!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is our responsibility to end a hunted nimals life in the quickest and most effecient manner possible.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Remember the famous last words,

"DON'T SHOOT AGAIN, YOU HIT HIM GOOD THE FIRST TIME!"

All kidding aside, respect for the animal, kill him! Make a great shot count the first time, but if he's still on the move hit him again!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
You can't keep the horns if he's not dead. He's got to be dead or immobilized to catch him.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this a Joke!?!

What kind of "hunter" would need to ask that question?

Please read my signature line....

one of us
posted Hide Post
AS far as worrying about the meat or trophy damage all I can say is shot placement is probably even more important on follow up shots. This holds true for everything weather an impala running away from you or a cape buff running to you! Less room for error.

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of axle
posted Hide Post
I figure I might as well add my two cents. I agree with the crowd, personaly I shoot until it stops moving. If you're worried about ruining
I'd rather lose a few steaks than wonder what the one that got away would have tasted like.also a well hit animal can still take time to die and can cover a lot of ground, possibly ending up somewhere that makes recovery of the animal even more difficult or dangerous. Just my opinion feel free to disagree. Smiler

ax

meat is murder..... tasty,tasty murder

Posts: 79 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 02 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a no brainer.

Shoot until you are positive the critter is dead or you have no more shot opportunities.

I have witnessed the non-follow up shot screw up in North American too many times to know exactly what should be done in Africa.

Meat is a non issue in Africa as far as I am concerned. You don't get to bring any home.

Add to the fact that you already paid for it. Common sense dictates that you would shoot again.

A friend of mine lost a 350 class bull elk this past fall because the elk went right down and he didn't put in a follow up shot. He sure was kicking himself for not taking that second insurance shot.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Keep shooting unless the PH steps in front of you and says he is dead and it gets up and runs oft, then you shoot the PH. Big Grin

Classic!!! A man after my own heart Big Grin

What if the animal is DOWN, but is still thrashing about? And no really clear shot?

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
when I shot my bear in Alaska The first shot from my double rifle flipped it over. I then shot the other barrel. The guide said why did you shoot twice? I said why have a double rifle if you only are going to shoot once jumping

shoot until the animal is down and be ready with another in case it gets up.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MarkH
posted Hide Post
THe rules are simple.
1. Your responsibility is to make sure you kill the animal as quickly,cleanly and safely as possible. After you have committed the first shot trophy becomes unimportant
2. If its still standing after the first shot shoot again.
3. Never ever take you eyes off the animal. I got caught out on a boar that fell to the first shot and lay still for 5 minutes before it suddenly go up as I was getting out of the hide making the second shot impossible.
4. If an animal drops immediatly be very cautious and do a follow up shot as soon as possible.

Regards

Mark

Hunting is getting as close as you can, shooting is getting as far away as possible.

Posts: 537 | Location: Worcestershire, England | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was intended as a serious and important question. How the responses regarding "meat" damage and "steaks" damage came into this I'm not sure. However, shooting off horns and faces due to an aminal thrashing around is important to me.

After reading all the posts, the answer to me is place the first shot well and use good judgement on the follow-up shots as/if necessary.

Killing an animal cleaning and humanly is of course of primary concern, however pouring lead into the animal may not acheive this. I know of a safari that put fifteen shots into an eland bull and covered two miles of shooting and I know of a sable having a horn shot off in an effort to put a second shot into him and he was dead with the first shot placement. I wasn't sure if additional shots added adrenalin making it tougher to bring the animal to bag or not. Also, I thought maybe with professional trackers that was one more point not to take a second shot.

Good point to discuss with the PH prior to the safari.

Thank you for your input.

Buliwyf

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 1st shot is obviuosly the most important as you have stated. However, I too have got caught on this one. I shot a wildebeest that dropped like a rock and lay there for a good 5 to 10 minutes. We went to get in the Baakie and as I climbed aboard I watched this sucker dissapear into the sunset. We never did find him and no blood trail to follow. The 1st shot was good and you could hear the bullet hit as well as see the dust fly. Point is dont ever take it for granted, especially on tough critters like these.

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Tracker in Africa are phenominal but so are the predators. Loose your animal for a night & you'll loose the cape & horns anyway. I have never made a shot & worried about the condition of the "trophy". A good taxi can fix anything.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tonto:
when I shot my bear in Alaska The first shot from my double rifle flipped it over. I then shot the other barrel. The guide said why did you shoot twice? I said why have a double rifle if you only are going to shoot once jumping

shoot until the animal is down and be ready with another in case it gets up.
Dean

thumb thumb

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I first read Tonto's post I thought the answer was going to be "because I have a double not a drilling"....

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as overkill..It is dead when it is DRT...dead right there...

Another AR member says " While there is lead in the air there is hope..."

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted Hide Post
The best hunting advice I ever received is:

"Reload!"

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote