THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Second shot on trophy or not: Your Opinion
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Second shot on trophy or not: Your Opinion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let 'em run and pay the trophy fee Smiler

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I learned the hard way, taking bad advice. I will shoot until the animal is dead, regardless.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When an animal "pole axes" to ground at the shot I am always very leery.

Those are the one that tend to get up and take off after a few minutes leaving no blood trail. Also known as a high spine or horn shot.

If you are too worried about damaging a trophy to shoot again on a running animal you shouldn't be hunting.

A taxidermist can fix a horn. He can't track your marginally hit critter for you though.

If he's up hit him again. PERIOD!

If he's down reload (that should be an automatic reflex) and watch him for a minute.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
There is absolutely no question as to keep shooting if the animal is not down. Taxidermists are capable of amazing feats, and not all bullets go where we think thay have been assigned. It is only a man's ego which prevents him from doing the correct ethical thing at times. Don't be counted in that number.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most Americans are caught up in the one shot one kill thing. I believe it is a culturally learned trait. The poster stated he didnt know how meat came into this but psychologically it definitely does. Most of us started out as meat hunters at an early age and were taught to not waste meat or ammo. That is fine when hunting whitetails or small game but the equation changes somewhat when you progress to Africa. The game is larger, tougher, and has adrenal glands several times the size of what we are used to. It is hard to unlearn old habits, so we look to see the results instead of continuing to fire. Then of course there is also just the matter of ego getting in the way as well. Absolutely the worst reason in my view. As everyone has pretty much agreed keep shooting until you are 100% sure.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote