Notify
Tools

Westley Richards
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alf:
The triangle is the Westley Richards trade mark, sometimes the year of manufacture was stamped in the triangle; it appears on all of their rifles.

------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mark. I will start the search for the book.
Yes I am well for now. I will find out how well on Tuesday when my cardiologist and endocronologist (sp) have a go at me. I only need to make it one more year and back to Africa!
After that who knows.
I hope you are also well and hopefully I can make the Hoot and Shoot.
I could sure use some hootin and a shootin.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Thanks. I am originally from England and will be over there next month. I have sent Patrick an email, just trying to figure out how to handle this, with the first item being to get more info. on the gun, and then, the logistics of bidding on it from over here. I appreciate all the info you found for me. Seems to me that the 318 is similar to the 9.3x74R (or 9.3x62). Does this make sense?
Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thought you might like to know that the rifle went for just(?)960 GBP.
http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin...826&iSaleSectionNo=1

I think that's a steal for such a fine rifle.Did you manage to get it,if you don't mind me asking?

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 785 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info ROL! No, I did not buy it. I did speak to the "agent" or whatever the term is. He did not answer my emails and kept insisting that I call him even though I had told him I was in the USA. When I spoke to him he told me that the condition of the barrel was pretty bad and that they were thinking of describing it as a stock and action as it would definitely need a rebarrel. I assume we were talking about the same thing. In any case I did not bid, although I did register for future auctions. The gun did look good in the picture, but I guess looks can be deceiving. BTW "inclusive of buyers premium" means deduct 20% for the actual price of the rifle. That also turned me off, paying an extra 20% for the privilege of buying the rifle! Then I would have had to pay VAT, although I suspect that I could have got that back. GunBroker generally has better (and more) pictures and a better description of the item ie. point out the "shortcomings".
Thanks for thinking of me, though!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craig boddington:
To Peter: It was a Westley Richards cartridge for sure, but they must have "opened it to the trade" (as Holland did with the .375 H&H), rather than holding a strict proprietorship; you see other makes so chambered (as in this thread). This is conjecture, probably W-R could give a proper answer--or someone here more knowledgable than I am!

Craig,
The 1962 Parker Hale of Birmingham England catalogue shews two interesting rifles.
A Cogswell and Harrison, which was offered inter alia the 318WR and a FN Mauser which could be had in calibres from 6.5x57 to .425WR.
It seems reasonable to assume that these once proprietary chamberings/cartridges were released to the trade.
Kynoch ammunition is also listed, there were five different 318 WR cartridges in 250 grain weight bullets and two 180 grain bullets.
The 425 WR is not listed.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunsmithing
posted Hide Post
first I would like to thank Craig for joining the conversation. Yea I am still working on Bells biography. Boy did he accomplish a lot in his lifetime.
This is a wonderful discussion about the 318. The best I have seen. Mine is doing well, safe in storage. Been making .330 bullets in 180 grain from Noslers in an homemade bullet sizer. Works well. I have been making brass from 30-06,and have no problems. This is probably the finest cartridge for medium game made,at least in my humble opinion. I am going to have a barrel made in .330 and find a chambering reamer for the 318. Then I can make a bolt rifle in this fantastic caliber. Maybe make a few for some lucky customers.

any one who does not want to work for a living can run for public office

One of Us
Picture of gunsmithing
posted Hide Post
In 1910 Bell recive a copy of Westley Richard Catalog,while in Africa.He was planning a visit to England in 1911,for personal problems in the family. He tried to order a rifle from W.R. and was told of a long waiting period, that he did not have. Frasier was out of business, so he went to Thomas Bland in London,to build his gun. W.R told me that the cartridge was not open to the general trade, and the reamer must have been made by some one else,on the sly. This is why you do not see too many 318s that are not W.R.s.made at that time period.
Mine has a letter of provinance from Thomas Bland, and was examined by the current owner as to its authentication. So far I have not been able to do better than that.
All the guns that were made, as far as I know, in 318 were proofed for the 250 grain bullet, and about 30 grains of powder ( I really do not want to get the gun out and check for the exact amount on the barrels.)
It is for sale, after the book comes out. I am working on the outline now. I think I have accumulated enough info to make the book worthwile.