New
Find
Notify
Tools

Article by Don Heath
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
For somebody with as much experience as Will has he is about the most insecure little hen pecker around. He is in constant attack mode.

I don't get him or his attitude or his pathological need to be constantly reassured about his experience level.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why you guys are always picking on me.

I was thinking I'd pull an AD, but then it would leave you guys wanting. So I'm staying. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19320 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am stil thinking about buying your book, Will. If you post something smart I might buy it!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Keep piling on.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,is it a hardcover with glossy pictures?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The picture of Bill with "Kristen" is worth the price of the book alone. That picture should put to rest the speculation as to who Client 7 was.

Mike

Posts: 21242 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
diggin
Will may be old and crotchety; he may even be a little bit narcissistic at times, but not really any more than 1,000 other people on here any given day. He does have a wealth of valuable experience regarding African hunting (for a civilian – nothing personal Will), especially elephants, chances are more than I will ever have unfortunately.
We as forum members beat the dead horse on a daily basis regarding topics that have been previously covered ad nauseam (I am guilty of rehashing these topics and/or contributing to them as well)…So it is no wonder that an old hand like Mr. Stewart gets a little frayed at times and spews forth insularly commentary.
Now here is another off topic, off topic comment…
I mean honestly how many times can one man answer questions about what kind of shoes another man should wear on a safari or is this the right style of pants for South Africa, before he gets a little to candid (or maybe off-handed) with his responses?
Plus this is the internet mind you. So some people are little braver than they would be face-to-face. There is always someone willing to tell you how they will “run you through a little close order drill to straighten out your thinking†or something else equally absurd. Best to just take it with a grain of salt, use the ignore feature and move on.
Nobody can really tell you how to approach gearing up for your African hunt anyway. What works for me may totally fail you and vice versa. For instance my brother swears by Russell boots. So I plunked down the $250 or whatever at Dallas, got measured and three times longer than promised, my boots arrived and I could barely even get my foot in them, much less consider walking 20 miles in them hot on the trail after after an ele. Russell products work wonderfully for him, not so much for me. I like Courteney boots, but for him, they just don’t fit right. He likes Winchesters…I like old Mausers…What difference does it make? None.
I had to find what works for me just like everyone else here will have to do. Yes guidance is a good thing, but nothing here is the true gospel (well unless Ganyana, Don Heath, 500Nitro or Andrew McClarren posts it – just my humble opinion).
thumb
I know everyone wants to be as prepared as possible for “the hunt of a lifetime†but really, you gotta find and come into your own for it to be best suited to what you need.
Now back to the first off topic – Will’s attitude…
stir
I wish he were a little more giving with his experiences, we may all find we could learn something, but it is his choice to be the cantankerous old fart that he is and we can either accept it and move on or block him and move on. But at least he can be counted on for one thing…If you want to pick a fight, he is your guy…(I speak from first hand experience here). knife
So at least he is good for something.
I am not attacking anyone here or agreeing or disagreeing with anyone…Just stating my poorly-conceived, ill-thought out, generally uninteresting opinion. I now yield the soapbox.
beer
Best of luck to all of you in the hunting fields...
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Heath must have a much larger hand than I do. My only rifle with a left side safety is a really nice Long Branch No. 4 Enfield, and I can't operate the safety without completely moving my hand off the grip. I am not sure just which safety Mr. Heath approves of; none that I know about are perfect in design and function. Most problems with safeties I've observed were due to lack of practice with that rifle.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger thumb safety on the old MK 1 was as close to perfect as you can get.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed on the Mk 1. It was excellent and really the only rifle safety I have ever liked 100%. I wish I still had my Mk 1 .458 win mag.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the controversy. I am a bit bored waiting for the winter to end and fishing to start. Will's fights are fun to "watch". I read his book and as far as I can tell, it is pretty good and well done. He writes like an engineer and I can relate to that. At least you know where he stands on issues.

Now for the big question, who is his favorite for the Democratic nomination????

Posts: 182 | Location: Up the holler in WV | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I don't understand why you guys are always picking on me.

Smiler

Because you are an arrogant prick.

Any more questions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen- Will and I are old friends/sparing partners. He has the advantage of being literate whilst I R only a PH and sometime Edytur who publishes his stuff. Wink

Like Will - I try not to be dogmatic - except when leaping to conclusions. Big Grin Constructive criticism is always read and digested. One can always learn something, even if it is only by reading between the lines.

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Heath:

Like Will - I try not to be dogmatic - except when leaping to conclusions. Big Grin

jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
Regarding synthetic stocks, we find the Hogue overmolded stock to be a great improvement on the others. That rubber overmolding quietens them down, it's not reflective, and it is very grippy.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Don Heath:
- we are sing more of the new model CZ’s with safety catches that work “the right way†- ie forward to fire. This has got one PH killed and two others badly injured that I know personally.

I want to be the first to say that you do have your opinion but this I find very difficult to believe. In what asylum do you find these appies?

The new CZ safety catch is positioned and shaped just right so that when you work the bolt in a frantic hurry your baby finger catches it and puts the safety on!

I have sung that song on at least three forums at least once and gets close to zero attention. I have posted pics on how to change the safety, with the typical response "I never had a problem." I even told CZ my story and got the big brush-off. Needless to say, I fix all of mine.

This not part of any pile-on, but I actually did change one safety using your modification. It was no big deal since I had an extra one and it's easy to change back. Well, I didn't like it, the feel was spongey and it could easily be brushed on and off.Besides, I never had any trouble at all with the factory safety. First off my little finger isn't anywhere near the safety, I lift the handle with thumb and forefinger, pull the bolt back with the smaller fingers of my hand and shoot it forward with my thumb. I've switched another to the M70 style safety and much prefer that.Theoretically I don't need the middle position, but what's it hurt? I don't know what is clumsy about it.
I'll still buy your book though, just got to get to the mailbox. Big Grin There aren't any in the bush where I'm sitting.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Dogleg,

There is no mandate for anyone to change their safety but I was poo-pooing the report I read about accidentally putting on the safety when cycling the bolt, until I did the very same thing. That convinced me.

The modifications that I have done have not resulted in any mushy feelings when operating the safety. Maybe I have been lucky.

In my new non-dogmatic, non-arrogant mode I must add the disclaimer ... to each their own. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Russ

Was looking at a vh2q auction on Gunbroker for a Bad Boy Dangerous Game Rifle (EZ Kit) link and found this in the description:

"Visit Big Five Headquarters to view these and other fine safari rifles and accessories...or to book your next hunt!"

So, I clicked the link which took me to the Big Five Headquarters website and found this in the FAQs:

"15. Does Big Five offer any hunting trips?

No. Big Five Tours & Expeditions has a corporate philosophy that focuses on eco-tourism and conservation. Our programs feature excellent opportunities for travelers and photographers."

What's up with that???

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will,
So you're going with the non-dogmatic, non-arrogant approach now? But that sounds so boring. I can't see you in the "every gun is the best gun if you have confidence in it" and "Whatever your PH says must be 110% correct even if they can't agree on anything" mindset. An opinion not worth defending is an opinion not worth having.
Wink

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dogleg:
Will,
So you're going with the non-dogmatic, non-arrogant approach now? But that sounds so boring. I can't see you in the "every gun is the best gun if you have confidence in it" and "Whatever your PH says must be 110% correct even if they can't agree on anything" mindset. An opinion not worth defending is an opinion not worth having.
Wink

I do not expect it to last long. Smiler

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike: Will ...is about the most insecure little hen pecker around.
Dang surestrike, that is funnier then when you called Will "an arrogant dick head". Big Grin

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Hey, Will, don't you know how to tell someone he's a dumbass without offending him?

Just say: "I respectfully disagree." Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
Hey, Will, don't you know how to tell someone he's a dumbass without offending him?

Just say: "I respectfully disagree." Big Grin

Mrlexma!

I respectively disagree with that statement.

465H&H dancing

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Ah, my friend 465H&H, worthy gentleman from the great state of Idaho, much as it pains me, I regret that, since I cannot compromise my principles, I must respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement. Big Grin

See how well it works, Will? thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13399 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

There is no mandate for anyone to change their safety but I was poo-pooing the report I read about accidentally putting on the safety when cycling the bolt, until I did the very same thing. That convinced me.

Life is a long, hard trip if you are not able to learn from the experiences/mistakes of others.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Life is a long, hard trip if you are not able to learn from the experiences/mistakes of others.

Sure, there's the lesson, but what conclusion should be arrived at?
Is the answer as Will contends that the safety should be remodeled so it automatically takes itself off if accidentally engaged while working the bolt?
Is the answer to design the safety so it simply, and indisputably mechanically impossible to accidentally engage while working the bolt in the first place? Ahh, now we're making progress. Trouble is, such a safety has been around since forever, and it's called the Model 70 safety. You can't engage it without the bolt being both cocked and in battery. You can't do it if you try, you can't do it if you take all day, and you can't do it with Don Heath's 3 pound hammer. That's the lesson I learned, with or without other people. How about you? Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
And if rifles had the safety on the tang, or as Don Heath says, on the left side, or, we keep our little pinkie tucked in . . .

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Like I said, it's everyone's option to worry or not about the CZ safety.

The safety on the CZ can be put to the "ON" position when the bolt is open. I'm not particularly fond of that feature. Under shooting at the range or other non-consequential conditions, it really doesn't matter, except it might show up a flinch when the rifle doesn't go off when the trigger is pulled!

Wherever the safety is located, I much prefer the simple two-position safety as it is faster than a 3-position safety.

I was hunting in Zim with a PH that had the 3-position safety and as we approached some elephant I noticed that he had his safety in the middle position. Hmmm, I thought, as this showed me that my thoughts about the 3-position safety being slow (and awkward) was justified. Of course, the old M98 flag flip over safety is slower yet, and John Taylor, 60 years or so ago, recommended keeping the safety on the Mauser rifles in the up position.

The other potential problems with the 3-position safety in the middle position is that the bolt handle can be easily and accidentally raised when busting through brush, and if the trigger is just touched or hits brush or whatever as the safety is flipped to the "OFF" position, it will release the firing pin, and of course fires the rifle. This was quite unexpected one time and swore me off the 3-position safety forever and forever.

This is all FWIW. Pick your own poison.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a technical reason why the Ruger style tang safety has never been adopted for dangerous game rifles? I am a lefty that learned to shoot right handed. The tang safety is my preference but I have deferred to the M70 three position safety due to "consensus" of more experience people.

Posts: 10207 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about you? Big Grin

Options which I prefer:

1. Model 70 2 position safety. My gunsmith installs them on Mausers for $165.

2. M98 flag (military) safety. These are great for an iron-sighted Mauser and are free.

3. Double rifle.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no doubt that sear blocking safety is safer than a trigger blocking safety when it is in the full on position.

The M-70 should NEVER be carried in the middle position for several reasons.

One that I mentioned earlier in this post. With the safety in the middle position the bolt handle can be slightly raised which will prevent you from disengaging the safety. I had this happen to me on a buffalo hunt in Tanzania a few years ago. Lesson learned and fortunately no one was hurt. I 'm glad it happened when it did and not at a bad moment.

I have just learned something new from our resident hen pecking, bull headed friend Will. I had no idea that if the trigger was hit with the safety in the middle position with the bolt raised that it would fire! I am going to have to try that right now.

The problem with a trigger block safety is that if the gun is hit hard enough the firing pin can strike the primer causing an AD with the safety on. And of course there is the well documented cases of M-700s firing when the safety is released.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
I had no idea that if the trigger was hit with the safety in the middle position with the bolt raised that it would fire! I am going to have to try that right now.

Sorry, but that is not what I meant. If one is touching the trigger when the safety is in the middle position, and the safety is moved to the forward "OFF" position it will release the firing pin, sort of like a hair trigger.

You can do the same thing with a 2-position safety too, like on the CZ, but it takes a lot more pressure on the trigger.

Again, FWIW.

One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
The middle position of a 3 is great while at the range.

Not so great when all you need is ON/OFF.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
quote:
How about you? Big Grin

Options which I prefer:

1. Model 70 2 position safety. My gunsmith installs them on Mausers for $165.

2. M98 flag (military) safety. These are great for an iron-sighted Mauser and are free.

3. Double rifle.

Can't say I disagree.

I would be just as happy with a 2 position M70 safety as a 3, providing that it locks the bolt down when applied. I have a Kimber that doesn't, and I don't care for that.

The Model 70 safety took every thought out feature of the Mauser safety and made it suitable for scope use. Not suprisingly it works, Mechanically the Mauser has probably never been bettered.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I had no idea that if the trigger was hit with the safety in the middle position with the bolt raised that it would fire! I am going to have to try that right now.

Sorry, but that is not what I meant. If one is touching the trigger when the safety is in the middle position, and the safety is moved to the forward "OFF" position it will release the firing pin, sort of like a hair trigger.

You can do the same thing with a 2-position safety too, like on the CZ, but it takes a lot more pressure on the trigger.

Again, FWIW.

Ahh, OK thanks for clearing that up. That makes perfect sense to me now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Again, FWIW.

Ahh, OK thanks for clearing that up. That makes perfect sense to me now.

That doesn't happen with the pre-64 Mod 70's and can be corrected by a competent gunsmith on the new ones. Also if the bolt comes up while the safety is in the middle position it will still fire when the trigger is pulled. I have 5 pre-64's and all work as I stated above.

465H&H

one of us
posted Hide Post
PM to 465H&H.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, Maybe a dumb question,

Can a Recknagle three position safety for a Mauser be modified to be a two position safety?

As in safety on bolt locked, safety off ready to fire? Eliminate the center position.

That would prevent the safety inadvertently being carried in the middle position.

I seem to have missed this part of the conversation, but what is the problem or the disliked aspect some have of the Winchester 3 position style safeties?
The middle position,wing on wrong side,or?

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen, I carry my Win Mod 70's with the safety in the rear position when it is slung on my shoulder, I give it to a tracker to carry or I traverse areas where I don't expect to see game. When I am in the thick stuff after DG or stalking in cover I carry it in the middle position where it is easy to get off quickly. On a Mauser I carry it in the upright position if I think I may need to use it quickly. Check your new Mod 70 to see if it will do any of the bad things listed above while it is empty and if it does take it to a good gunsmith for correction. Most of the warnings above are chasing ghosts.

465H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would be just as happy with a 2 position M70 safety as a 3, providing that it locks the bolt down when applied.

Absolutely. Other than Islamic fundamentalism, few things enrage me more than a safety that does not lock the bolt down. I had a Rem 700 whose safety did not lock the bolt down and I was very unhappy with that because in brush it seemed the bolt was always getting pushed up.

Perhaps you can get your Kimber converted so that the safety locks the bolt down.