New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russell/Ultimasate Lodge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It is with great sorry that I can report to many of his friends here on AR that Russell passed away earlier today. It had been a very long, difficult and uphill battle after the surgery was completed. He had been battling phnenomena for a couple of weeks which he finally succumed too in his weakend condition. Russell helped so may outfitters, clients, and PH's he well be so gretly missed. For sure after 14-15 trips to Zim and always stopping to see Russell, Vic Falls will never be the same. No word in regards to the lodge if it will be sold or a family member may try and get in running again.I don't expect this decision anytime soon.
RIP my dear friend.

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Terrible news, RIP Russ!

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terrible news. I was hoping to see him again this year. Russell wanted one last great escape last time we spoke-he wanted to float the Zambezi from Vic Falls to Lake Kariba, and thru email and FB constantly prodded me to set it up. Maybe he was joking, but it sure sounded grand to me. Russell was a great guy. Always positive and happy, regardless of his difficulties with life. I initially met Russell and David Hulme at the same time -- at Russell's Lodge, along with 3 of the original and last remaining "Dugga Boys" the last of the Rhodesian Game Rangers. Sad both David and Russell passed away without being able to see them again. I have often wondered if the three game rangers are still alive. Russell sure liked singing and dancing and stories about old Africa and adventures in distant places
I know this-God has a special place for both of them. Russell, your agony is over. Rest in peace and knowledge that you made this world a better place
One of the nicest evenings I have ver spent in Zim, at Russell's with my daughter

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I never met Russell but heard many great stories of him. From what I can gather, he was a well loved and highly respected fellow. Same for David Hulme, whom I also never met, other than here on AR and Facebook.

I regret I never got to meet either fellow in person. Rest in Peace guys and may we meet one day on the other side.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad, indeed. We had a great time with Russell and his crew last year. His mother, very nice lady, was visiting at the time and although we did not get much rest, as Russell said, "We partied like Rock Stars". Hoping he gets to listen to AC/DC where he is at.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
May Russell rest in peace, and may God comfort his mother, family and friends. He was a brave and generous man who knew no limits, and who inspired so many of us. He will be dearly missed.

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace, my friend. For me, Vic Falls will never be the same again without him. I am SO glad I got to stay with Russell at the Ultimate Lodge, and got to know him. On my very first trip to Vic Falls my brother and I stayed with him. What memories! I wouldn't have wanted to be introduced to Zim and Vic Falls any other way. The last time I talked to him he was saying he wanted to take me and my brother into Chobe. I'm sorry that will never happen. From what I understand, David Hulme was writing a book on Russell's life when he passed away not long ago, in his prime of life. Now, Russell is gone in his prime also. Very, very sad. Yes, Russell made this world, and especially Zim, a better place. See you on the other side, my friend.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Had some interesting times with Russ. Was a real character. Will not forget him.RIP Mate.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He gave it his all and that is the best any one can offer.

I would like to give life as much a go.

RIP.

Posts: 376 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was a great guy with a larger than life character. Hope his family find peace knowing that his pain is done.

RIP!

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sad, Rest in peace in Russell. You will be fondly remembered.

Pete Barnard Safaris
www.africanhunting.biz

Posts: 141 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Russell

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Here's how most folks saw Russell.... making sure that everything was just right.

He was so good to me and my daughters on many trips to The Falls. We'll miss him. He was a good man!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sad indeed.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tragic loss of a wonderful guy who always made you feel special and welcome. Always wear the shoes on special occasions which we picked up from Russell on our last visit. So many of the greats met at his Lodge. He shall always be missed by all who knew him. If you ever visited Vic Falls and did not meet Russell you really missed the boat. Go Well Bwana!

Photobucket

Posts: 410 | Location: Benton, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: 16 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only stayed at the Lodge once but it was a great time with Russell and friends. RIP

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Russ -a great guy who was always very hospitable and generous to me and my team when we visited the falls! Cheers Buzz

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bcolyer
posted Hide Post
My heart is Broken.....what a generous brother he was. At least part of my family got to meet him and know the man we called 'Uncle Russ'. Molepole is right......a trip to Vic Falls will NEVER BE THE SAME. RIP dear friend. I will miss you.

Posts: 505 | Location: Farmington, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vic Falls will not be the same. Sleep tight old friend.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
REST IN PEACE

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never met Russell, but have heard a lot of good things about him. Had hoped to meet him when I made it to Vic Falls. We will meet another place for sure. Thoughts and prayers to all.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
In his youth, and obviously before he lost the use of his legs, Russell was an amazingly sprinter. Lots of us have seen the pictures and awards on the walls of Ultimate Lodge. Thinking of my stays there, this verse came to mind:

1 Corinthians 9:24
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

Legs or not, Russell never settled for second, which leads one to another of St. Paul's letters:

From the 4th chapter of 2nd Timothy

6For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. 7I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the benefit of spending two days with Russell after my safari this summer. The evening I was there reminded me of cross between a fraternity house and the bar scene from Star Wars.

There was a cast of characters comprised of PH's, hunters, fisherman, and tourists who heard about the place. The amount of nationalities represented at the lodge would put the UN to shame. During all this Russell was engaging, laughing,drinking, and ensuring that all had a good time.

For those who passed through it felt like crashing at a buddies place when you were on a road trip.

The world is a bit less colorful without him around. Rest in peace.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a shame! I never met Russell but heard nice things about him throughout the years. Poor guy had more than his share of bad luck.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a shame, I was privileged to stay with Russell last summer. Those two days were the highlight of the trip.
He will be missed. Rest in peace, and leave a space at the fire for me.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
God bless,rest in peace.

DRSS

Posts: 2283 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are special people in this world that handle adversity well & touch lives in a very positive way, they are few, & certainly need to be honored & remembered. It is apparent that Russel was one of the few.
I never met him, but I hope I never forget him.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
There are special people in this world that handle adversity well & touch lives in a very positive way, they are few, & certainly need to be honored & remembered. It is apparent that Russel was one of the few.

+1

No one can know how they would handle life's bumps that someone else is handling well until those cards are dealt to them. Some people have that special ability to carry the load so much better than most of us would.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bummer. I have heard so many good things about Russell. I was planing to stay at Ultimate in June. May he rest in peace.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never met him, but his tributes here certainly tell me it is my loss as well!

RIP!

D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm deeply saddened to hear of Russell's passing. He was a good friend and an inspiration to all who had the honor to meet him. We stayed with Russell many times. On one occasion, before the total collapse of the Zim dollar, Russell gave us a whole SUIT CASE of Zim $$ to pay for dinner at the famous wild game diner in Victoria Falls known as the BOMA. The bill totaled over $100,000 dollars and we were a bit short of cash.... One call and Russell came with another suit case. We had some great times around the fire with Russell and his friends and guests on many occasions. I stopped in just last July to say hello before my lion hunt and gave him a bottle of Jamesons and told him to hold it till the end of my safari. Sadly I was not able to return.

Russell suffered more than any one human I've ever known and never complained. Always a positive attitude and keeping up the good fight. We have lost a true brother here. Rest in Peace my friend.

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

GO HUNTING NOW WHILE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY ABLE

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I met Russell in 2009 and we have tried to keep up with him since that trip. We did the Chobe Park tour, fishing in the Zambesi where my wife caught her first fish, and the helicopter flight over the Falls. He went above and beyond what anyone would have done for us on that trip. The only time I ever found him low was after his amputation and he rebounded quickly from that. I admired his spirit and personality. He is sorely missed by the two of us.

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:

+1

No one can know how they would handle life's bumps that someone else is handling well until those cards are dealt to them. Some people have that special ability to carry the load so much better than most of us would.

So very well said by someone who should know! Jim, what you and Joyce have persevered through, as well as what Russell kept a positive spirit through, should inspire others who have not experienced the challenges Joyce and Russell met with a positive attitude. A positive attitude is so important, may it sustain Joyce clear back to her pre-illness health!

My Russell rest in peace.

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote