Find
Notify
Tools

Wait for those late season offers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted
Time continues to march on and in 2025 I hit the half century mark. I am hoping to do my first DG hunt to celebrate. Most likely it will be for buffalo. Year after year we all see late in the season deals come to offer with well known and respected PHs. Most are on my short list. I know planning a hunt is half the fun, but I'm considering rolling the dice and waiting to see what may pop in 2025. I figure the worse case is if nothing comes along, I wait another year and I put a deposit down for 2026. Who has done this in the past?

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
There was a day when there were plenty of those “deals”. I hunted Chinko in CAR on short notice for less than 1/2 the quoted rate. Cahorra Bassa in Moz for low 4 figures for monster croc and hippo. Fairgame took me to Zambia for the first time for what felt like pennies. That being said, it’s been a long time since I e seen deals like those and don’t expect to ever see them again. That Buff hunt Mark is selling in Makuti (?) is some throw back pricing, I didn’t think I would ever see wild Buffalo for under $15k again, and he’s way under. I do wonder if we will see some significant discounts next year due to the economy?

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
With 19 of our prime concessions closed I predict there will be some bargains when they re-open

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9879 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
The COVID stuff may have pushed bookings out a bit, which means future calendars are stacked a bit. However, those timelines might also mean other opportunities.

Some also might be “last minute” hunts, which could mean within 3-4 weeks. That short timeframe could translate into higher airfare, but not always. However, I could also preclude you from taking your own rifle due to the permit process.

That’s pretty much a non-answer, but things to consider.

Mark Young, other agents, or outfitters will definitely know better.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3435 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
With 19 of our prime concessions closed I predict there will be some bargains when they re-open

Andrew you really expect the will ever open again.

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be careful on late season hunts.
Hit or miss.
You will be in for some very hot weather.
A great "deal" may not be as some of the deals are in areas that were heavily hunted and you are being offered left over quota.

I suggest that you pick the best possible dates in prime areas. Go where the animals are.

A last minute cancellation is not a bad deal but do your homework.

Some areas are devoid of water late in the season making the area "devoid" of the animals you are after.

Do want to rain on your parade but deals too good to be true usual are not good.

Posts: 10243 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with late season hunting.

I do it every year.

But, our hunts are booked in advance - silently!

We just say “see you next year”! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67200 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're a couple years younger than me. Yeah, I'd roll the dice if you don't mind some potential high temps. Bring electrolyte, drink a ton of water, proper clothing to stay cool, etc.

BUT nowadays I'll only jump on a deal in a good area, with good outfitter & I'd jump on it fast if I knew the PH was great. Don't do something just for the price, sometimes there's a damn good reason that the dates weren't booked up...

The heat can be an issue, but animals are likely to be concentrated around water. In the right area, animals will be coming in from a Nat'l park because the outfitter is pumping water into tanks (ponds). So maybe you don't get to hunt as many hours daily, but still see plenty of game. In some areas, the buffalo density goes up CONSIDERABLY the later in the year it gets.

Good luck!

Posts: 437 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are good and bad points to last minute booking.

The good is price and to some extent late season hunts mean the team is familiar with what is going on there that year and as it’s hot and dry, game tends to be really near water.

The down side is quotas are very limited and picked over, and the heat can really get you.

You might also get hit with the rains that can really restrict your hunting.

If you are dreaming of a certain animal, you are at the mercy of available quota.

But if you are reasonably in shape and tolerant, these late season specials can be amazing.

My first lion hunt was one of these. Unfortunately, the lion didn’t cooperate, but it was a wonderful hunt regardless.

From my end, if you are a one and done guy, a late booking hunt leaves a lot of holes in goals potentially. But for someone who has no set goals and just wants to experience the bush, they are a great deal.

So if you are one of those “I need a Kudu” types, don’t do it. If you are “I will shoot what’s available and have fun!” It’s for you.

Posts: 10724 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I think all you guys should refrain from jumping on late season hunting opportunities. It's just not a good idea for ya'll.

Wink

Most of my African animals in my trophy room were taken on late season deals. That includes elephant (3 in October and 1 in December), Leopard (October), Lion (October), and quite a few plains game animals.

So please, leave those late season hunts alone!

Cool

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
And tickets are usually more reasonable in later season and besides, I usually book 2-3 weeks in advance and so if I pay few hundred more

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Biddleman
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your insights and opinions. You've given me some things to mull over.

Posts: 134 | Location: Wrightsville, PA | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An argument could be made that for a first DG hunt as little as possible should be left to chance, and it's the ideal one to savor the planning and anticipation that may not be as intense in later hunts.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9630 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
I also took a safari Tanzania in November and dodged th the rains and had a great hunt.

Multiable Cape buffalo, however it was some work and the temperatures were in the 90 and 100+ i had a great time.

So late Cape buffalo are available sometimes,.

I did miss out our on the possible leopard that the next client was an also way take.

So now that I have some medical issues taken care of i will be looking at the DSC convention for some potential animals to go after.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1586 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'm not yet nimble enough with my life and my schedule to be able to jump on such opportunities.

After I retire, maybe.

But even after I retire, I'm sure I'll still be a Type A planner and scheduler about such things.

Those traits have always served me well and are probably immutable.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13442 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of a couple that would make your head spin. Good luck everyoneSmiler)

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've done late season quota mop up hunts before, but they were arranged in advance. Yes, it's hot, but can be a bargain and an opportunity. That said, unless I ever decide to retire, I can't do the last minute hunts. And that's not likely. What would I do when I'm not hunting?

Posts: 10079 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
WTA send out cancellation hunts to my inbox almost daily.

Some are good deals, others not.

There were $1500 Raton, NM pronghorns last year. I was the second or third caller. Cheapest cancellations are days from the hunt start date.

So yes they are out there.

You need to:

1. Have the cash on hand.
2. Keep yourself in shape year-round and healthy.
3. Have an active passport
4. Be available

Pretty easy to do if you can have all 4.

I know quite a few folks that have no availability.

I don't ever plan on retiring, so that is my only logistical problem. Sometimes I can go, sometimes I can't.

Posts: 7770 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Do your due diligence ahead of time and make a list of PH's, outfits, and areas you would like to experience.

That way if a discount comes up you will already know the offer is with someone you wish to hunt with.

My 0.02

Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7601 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote