Notify
Tools

Living happily Together
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68779 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Saeed, you have the ultimate zoo....it's yours! Thanx for posting, I always enjoy seeing your animals.
PS: just a thought - have you ever considered putting together some educational CD's? Study pics of different animals for instance. Close up views of each animals anatomy; overall form, face, eyes/ears/noses, posture? It would be a Taxidermist's dream come true, let alone the educational market. I think it would be a worth while project and profits could go towards feed, fencing and overall maintenance of your zoo. I have some background in this. Any questions just ask.
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6823 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Interesting how they have trimmed the trees all to a uniform height

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Saeed, Beautiful animals! You've got quite a collection, and your own little safari. are you starting your own concession?...hehehe

It's nice to see the live ones too...thanks for sharing....CK

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Saeed ...

Nice collection of species you have.

Just a few questions please

1) What size is the Zoo

2) What sort of numbers exist and names of species are you conserving

3) Is it relatively easy to get import permits for bringing live animals into UAE/Dubai

4) Do you have any other particular species on your future wishlist for adding to the collection

What is the main purpose for having the Zoo, personal pleasure in wildlife OR are you thinking about expanding into a larger game conservation project in the future.

Cheers to all

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Have you had any issues with the males looking to start fights during breeding seasons?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice AND very interesting, Saeed.

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Cool!

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 933 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
Thanks for posting those. They are incredible!

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very sad situation. Although I am sure they have the best of care I would rather see them mounted on the wall rather than held in captivity. What is the difference between a zoo and a prison? Other than the animal has done nothing to deserve his prison cell.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Saeed, thumb

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think we have something like 25 acres, which includes our house and garden.

We have sectioned an area and split it into two parts where the gazells live.

We started off with a pair each Thmpons and Grants, and 12 Dorcas gazells. The Dorcas have been breeding all year round, and have increased to over 100.

The Tommy's and Grants have added up two.

We got 3 Arabian Oryx, and one baby was born about a month ago. We have 6 sheep, 5 black buck, 3 schimitar horned oryx, 4 Arabian ibex, two addax, many ostriches, 13 crocodiles, seven cheetahs.

The males do fight, and sometimes injure each other.

We have an exchange program with other places, where we exchange animals we do have for those we don't.

Some animals are relatively easy to import, others require an import license.

We get many visits from schools, bringing their children to see the animals. We lay a snack table for them by the pool, where we have several heads of animals displayed. And half way through thier visit, they anjoy a snack and talk about all the animals.

Generally several mothers, in addition to some teachers, come along. And I think we have had a very good result in removing the myth of how destructive hunting is.

The kids love to see the cheetahs being fed, ad they like to feed our parrots and macaws.

One of the biggest attractions seem to be our crocodile trophies. We lay them on the grass, and the kids love to play with them. In fact, it is normally quite hard to get them to go back to school!

Posts: 68779 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dwarf416
posted Hide Post
Thanks, thanks, thanks. this post permitted me to state apoint to a greeny, of how hunters do and invest more money on consevation in the world, than all their jip japing dancing

diego

Posts: 645 | Location: madrid spain | Registered: 31 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Living happily inside a fence? That's such a subjective opinion. I don't call that living, much less happily. I wouldn't want to live in a cage.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If only the members of AR would also live happily together....

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Living happily inside a fence? That's such a subjective opinion. I don't call that living, much less happily. I wouldn't want to live in a cage.

"Happy" is relative.

Starvation and predation are natural circumstances that many creatures endure. For them, a level of "captivity" might be a welcome change!

I'm glad these animals have the chance to serve an educational function.

Posts: 276 | Location: VA/WV borderlands | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:

The obvious answer is I wouldn't want my head hanging in a trophy room.

Saeed has a wonderful zoo, and just like hunting there is nothing wrong with it.

Don

Posts: 26548 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I wonder why people equate animals with humans?

Animals in the wild search for food, avoid being eaten and breed.

In or zoo, they have plenty of food, and breed all year round - unlike in the wild, where they breed according to seasonal changes.

And the only one trying his best to eat tem is Walter. And I have given him an ultimatum.

That poachers in my yard will be shot on sight clap

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
During these school visits, Walter is kept hidden and out of sight, correct? dancing

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post

These guys are 'my' pets, they live in a zoo of sorts. All three are different species and eat different foods. This is how they spend most of their day - easy living I call it.

They are African desert lizards.

Given a choice of outdoors or staying in their safe zoo they choose the zoo, claws down! The big one on the bottom will go outside to deficate but he will go right back to the door to 'go home'. If you are standing there he hops right into your hands or just let him in and he walks across the living room to his habitat. It's quite hilarious to watch.

The one on the top is at least 22 years old, he hates going outside yet he is from Sudan.

The middle one is still a baby and captive born, but is already happily domesticated.

~Ann

Posts: 19559 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Just to keep the ANTI ZOO individuals happy, lets call Saeed's reserve a (Wildlife Conservation Property) and then everyone will live happily ever after.

Thanks Saeed for the explanations, and what a great idea to let the humans in to experience nature first hand.

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

And the only one trying his best to eat them is Walter.

A hungry Walter staring at anything would make blood run cold!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote