Find
Notify
Tools

Sitatunga in Zambia
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted
I understand the best location to hunt Sitatunga in Zambia is the Bangweulu Swamps. Are there other locations in Zambia with concentrations of sitatunga that can be hunted?

Thank you,

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Tondwa concession with Muchinga Safaris.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bangwelu is a multi outfitter area. My understanding is the success rate there is substantially lower than Tondwa.

I shot black lechwe and Tsessebe in Bangwelu 7 years ago. I didn't see any sitatunga, but we were not really looking for them.

I hunted sitatunga in Tondwa this summer. We saw lots of them. It is my understanding that Muchinga has gone 100% on them for the last several years.

There are more animals available to hunt at Tondwa than Bangwelu, but Bangwelu is the only place you can hunt black lechwe.

Posts: 10811 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bangweulu may be the classic place for sitatunga hunting in Zambia, but I wouldn't say it's the best. Lunga Luswishi, on the northeast corner of the Kafue National Park, is arguably the best. It produced the world record (35") in 2008 and has produced a number of trophies in the 30-31 inch range in recent years, as well as a pile of bulls north of 26 inches.

I worked there as an appy during the 2011 and 2012 seasons, before the closure (it's now reopening). We had one client miss shots at a 31 incher and a 29 incher and also pass up a less-than-perfect shot at a 27 incher--all in a ten day safari. We helped another client take a sitatunga that was just under 31 inches. No one who hunted sitatunga with us went home without a shot opportunity. As a client, I killed a 27 incher in 2010.

Other GMAs with sitatunga include Lunga Busanga and Kasonso Busanga. And Tondwa, as mentioned. Andrew Baldry's Royal Kafue is across the Kafue River from Lunga Luswishi and has a few sitatunga, as does the Mushingashi private reserve (though I'm not sure that they've ever sold any sitatunga hunts at Mushingashi). Also, the Nchila Safaris private reserve runs a nice operation and has sitatunga that they claim are forest sitatunga, though most Zambian PHs strongly disagree with that classification. But even if they are "just" Zambezi sitatunga, any mature sitatunga bull is a great trophy.

They are truly a magical animal, appearing out of thin air in the reeds and disappearing just as quickly. They can walk easily in reed swamps where the water would cover your head. And they're close relatives of the bushbuck, so they do similar barking. After buffalo, they are my very favorite animal to hunt, and I had the good fortune of hunting a wide variety of game, including lions, leopards, sable, and more in Lunga Luswishi and also the Namwala and Nkala GMAs. There's just something special about climbing up in a machan or a tree, or on top of an ant hill, and quietly glassing for horn tips as the sun comes up.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I agree and the hotspot would be Lunga Luswishi with Richard Bell Cross for big Sitatunga. This big game area still can offer the hunter a chance to hunt distant swamps that have not been hunted before. Here you get to explore and the hunting is adventurous and conducted on dry land. You can also tack on Kafue Lechwe and a host of plains game. Richard will be at both DSC and SCI or can be contacted direct.

Tondwa with Johnny DuPlooy is another option and you will get a Sitatunga here but not sure what else is on offer? Tondwa is up against Tanganika and incurs either a very long drive or charter.

They only took a couple of Sitatunga out of Bangweulu this year and I failed to find one for my client. For me this area was disappointing.

I am taking my Sitatunga off quota as it is not sustainable but looking at a new opportunity across the river where there are many. Again this are is unexplored and never been hunted.

Hunting Sitatunga is a very fine sport due to the exploration and the anticipation of what may be in those swamps.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9907 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Here is one we did not take and was photographed by an apprentice hunter.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandyhunter:
Bangweulu may be the classic place for sitatunga hunting in Zambia, but I wouldn't say it's the best. Lunga Luswishi, on the northeast corner of the Kafue National Park, is arguably the best. It produced the world record (35") in 2008 and has produced a number of trophies in the 30-31 inch range in recent years, as well as a pile of bulls north of 26 inches.

I worked there as an appy during the 2011 and 2012 seasons, before the closure (it's now reopening). We had one client miss shots at a 31 incher and a 29 incher and also pass up a less-than-perfect shot at a 27 incher--all in a ten day safari. We helped another client take a sitatunga that was just under 31 inches. No one who hunted sitatunga with us went home without a shot opportunity. As a client, I killed a 27 incher in 2010.

Other GMAs with sitatunga include Lunga Busanga and Kasonso Busanga. And Tondwa, as mentioned. Andrew Baldry's Royal Kafue is across the Kafue River from Lunga Luswishi and has a few sitatunga, as does the Mushingashi private reserve (though I'm not sure that they've ever sold any sitatunga hunts at Mushingashi). Also, the Nchila Safaris private reserve runs a nice operation and has sitatunga that they claim are forest sitatunga, though most Zambian PHs strongly disagree with that classification. But even if they are "just" Zambezi sitatunga, any mature sitatunga bull is a great trophy.

They are truly a magical animal, appearing out of thin air in the reeds and disappearing just as quickly. They can walk easily in reed swamps where the water would cover your head. And they're close relatives of the bushbuck, so they do similar barking. After buffalo, they are my very favorite animal to hunt, and I had the good fortune of hunting a wide variety of game, including lions, leopards, sable, and more in Lunga Luswishi and also the Namwala and Nkala GMAs. There's just something special about climbing up in a machan or a tree, or on top of an ant hill, and quietly glassing for horn tips as the sun comes up.

Found a pic of your sitatunga. You still owe me a beer for that one.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Current world record taken in Lunga Luswishi. Operator/PH Richard Bell Cross is on the left. Interesting to note that this particular swamp had been poached out of all other game.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I still wish for you to come to DSC. I'll buy the beer or scotch.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't hesitate to give it a go in the Kasonso - Busanga GMA.

Posts: 16 | Location: Mutanda Nature Reserve, North Western Zambia. | Registered: 12 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SingleShot - I just posted hunt offerings in the hunt offerings section in Lunga Luswhshi for 2016. As others have mentioned, one of the best places for Zambezi Sitatunga in Zambia, and easy to get to the area.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I still wish for you to come to DSC. I'll buy the beer or scotch.

Throw in the air ticket and I am there mate.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank everyone for the great response. You have provided more information on Sitatunga hunting in Zambia than all of my days of searching on the internet.

I will take a few days to digest and map all of this info.

Thank you again,

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Found a pic of your sitatunga. You still owe me a beer for that one.

Indeed I do. Here's hoping I'll get the chance to pay up in person before too long.

Team Bell-Cross getting the area back is some of the best news I've heard all year. A great development for anyone wanting to take a sitatunga, that's for sure.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

I am taking my Sitatunga off quota as it is not sustainable

Tell them the truth. You don't like finding them in the dark.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7611 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Be sure not to let your PH start drinking champagne before the hunt is over rotflmo

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You and Joyce do it right my friend. Good times those.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You and Joyce do it right my friend. Good times those.

"This Seal walks into a club".....

Video

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7611 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote