New
Find
Notify
Tools

taxidermists near Upington, RSA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going on a self guided gemsbok and springbok hunt near Upington, RSA in early June. From there I'm going to do some bird shooting for a few days on the Orange River. I need to drop off my trophies in between so they don't spoil. Does anyone out there know where I can find someone who can european mount them and then ship them back to the US with the neccesary paperwork? Also, if anyone knows how I would go about getting a local PH to get me the log book info that's needed for export, I would be greatly indebted. Thanks- Jared V

Posts: 47 | Location: Woodinville Washington, USA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted Hide Post
I use Natural Creations Taxidermy in Potchefstroom when I hunt that part of South Africa. The owner is Gerhard Swart His phone # is +27 (0)18 297 8878.
His email is ncreations@mweb.co.za
I have been very pleased with my mountings so far.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You might consider contacting PH Lieb DuRaan at ingwesafari@lantic.net He is located in Douglas, South Africa and has access to a local taxidermist.

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
To tell you the truth, a PH would have to be pretty stupid to let you use his logbook

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Ain't that the truth. The PH would actually be breaking the law by writing you up if he hasn't hunted you........ you might like to check recent posts related to this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for replying. Thank you shakari for pointing me towards the related post that deals with unguided SA hunting (I searched before I posted but didn't find it at first). It really is too bad that hunting on a family friends farm is illegal w/o a all the PH bullshit. I go on 10 day 50+ mile round trip backpack hunts with my brother in wilderness areas (yes, bears and cougars can be dangerous game, not to compare them to Africa's dangerous game though) and I would have to hire a guide to hunt wilderness areas in some other western states as well (read: money for outfitters who do nothing that I can't do as well or better myself). I pride myself on not having to rely on someone else doing the hunting while I get to do the shooting. I was really looking forward to hunting with some good friends while enjoying some great Afrikaner hospitality. It really isn't worth the potential of finding myself (or others) in a legal bind so I'm not going. However, while it is important to regulate who's running around with guns, I feel that hunting with a private landowner, for no monetary compensation, with his gun, on a 30K+ hectare farm, which has excess animals that they want culled is stupid to make illegal. I'm a twenty year old college kid who doesn't have rich parents and can't afford to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars to hunt. It truly would be an experience of a lifetime to hunt here in Africa-you could come to my place and I could take you hunting for free on public as well as private land. Too bad hunting anywhere but America (only DIY hunts) is only for the rich. This site has the most comprehensive body of knowledge in regards to hunting that I could ever hope to find. Thanks again for ranting, I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just disappointed that come sense, ethical hunting is outlawed to line the pockets of "professionals."

Posts: 47 | Location: Woodinville Washington, USA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
My understanding was that you can hunt on a friends farm in SA as long as there is no money or compensation changing hands. Not sure about trophy export though.

Is this correct?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The other threads pretty much spelled it out but basically the legal situation is (as verified to me by PHASA) that if you can prove that the entire hunt is a gift and costs the hunter nothing at all, the overseas hunter can hunt without a PH - However, he won't be able to import rifles nor will he be able to export trophies. Whoever lends a firearm to the overseas hunter should accompany that hunter at all times to ensure the rifle remains under his direct control.

Exact situations vary from province to province a little though - and when the new act comes into force it wouldn't suprise me if there was a plain requirement for all overseas hunters to be accompanied by a PH when hunting.