New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hippo and Croc
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for recommendations for a hippo and croc hunt in April or May of 2010. Taking in laws along. Would like to return with them. They are pretty good folks.

Posts: 71 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
I do not know if Mozambique is open for hunting then, but I will speak to Walter Enslin from Kwan Safaris if I where you. He posts here as Kwan.

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The Mozambique season start 1st June: http://www.shakariconnection.c...ting-mozambique.html

As Karl says, Mozambique would be a good option if you can make the dates fit.

We have a number of very good Mozambican operators here, amongst them are Johan 'Bahati' Strasheim, Walter Enslin and Toni Wicker.

One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
universalman

The Mozambique hunting season only opens in June ... but offers good Hippo & Croc. Let me know if I can help - send me e-mail at jsa@mweb.co.za.

Johan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard good reviews for J.P. Kleinhans Safaris. His website has contact details.

Glad to read good in-law comment clap

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
Mozambique

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to Zimbabwe in the area of Lake Kariba. You will fly into and out of Vic Falls, and can arrange a few days to go see "the smoke that thunders." Unfortunately, when you are hunting, there will probably be nothing for your in-laws to do. Crocs are very wary and you don't want to have a lot of extra people to spook them. I would recommend Atcheson's as a booking agent.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Carel Maartens, Southern Safaris Mozambique. Great area accessed by boat from Luangua Landing Zambia. Lots of big hippo and crocs, great bushbuck and other Big stuff...not expensive. Great camp for everyone, great Tiger Fishing too! info@suthernsafaris.co.za
They just had a new baby girl too!

470EDDY

Posts: 2574 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Lake Cahora Bassa, Mozambique w/ Kwan safaris. Walter and his crew were top notch, 2 guys in camp, both got huge crocs and great hippo bulls. I just posted my report on Hunting Reports, check it out, can't reccomend Kwan enough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by universalman:
Looking for recommendations for a hippo and croc hunt in April or May of 2010. Taking in laws along. Would like to return with them. They are pretty good folks.

Are some operators only good for hippo IN THE DEEP WATER?
I would not want to do that. The videos I've seen of them being
hunted on the land or in very shallow water looked like it was a
real adrenaline rush!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
I've heard good reviews for J.P. Kleinhans Safaris. His website has contact details.

Glad to read good in-law comment clap

+1

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chete Safari Area

General Plainsgame Hunting
Chete is not heavily populated with a diverse antelope population although certain species are in abundance such as kudu, klipspringer and impala. What is exceptional in Chete is the crocodile and hippo hunting along the shores and tributaries of Lake Kariba. There is a very healthy population of kudu and trophies in excess of 55 inches are taken each year. Other species which can be taken include bushbuck, sable, impala, klispringer, zebra, hyena, waterbuck, warthog, baboon and birds.

This is from their website regarding Chete.

www.hhksafaris.com

We hunted out of the Omay in 2003. My husband took a 12'8'' (peg to peg) crocodile and our friend Gilberto took a 14'5" croc. Gilberto wounded a hippo for lion bait that was not recovered. There were crocs and hippos everywhere in Lake Kariba.

Good luck on your hunt.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9380 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted croc at JP Kleinhans Mozambique camp. I shot a 13 footer, and a 14 footer came in just before my arrival. A fine camp and a good guy. Very good plains game, good buff and sable available as well. Hippo are available, but you may not be able to hunt on land.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you to those who responded with some recommendations. I am on the hunt here so to speak for next year. I leave for the Save on Tuesday the 6th for first lion hunt. New member here, i will try and report on the hunt on my return.

Posts: 71 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Good hunting on the Lion

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
universalman,

Good luck on the lion hunt. Are you hunting with Johnny Hulme, Zambezi Hunters? If so, tell tracker Amos we think of him and his nephew Fari every time we look at the lion mount.

I saw by your location, you are in North Pole Alaska. After my husband's moose hunt we traveled around the State and visited Santa's workshop in North Pole. Is it still in business there?

We leave for Ethiopia on October 7th and I am sure you are excited as we are going back to Africa. Once again, best of luck on your hunt.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9380 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathi:
universalman,

Good luck on the lion hunt. Are you hunting with Johnny Hulme, Zambezi Hunters? If so, tell tracker Amos we think of him and his nephew Fari every time we look at the lion mount.

I saw by your location, you are in North Pole Alaska. After my husband's moose hunt we traveled around the State and visited Santa's workshop in North Pole. Is it still in business there?

We leave for Ethiopia on October 7th and I am sure you are excited as we are going back to Africa. Once again, best of luck on your hunt.

Kathi,
Thank you for the good tidings of luck. Yes i will be hunting lion, my first. The PH who will be conducting the hunt is Andy Hunter. The safari operator is Glenn Stockill of Shangaan Hunters on the Senuko Ranch i believe. Wendell Reich arranged this hunt. So far it has gone quite smoothly. All have tolerated my dumb questions.I leave Tuesday morning on the bleary eye flight. It is a lonnnnnng ways from here.
In answer to your inquiry about the Santas house. It is still in business with the very large figure of Santa. When were you in NOrth Pole? My business in NOrth Pole has the real BIG candy canes that hold our sign up.It has been great fun through the years to tell people I am from North POle. Most hear I am from THE North Pole. Good for some grins.
Good luck back to you. Look forward to read your report

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Take the folks to Victoria Falls and stay at Gorges Lodge or the Vic Falls hotel. Then go to Chikwenya lodge on the Zambezi river - website ,www.chikwenyasafaris.com,

Then into Chete. Arrange for a boat and rides/fishing for non-hunters. Lots of fishing and game viewing from the boat. Graham Hingston at www.hhksafaris.com can arrange the whole thing, including tours, river rafting, etc.

I'm repeating the above in late September of 2010... and you'll get to hunt a hippo on the shore and not in the water if you so wish. Last time on Lake Kariba I'd reckon that I saw dozens and dozens of both Crocs and Hippo that were on the shore and stalkable... if that's a word.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
i have hunted with both Johan( Bahati) and Walter(Kwan) and can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that both operations are top notch. They operate in greatly different areas of Moz. but you will not find better folks to deal with. At the end of the day, you will enjoy both places and especially the people who run them- and the trophies available are top shelf.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13179 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I have to give the nod to Chifuti along the Zambezi. The camps are incredible and your in-laws would have a great time there. PM me and I'll send you some photos by email.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without question..Carel Marttens Southern Safaris...Monster croc and hippo...beautiful camp right on the banks of the Zambezi..Carel and Anita are wonderful people..great food..and for your inlaws..tiger fishing and or just crusing in 1 of the most spectactular areas of Africa...they will have the time of thier lives!!!

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote