New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back after 23 days PICTURES ADDED
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got back this morning and what a trip, it could have been a bad deal but it all worked out - thanks Kathi. I struck out on the little guys but did take a nice Leopard, Waterbuck and Common Reedbuck. Will post more later and hope some pics.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those little guys can be a pain -I also struck out on steenbuck, duiker and reedbuck this year. Looking forward to the leopard pics!

And welcome home Big Grin

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Welome home! Glad to hear you got your leopard. If you have videop, please bring it when you come to visit this summer.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, and welcome home. I was also successful on my leopard and waterbuck, but the reedbuck-bushbuck-nyala will have to wait for an RSA trip in the future. Can't wait to see your pics. I saw some monster steenbok, but every time I looked at the rifle, the wife just shook her head and I got the "LOOK". Oh well, that's life!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to the pictures & story. Of particular interest are your impressions of the current situation in Zimbabwe from a tourist-hunter perspective. Specifically, did you feel threatened or in danger in any way. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Cant wait for the pics. Tinnie Winnies are a challenge!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ed, welcome back....You know you will have to come back to Dallas for an update in first person....

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Die Ou Jagter. Normans secretary told me you got your Leopard.
Congratulations.

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Welcome back. Get those leopard pics posted asap.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I think I have someone to add the photos of the hunt.

All started on the 21st of April a Sat. We left camp about 5:00AM to check baits for hits. We found no good hits on baits (tracks big enough to follow) but did find a good track along a road (cats like to travel the roads at night in rach country) and Peter put his lead hound down and soon we could hear the cries of an excited hound and the chase was on. We could hear them and then all would go quite, we were in radio contact with Peter and we moved around to the area we felt they were headed to. We found where they had crossed a road and were headed for a Koppie so we geathered our selves togeather and took off in their direction. The cat went to the top of the koppie and found a nice (for him) cave for safety, about a half and hour later we found his scent where he had exited at the other side of the Koppie and got the dogs back on the track as he headed for a nearby Koppie. As the day was warming (I learned that scent leaves the ground as the sun warms the earth) it wasn't long till the dogs lost the scent and the hunt was done for the day - it was about 10:00 AM.

We spent the rest of the morning checking other bait sites for activity. Norm had told me if we don't have him by 10:00 or so with the heat we wil be done for the day other than checkin and replenishing baits.

The next day Sunday we had a little excitement with one short chase maybe 15/20 min. Monday came and went with no activity. Monday afternoon found us looking for bait and wacking a couple of Impala for fresh bait. We took two Impala and hung two sites near the koppie of the first days chase and placed long drages hoping to lure the big tom back.

Tuesday morning started at 4:30AM with great hope and expectations, we knew the fresh baits and prior activity would bear fruit. We got to the area and found only a female had visited the site. So the normal routine begain. We went our seperate ways Peter and the dogs checking one area and Norman, Dumas (tracker first class) and I checking another area. We had only been seperated for about 20 min to half an hr. when the radio crackeled (7.30 AM) and Peter said they had spoted a good size track aong the road and were putting the lead dog down to check the track, and then gave an indication of the direction they were headed. We headed in the indicated direction hoping to meet them.

The cat headed for a hugh koppie and as it seams typical headed for the top and I guess a cave for protection. This tom decided for what ever reason to turn back down the koppie and up a good size tree where he settled in about 35 or 40 feet up. The dogs are just going on and on. Norm and I catch up to the party and everyone is excited and they are telling me where he is in the tree. Well I might have well had a blind fold on as I just couldn't see him. It was getting very frustrating for them and me. They said you must see thru the leaves he is just setting there! I said I just could not find him, so we backed away and went around to another advantage point and the search (for me) was on again and again I just could not see the tom. Man it is getting frustating, Peter came over and said "let me" - taking the rifle and pointing where the cat was. I got back on the rest and as Peter said later "I knew when you saw the cat as your thunb came to the safety knocked it off and your finger squeezed the trigger and the cat fell dead at the bottom of the tree".

Now for a hind site review - I was looking into the wrong tree the whole time - feel stupid no just sorry, as it turned out the cat was back lite by the morning sun and all I saw when I did find him was a silioute of him and had to try to discern where the shoulder would be (could not see a rosette to sight on) and make a good clean hit. Norm was very happy as this was the first one shot kill in the last 10 cats meaning no dangerous follow up. That night they had, well we had a Leopard party Peter and I stayed sobber he had to drive back to camp and I have had too many hang overs. We partied at a nearby farm (where we had killed the Leopard) and we were scheduled to be back in camp at 9:00 PM for dinner and we arrived back incamp at 1:30AM. What a night!

There were Waterbuck across the river from camp and the staff had seen two bulls fighting and it turns out one killed the other as was evident by the smell drifting to camp. We hunted the area Wed and then Thur morning I took a very nice 28" Waterbuck.

I left Zim and traveled to RSA for Vaal Rehbok in Natal on a ranch at about 7,000 ft. talk about a change. These guys are like Pronghorn with kicked up eye sight. Spot them a half mile away and they see you color them gone. I had no sucess.

We went north to the Hluhluwe area for Suni, Red Duiker and Common Reedbuck. We saw only female Red's and a couple of Suni. I did connect with a Common Reedbuck. All in all it was fun and like most hunting not all sucessful.

Now it is time to plan for next year, talking with Norm about a possible PAC Elephant hunt.

I hope the pictures are added.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like one hell of a fine experience. Congratulations!

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
Real Nice Cat thumb

one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Nice cat! Thanks for the pictures.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Ed, a hard hunt and the elusive spotted cat is yours. Tell us about rifle and load to be stored for our future dream hunts. beer thumb Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used my "Afrcian Queen" only rifle I ever named. Win mod 70 in 338 WM (purchased in 1963 just out of college). I took my normal for Africa 225GR Barnes X, but also took Accubond 225 as cats being thin skinned but Norman said these cats are musseled up when treed so I used the Barnes X. I was glad I used the X as Norm told me later this was the first one shot kill in about the last dozen cats they had taken - made me feel damn good. After all the confusion (me not seeing the cat) it was great to make a one shot kill not only for Norm and the crew but for the cat also.

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt and terrific trophys.

Did you paint the "African Queen"? It looks great.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Die

Beautiful big leopard. I can understand the "wrong tree" thing. This last January my French PH was freaking out because I could not see the eland standing behind the white tree. Yep! Wrong white tree. Very frustrating and I missed my opportunity for that day.

Congrats!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Palmer, I did not do the painting, had it done by a professional. Interesting you commented as it is now being stripped and a new skin being applied.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Great leopard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pics. Really a nice picture and pose with your leopard. Running with the dogs is such a rush!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ed, beautiful cat...A well earned trophy is always a super one...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
NICE NICE LEOPARD!!!!

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great leopard, Ed ....... must have been a wonderful hunt ...... good for you.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice.

dancing dancing

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
A leopard simply remains in a class of its own. Such a specimen as this especially.

Congratulations!

I also have sent you PM.

Johan

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your trophies. They all are great looking. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote