THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Re: DOUBLE RIFLE VS BOLT RIFLE, MULTIPLE SHOTS FIRED

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: DOUBLE RIFLE VS BOLT RIFLE, MULTIPLE SHOTS FIRED
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some posters have suggested that my success with the douple is somewhat based on the fact that I "taylored" my hunting to suit the double rifle.
I can asure you that this has not been the case.
When I started using the doubles it was to become proficient with them, and I was willing to accept any limitations their use might bring. The thing is I haven't found any limitations.
In plain English I [or anyone else] can do the same thing with an iron sighted double that you could do with an iron sighted bolt rifle.
By the same token, any thing that can be done with a scoped bolt rifle can be done with a scoped double, out to 200 yards.
I intend to test the long range capabilities of the double. Reports will follow as the resultes are learned.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray
I agree that any rifle that won't shoot a 2 inch group is marginal for hunting, especially for dangerous game. My point, slightly overststed, is that accurate enough for hunting is different than accurate enough for target shooting. Many posters here feel that any rifle that doesn't shoot minute of angle is not worth shooting, yet minute of angle accuracy is not necessary for hunting. A bolt action rifle will usually be more accurate than a double, however a double is still plenty accurate enough to hunt with. At least out to 200 yds.
As for tailoring your hunting to fit the double, I feel that most hunters would be wise to limit themselves to shots of 200 yds or less. For the average hunter a 200 yd shot is a challenge, over this distance the risk of wounding and losing an animal go up significantly. Out to 200 yds, a double is fine.
Again it's a matter of personal preference. I feel that you should shoot the gun that you are most comforable with, it may not be the most accurate but it is the one you will shoot most accurately.

Terry

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow! This one sure got the troops riled up. Pick the rifle you prefer. Practice untill your proficient in all aspects of field shooting. Go out and kill something.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mickey1,
Carefull ole boy you made me fall off my chair, crying in laughter...Stuff like that can injure an old man like me....

Posts: 41865 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote