New
Find
Notify
Tools

mosquito nets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While wandering around Bass Pro today, I came across a mosquito net intended to hang over and protect a bed. Would this be worthwhile/useless/stupid to bring along on an early-August hunt in the Caprivi and northern Botswana? How about DEET-based insect repellent? I'm getting all the recommended vaccinations and malaria prophylaxes already, and will be treating my hunting clothes with Permethrin. Thanks for any input.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has been my experience in Zimbabwe, that if you need Mosquito nets the camp will have them "installed" around your bed.

It would not hurt to spray your clothes with permethrin.

Take the proper malaria prevention for the area.

I carry benedryl as well so if I am bit I do not itch when trying to sleep.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
It has been my experience in Zimbabwe, that if you need Mosquito nets the camp will have them "installed" around your bed.

It would not hurt to spray your clothes with permethrin.

Take the proper malaria prevention for the area.

I carry benedryl as well so if I am bit I do not itch when trying to sleep.

+1

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Add me to the list of spraying your clothing with Permethrin. At night I was able to zip up the tent and spray the tent and that seemed to work in this instance. The most valueable clothting I took was my Shannon Bug Tamer Jacket. It has a built in hood too. The flies were a bear in the first camp in TZ.
I took a Turkey Camo Head net and Geo. Hoffman wore that and was mighty glad I had it in my kit.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You won't see many if any mosquitoes in the Caprivi at that time. Both times I've been there we saw very few at all. Camped within rock tossing distance of the Chobe and I think I saw two mosquitoes total. Heck at night we camped on a boat ON the Chobe. You won't hear the whine of mosquitoes, you WILL hear the sounds of elephants pulling their feet out of the mud though!

The first time we went we sprayed everything liberally with permethrin, took several bottles of repellant etc etc. Left most of it there and just took one small repellant bottle the next time.

The Eastern Caprivi is amazingly "un-buggy" compared to what you would think with the swampy areas and pooled water. Can't speak for the western part of the caprivi.

Take your repellants and anti malaria meds and leave the net at home. Then just have fun!

Posts: 105 | Location: Missoula MT | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark T:
You won't see many if any mosquitoes in the Caprivi at that time. Both times I've been there we saw very few at all. Camped within rock tossing distance of the Chobe and I think I saw two mosquitoes total. Heck at night we camped on a boat ON the Chobe. You won't hear the whine of mosquitoes, you WILL hear the sounds of elephants pulling their feet out of the mud though!

The first time we went we sprayed everything liberally with permethrin, took several bottles of repellant etc etc. Left most of it there and just took one small repellant bottle the next time.

The Eastern Caprivi is amazingly "un-buggy" compared to what you would think with the swampy areas and pooled water. Can't speak for the western part of the caprivi.

Take your repellants and anti malaria meds and leave the net at home. Then just have fun!

Agree but take the net as well. give it away too.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote