Find
Notify
Tools

A most dangerous game by fairgame
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted
Some chaps have suggested I write something interesting or publish one of my experiences from the field rather than debating potentially controversial issues. I am not the best of writers but will have a crack at it.

The following is an account of a relationship between man and beast and was written up a couple of years ago by Peter Flack of African Hunter 2 fame. The following is the abridged version:

Some years ago Barry Bell Cross (owner of Prohunt Zambia) and I were with our wives fishing the Kafue River in the Lunga Luswishi hunting concession. Whilst parked up in a boat behind an island we heard the distant screaming of elephant, which is a fairly common sound in the bush and thought very little of it. It was some minutes later when we heard the most peculiar sound - a noise than none of us recognised and seemed to be coming from the depths of the river itself. We were soon to witness the most incredible sight of a monstrous crocodile barrelling down the river with an elephant calf between its huge jaws. The sound we had heard was the liquid distress call from the partially submerged elephant.

It was all our instinct to interfere with nature and help the hapless youngster from a certain and gruesome death and with the boat we herded the croc towards the riverbank. To our dismay both the croc and elephant simply vanished under water. Just then the tip of the elephant’s truck broke the surface of the water and Barry did what in my opinion was one of the bravest acts ever to be recorded, he jumped into the swirling waters and grabbed the elephant by the trunk. At that point I had loaded my rifle and was pointing it towards the dark shadow of the ugly reptile under the boat. The river was in flood and the bank now was little more than a swamp, the sunken trees making progress difficult. The ensuing commotion seemed to scare off the croc and we managed twice to get the youngster back on land but only to find that it would follow us back into the water. The girls suggested we try and get it into the boat and take back to camp a suggestion that was ignored by both men. The elephant was a year old and was too bulky to handle and only by grabbing its ears could we drag the unfortunate beast back to dry land. This time my mate and I decided to stay with the elephant for awhile. Apart from a few superficial puncture wounds around its neck and shivering with fear it seemed fine. It was also making cute little murmuring noises and kept nuzzling Barry. It was quite surreal to interact with this little wild thing and we were enjoying the moment then. All hell broke loose when mummy arrived and in the most violent fashion. Note we were distant from the boat and the youngster had attached himself to his new human friends leg. Apart from the dreadful noise I remember seeing bits of tree and other foliage being tossed into the air shortly before the great beasts broke through the cover of the dense bush. I think there were three elephants standing over us but I was focused on the one glaring down at me from a great height. Things were very quiet now and the elephants stood stock still, towering above us whilst the baby continued to nuzzle Barry seemingly unaware of the commotion or indeed the presence of its parents. I desperately wanted my friend to get rid of the damn thing but dare not speak. Barry very slowly untangled himself from his latest acquisition and turned the young animal into a position where he could see what was going on around us. The reaction was instant and with a small squeal the youngster ran the very short distance to its mother. More elephants arrived and they to stood around us watching the great matriarch make her next move. Barry gave me one of those we are fucked looks when the lead elephant turned slowly about and walked the herd back into the trees. She stopped once to have a last long and hard look at us.

I remember hearing the sound of my wife crying as Barry and I did shake hands as only good friends could.

Now and again whilst hunting, elephants and I bump into each other and I often wonder if we have met before.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9956 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Nice story!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
At least no one got squashed for their good deed. I think you might worry more about the croc looking for revenge for stealing his meal!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing a most amazing story!

Jason

Posts: 144 | Location: sw Michigan | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was quite surreal

You said it. Good story thanks.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You put me there with you. Wow! Only in Africa.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fairgame,
You remind of my kids when they used to show up at home with a cat, dog, goat or squirrel with the phrase - "can we keep him, he followed us home?"

Good story.

PS - Put the other "pot stirring" to bed, it is beneath you.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
That's great! Thank you for sharing.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fairgame,, that story is exactly what I was talking about,, while we are waiting for our time back in the bush,,, stories such as that stoke the embers inside each of us. thanks

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
A most amazing story, thanks for sharing.

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
I want to shoot the croc that can drag in and swim with a year old elephant in it's moutn tu2

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Thanks for sharing.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
That's a great story. We all have heard of the advanced intelligence that ele's have, and I wonder if they might have realized that you saved the little fellow, or more likely, that you weren't intending harm onto him.

Please share a few more stories of your experiences.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Incredible story. And it is stories like these that give me pause to reflect on the intelligence and complicated social bonds that elephants as species have. It is really quite incredible.

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
That is a great adventure and a riveting story! Thank you for sharing a great story.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible story Elephants are the most amazing animals on earth.

Posts: 108 | Location: USA, Surrey, Loire France  | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
I want to shoot the croc that can drag in and swim with a year old elephant in it's moutn tu2

505. I have tried on numerous occassion and suspect he may have been shot at before? When croc hunting I always bait this part of the river and suspect he feeds only at night. He lives in a tangle of islands and backwaters and on occasion you will see him. There are many big crocs in the Kafue but he is in a league of his own. Will post a couple of picture of some really big crocs that I have taken when I can figure out how do this. Otherwise I could email them to a member and they can post them on my behalf?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
You are an excellent raconteur. That story gave me goose bumps.Thanks for sharing with us.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 810 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great story

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Glad it turned out well for all concerned

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
How big do you reckon the croc was?

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that story from Barry several times, apparently it really did happen!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
I have heard that story from Barry several times, apparently it really did happen!!

The herd seemed to understand that we had done good and the mother obviously witnessed the croc attack. The noises the baby made probably saved our lives but how the mother pin pointed our location is beyond me.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
How big do you reckon the croc was?

Crocs always look huge until you shoot them. We consider a big croc in the Kafue to be 13 feet over the curves and note that unlike the Luangwa the Kafue crocs have tremendous girth. Luangwa crocs tend to be slender. At a rough guess somewhere between 15 and 16 feet which is a fairly accurate measurement as he was along side our 12 foot boat. Like I say we have seen him on a few occasions. Where we are in Luangwa there is also a monster but these really big crocs are almost impossible to shoot.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Here ya go. Andrew and happy client. That thing sure has a set of choppers.

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an interesting story. You and Barry should contact Richard at AHG, or submit the story to his magazine to get it published.

There are many stories of hunter bravery to save the life of another human, but not enough out there where a brave hunter has intervened to save the life of an animal.

That is a tale that underscores the fact that hunters are conservationists. I doubt if Jack Hanna or any other animal rights activist would have jumped in the water and done the same. I don't have anything against Jack Hanna. But people must understand one day that we're not interested in only killing.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more thing Fairgame: I nominate you for the Top 10 best/most useful post for this topic. That gives you the rare distinction of being the only person with one of each in both categories; top ten best and worst.

I gotta give it to ya. You know how to make a splash.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Man, look at those chompers, that is the only thing my croc didn't have. I don't know how he ate anything because he had like 1 tooth. Maybe I'll get to go back and wack one with some teeth. OK, nobody laugh...

one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Wow, what astory!!!
It was so good, my beer got forgot and warm. To be there and not be there!!!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I removed the stick.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
505gibbs, I'm still laughing. Awesome croc, looks like you shot the oldest bastard in the river. It's just the way you worded man,funny.
Scott

Posts: 418 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Man, look at those chompers, that is the only thing my croc didn't have. I don't know how he ate anything because he had like 1 tooth. Maybe I'll get to go back and wack one with some teeth. OK, nobody laugh...

I took a photo just like that of my croc to give to the taxidermist when I had it mounted. I wanted the mouth done just right! Anyone else ever notice that a crocs mouth is yellow inside? That's a great photo!

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story. A truly heroic act.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame,
You are starting to sound like Cynthia Moss Cool

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So now we know how to "bait" for elephants!!! sofa

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Bwanamitch thats not funny. This is.

The following was published a couple of years ago by Magnum (well worth subscribing to) a popular South African hunting magazine.

It began as a favour for a very good friend of mine. He had this mate from South Africa, Theo, who had hunted a bit at home but was now in Zambia and his greatest desire was to hunt a free ranging Buffalo. However he could not pay safari prices and to cut a long story short I got him a permit to hunt in a very marginal area where the game had been for the most poached out. Hammered as the locals kindly informed me.

The area was south of Petauke amongst the rugged foothills of Luangwa’s escarpments. Fantastic country. En route we had met with the local Chief who had seconded to us an archaic tracker type, a couple of village elders, some porters and a scout we named GPS as he managed to loose himself in a thicket on the first day but eventually found his way back to the nearest beer hall. Then the wizened tracker tried this trick, apparently not wanting anything to do with this dangerous game. Unbeknown to me, he directed us away from waterholes and to the very tops of the mountains, anyplace he thought the buffalo were not. ‘These Mbo (buffalo) are very clever’, he would declare as we stood on the pinnacle of yet another exhausting rock climb. The views however were terrific.

It was starting to get a little tedious and I doubted whether I would be able to fulfil Theo’s dream. Our quarry seemed educated in the ways of hunting and what little spoor we found proved that the Buffalo were moving great distances and at a much greater speed than we. I also had what seemed like four fifths of a decent sized village stumbling behind me. This did not seem to worry my new friend Theo, a very likeable lad, who was in great spirits for he was hunting in God’s country and in his mind, retracing the footsteps of Hemmingway. Besides we finally lucked upon some fresh spoor. What possibly could be better?

Hours later, and with the wind in our faces, I felt that we might at last be getting a little closer. Here the craggy hills were barren but cool, the contours squashed into steep, seemingly vertical walls of rock. In the valleys, dense stands of bamboo grew and it was in one of these groves that the small herd of the Buffalo had rested. The tracks had indicated that the beasts were looking for a place to bed down and for the first time I could smell them. I turned and with my finger silenced Theo’s enthusiastic banter, for I sensed that we were close. The swishing tail of a large buffalo cow brought her into sharp focus, full frame alongside others who lay beyond the vegetation. I was angry with myself. If I’d had a half decent tracker to help me out and if I’d had my wits about me then we would not have been trapped in this crevasse with a dozen Petaukean’s urgently gesturing me to shoot the mother of all these Buffalo. It would be only a matter of seconds before she registered our presence so Theo was quickly placed into a position to shoot a bull if the opportunity presented itself. Maybe he did not hear or understand my request to wait and I was fully unprepared for the hell that let loose in that small ravine deep amongst the pretty hills of Petauke.

I distinctly remember two things; the wooden sound of splintering bamboo and the acrid smell of cordite. Other recollections were the complete absence of Theo and my team, and a feeling of foreboding. I had lost control of this situation and in a very unprofessional hunting like manner. Frantically I tried to seek out the animal that Theo had targeted and witnessed the herd effortlessly crashing up the steep rocky ledge, which as fate would have it, was the same ledge that moments before Theo had sought.

The clarity of the next sequence of events will forever be etched in my mind. As I clambered up the rocks to refrain my disturbed companion, he suddenly about turned, looked me desperately in the eyes, said something in Afrikaans that sounded like fuck that, and proceeded to execute the most perfect dive back into the depths of the stony valley. Closely followed by a thoroughly pissed off buffalo.

The silence that followed my shots was broken only by Theo’s painful sounds of anguish rising from the granite depths of the ravine. After some time the people from Petauke once again gathered and excitedly informed me that the white boy from South Africa had indeed killed his Mbo, with one shot. Mine had taken two.

Bleeding and with a broken foot, my man crawled himself into a slight depression amongst the debris of the bamboo. Admiring his ‘perfect eye shot’ buffalo he smoked a crumpled cigar that his father had given him for this very occasion. While reclining against his soft bossed bull he remarked ‘And that Andrew was the best day of my life’. I still reeling from the excitement of the charge could not agree more.

I had to leave Theo there because of his injuries and cut a road as close as I could get to him. He consumed a bottle of Brandy that night and we carried him out the following morning. Apart from his foot he was none the worse for wear.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a lion that had a thorn stuck in its paw. Wasn't that a Disney story?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I thought it was a lion that had a thorn stuck in its paw. Wasn't that a Disney story?

Will,

Fancy a bet?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal

one of us
posted Hide Post

Another big Kafue croc tken with Andrew Baldry

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
I removed the stick.

Good graphics. Can you stretch the croc to twenty feet?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Instagram - kafueroyal