THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Masailand Man-Eating Lion (Picture Added 8/20)

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Masailand Man-Eating Lion (Picture Added 8/20)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted
I think there was a post 2 weeks ago about a Lion in our Lobo area in Masailand that killed 3 children. One of our PH's was actually there right after the incident and starting hanging baits and telling the Masai that we would handle the Lion so that they would not start to poison everything around.

Brian van Blerk had just completed a successful Lion & Leopard hunt in Lolkisale and was picking up his next 21-day client and went into Lobo to try and see what type of Lion this would be. The lion had a very distinct track as the left paw was turn inwards maybe from an old break or something. Brian got the lion on bait and determined that it was a shooter of a lion, so the work began trying to out smart this lion. The lion would not stay on any particular bait and was walking 10-15 km every night. Brian tried to pin the lion down by putting baits in a circle within the territory it was walking every night. For 2 weeks this lion ran circles around them until today the 5th when it made his first mistake and taken at 9am. Brian said it is a beautiful manned lion and as soon as the client gets back from his safari will post the picture of this Lion. The Masai are very happy now and it goes a long way showing them to leave these situations to others.

Here is the picture of the Lion that killed 3 Masai children. Not a huge manned Lion, but a good average mane Lion with a great story behind it for the client. This turned out better for this lion to be hunted and taken by a hunter rather than being poisoned by the Masai! The client was Allen Tarpley and he ended up taking 20 animals on this safari in 16 days.

[URL=

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...501047311#3501047311

Here is the link to the story.

Adam,

Please extend my congratulations to Brian. Well done. I cannot believe 15 years have gone by since we first met in Zim.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9370 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Adam, thumb

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
Adam,

Thanks for sharing this success story. I'll be excited to see pictures of the big cat! DAN

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Wow! I feel horrible for the children and their families, but what an experience to hunt and take a genuine maneater and save the day!!!! The stuff of hunters dreams!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
See picture added today 8/30. This is the Lion that killed 3 children in in the Lobo area and we managed to keep the Masai from poisoning this Lion and for it to be hunted the right way with a client. A good outcome for everyone.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Without the hyphen in "man-eating" lion, I thought you were going to show us a picture of a Masailand man eating a lion!

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Well done and am glad you got the Masai to cooperate. I have enormous respect for their tribe as well as for Lions, of course.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
Now, THAT had to have been the adventure of a lifetime!

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a story and a great lion to boot!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tough looking lion.What did he weigh?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Wow!!! I'm not sure what more need to be said. Wow!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about some of you guys with contacts in SCI and DSC try to get some publicity for hunting out of this.

Here is a shining example of how hunters help not only nature but the rural people of Africa
Congratulations
Ian

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Clements:
See picture added today 8/30. This is the Lion that killed 3 children in in the Lobo area and we managed to keep the Masai from poisoning this Lion and for it to be hunted the right way with a client. A good outcome for everyone.

Adam:
All good and well when incidents like this happen between July & December and there just happens
to be a client booked on a hunt which includes Lion.

What would the outcome have been had there not been a client on standby and had it happened before
the hunting season opened?

Answer: What always happens - Poison.
Gone are the days of the Morani tracking the marauding lion down to prove their worth as men amongst men. Frowner

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adam Clements:
I think there was a post 2 weeks ago about a Lion in our Lobo area in Masailand that killed 3 children. One of our PH's was actually there right after the incident and starting hanging baits and telling the Masai that we would handle the Lion so that they would not start to poison everything around.

Brian van Blerk had just completed a successful Lion & Leopard hunt in Lolkisale and was picking up his next 21-day client and went into Lobo to try and see what type of Lion this would be. The lion had a very distinct track as the left paw was turn inwards maybe from an old break or something. Brian got the lion on bait and determined that it was a shooter of a lion, so the work began trying to out smart this lion. The lion would not stay on any particular bait and was walking 10-15 km every night. Brian tried to pin the lion down by putting baits in a circle within the territory it was walking every night. For 2 weeks this lion ran circles around them until today the 5th when it made his first mistake and taken at 9am. Brian said it is a beautiful manned lion and as soon as the client gets back from his safari will post the picture of this Lion. The Masai are very happy now and it goes a long way showing them to leave these situations to others.

Here is the picture of the Lion that killed 3 Masai children. Not a huge manned Lion, but a good average mane Lion with a great story behind it for the client. This turned out better for this lion to be hunted and taken by a hunter rather than being poisoned by the Masai! The client was Allen Tarpley and he ended up taking 20 animals on this safari in 16 days.

[URL=

Adam:

From the picture there appears nothing much wrong with its left paw; the entire limb for that matter also appears to be
pretty healthy and the animal's general condition suggests it hardly ever went hungry.

Given this cat's condition I would be more inclined to accept his dirty deed as a tribute to his instincts - he came
across these kids (as you know they allow their flocks to wander while they mess about); they ran like crazy as any normal
kid would have done and he followed his feline instincts (sadly so).

I have never heard of a man-eater in the Simanjiro District (always a first time I suppose) - just the marauders taking cows and
donkeys both at pasture and within the bomas.

Where man-eaters are concerned, the trend (but not the rule) is that the animal singles out a victim which once killed
is normally dragged away and devoured (if not in its entirety at least in part) - I have not heard of a man-eater behaving
like a genet cat in amongst the chickens.

Were these unfortunate kids really eaten or simply mauled and succumbed as a result of their injuries?

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Vlam - This hunt just so happened to filmed by Safari Classics and should be on a future Tracks Across Africa. I have not seen the footage but do know that Dave Fulson has the footage now and will find out how everything looks.

kibokolambogo - I do not have all of the facts of the incident, but what I do know is that when the livestock returned to the boma without the 3 children the morani went looking for them. They found all 3 children dead with two of them with fatal bite marks through the body and head. The 3rd child was not in one piece and most of the body missing. This is what was told to one of our PH's and can not tell you any other details than that. So, maybe we call this lion a child killer if you do not think man-eater fits the title. Either way the lion killed 3 children. As to your question about the front paw, I can only tell you what Brian the PH told me. He told me that the left front track had a specific odd right angle to it and it was easy to identify this lion simply from the tracks. As to why the lion looks healthy, that is because he had already eaten 2 full Buffalo & a Wildebeest that Brian fed him on baits before they got him.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adam
Thats great news, I am sure Dave will get the message across.

Just as a side note, there is a paper somewhere on the internet, which I found whilst researching the Tsavo man eaters just after the Ghost and the Darkness came out; which puts the idea of the man eater being an aged lion in poor condition to bed. The stats on record showed most man eaters to be predators of opportunity and most often just in more regular contact with people due to territory. The ones that become notorious seem to be the ones that initially go unnoticed and get "the taste", for what is a slow moving easy meal, lets face it, without a weapon a human is a pretty pathetic target in the animal kingdom.

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome cat, Adam, and I'm sure the locals were ectatic to have that man killer out of the area.

Helluva story to have go along with your trophy lion!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote