New
Find
Notify
Tools

Backup Scope for .375?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a backup scope for my M70 .375 which currently wears a 2.5 x 8. I have the same scope on a different rifle in the same QRW rings that I could use as a backup or I could just pickup another scope to keep as the dedicated spare. If I buy a new scope I am looking at the Leupold 3.5 x 10 which would serve backup duties for several other rifles as well and perhaps be a bit more versatile in that capacity. Would the 3.5 x 10 give me any advantage in light gathering (36 vs 40 mm objective) for a low light situation like a cat hunt or is it too much for the .375?
Thanks
Brian

Posts: 103 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking at a Leupold for low light situations you may want to get one with the Fire Dot. In some low light situations you may not be able to see the cross hairs very well.

The magnification is up to you. Good luck on your decision.

Posts: 815 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
For DG the 3.5-10 is pushing magnification a bit too high IMHO.
Mine has a 1.5-6 illuminated Kahles with a 1.5-5 Leupold as back up.
The 2.5-8 is probably best for your situation.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I did have a Leupold 3.5 X 10 on my current 375, but I just changed it out for the Swarovski Z6i 1.7 X 10. I shot a lot of plains and dangerous game with that scope on the 375. And,yes, it will work just fine on your 375. Big Grin My other 375 carries the Leupold 2.5X8.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Stick with the duplicate. (Same zero?)

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BC3

I personally like the 2.5x8 Leupold a lot on a 375 and have used it on two 375's. I think if your going to buy another scope you might want to consider an illuminated reticle. I bought a Trijicon 3x9 for my 375 WBY and have been extremely happy with it. It made the difference on whether I could of could not make my shot on my lion in '12. I 'm sure a standard reticle would have been invisible. I now have the 2.5x8 as my backup.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2.5x8 Leupold is my go to scope on three different .375s and one 9.3x74. Stay with it.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
may want to consider the leupold vx6 2-12, with illuminated reticle.great light gathering and goes down to 2 for DG. and could be used for many other uses

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
Stick with the duplicate.

+1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BC3:
I am looking for a backup scope for my M70 .375 which currently wears a 2.5 x 8. I have the same scope on a different rifle in the same QRW rings that I could use as a backup or I could just pickup another scope to keep as the dedicated spare. If I buy a new scope I am looking at the Leupold 3.5 x 10 which would serve backup duties for several other rifles as well and perhaps be a bit more versatile in that capacity. Would the 3.5 x 10 give me any advantage in light gathering (36 vs 40 mm objective) for a low light situation like a cat hunt or is it too much for the .375?
Thanks
Brian

How about a 1.75-6 Leupold on your 375? Then use the 2.5-8 as your backup, as well as your "all around" scope for your other needs?

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have the 2.5-8 on both my 375/404 rifles.

If you have to have a spare, I suggest you have the same one.

In fact, my suggestion is to forget the 3.5-10.

In my experience, it is the only Leupold model that we have had go wrong.

We have been using Leupold scopes for so many years, we have had several hundreds at least.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I originally had a 2.5-8 Leupold on a 375. I switched to a 2.5-8 Zeiss as the image was brighter. I set up the second scope in talley qd rings pre-zeroed. When traveling I kept that scope wrapped up and stored in a capped piece of PVC pipe.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
4# power S&B

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BC3:
Thanks
Brian

I own the exact same scope you are considering (Leupold Vari-X III in 3.5x10x40). In using it in low light conditions for hyenas I couldn't see squat even in full moon conditions

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Funny you should ask. My original 375 Model 70 had a 20 year old Leupold 1.75X6X32 VXIII. It has shot a buffalo at 25 yards and a kudu at over 350 at last light. But being the rifle kooks we all are, I decided it needed a new scope.
Like my friend UEG, I too have a Swaro Z6 as well as a Victory HT on other rifles that I use as a benchmark to judge all my other scopes. In my back yard I have my "leopard", a deer target made of foam sprayed with black splothces (I told you I was nuts) set in some bushes and trees at exactly sixty five yards. I order all my big game Leupolds with the Heavy Duplex as it affords me better definition in low light. Compared to the aformentioned Z6 and Victory I saw NO APPRECIABLE difference in target recognition and acquisition until pitch black night set in (no moon). Now if I place a chart with letters on it, the Euros are noticeably sharper (all set to 6X), but hell I shoot animals and not alphabets. Bottom line, for the money and what you get, Leupold's the way to go and the 1.75X6 is in my view ideal for a 375. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
Scope choice can obviously be rather personal and subjective. For me, I prefer having an identical second scope already sighted in and in QD mounts ready to go should the need arise.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post
I went with the Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10 X 50 on my recent trip - great scope i would wholeheartedly recommend. tu2

One of Us
Picture of cazador2
posted Hide Post
Stay with 2.5 . 8, sepcially for for close encounters.

In the lowest power (2.5) it starts to be focus at five steps from you.

The 3.5 - 10 in its lowest setting (3.5) stars focusing at 10 steps.

For this reason I switched the exactly same Leupolds combination after a safari in Africa.

In my experience the best option all the way is 2.5 - 8 X 36, it gathers more than enough light you probably are going to need.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
If I could describe the Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36 in one word it would be "Balance". It's light enough, bright enough, priced right and powerful enough to deliver in almost any useful big game hunting condition.

I personally have a Leica 2.5-10x42 #1 Ret. on my .375 H&H. A touch more power but at the cost of aesthetics and weight.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Last year we had two rifles, one with an old Leupold 2.5-8 and the other one had a band new Nightforce 2.5-10.

As the sun went down, we put the two rifles next to each other, and looked at everything we could find across the river from us with both scopes.

We could see better with the Leupold than the Nightforce.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Last year we had two rifles, one with an old Leupold 2.5-8 and the other one had a band new Nightforce 2.5-10.

As the sun went down, we put the two rifles next to each other, and looked at everything we could find across the river from us with both scopes.

NFs main claim to fame is that it can survive a Taliban bullet through the maintube..and keep right on working.... Big Grin

IIRC, both Leupold and NF get their ground glass components from Japan [I consider that a good thing.]

BY the way, was that 2.5-10x NF an earlier 24mm objective,..or.. later release model with 32mm or 40mm objective?

such obj. dia. variation can make a notable difference between the;.. available exit pupil, twilight factor and perceivable definition.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the 2.5 - 8 x 36 Leupold. Just bought another this week. Backup on my Africa stuff is a fixed 2.5 Leupold with Heavy Duplex. It is small and light. If I can't see something that is now 2 1/2 times larger then one of us needs to get closer to the other.
Mine is protected in the common gray foam insulation tube with blue painters tape securing it. No extra weight nor space hog in my travel kit. When in route I also have the gray foam tube over my barrel and the stock forearm. You can add a crutch tip over the end of the bbl. to protect the crown. Painters tape does not leave the residue that duct tape does. Most likely not anything else in your gun kit that is that color blue either, Easy to spot what you taped up.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see nothing wrong with a 3.5-10 x 40 for a back-up scope, but then again I have a couple of them mounted as main scopes on .375s. For general purpose use the 2.5-8 that you already have is fine too. The chances of actually needing the spare scope are slim.

The low light question is interesting. I have a 3-10 x 50 VXL3 with illuminated reticle that fits in low rings and makes a day and night difference in the dark. You probably won't break your main scope, but the night scope could make or break your hunt in certain specialized circumstances.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
I have a Zeiss 2 - 8 x 42 Duralyt illuminated as primary scope on my Mod 70 .375.

Backup scope is an elder Swaro 1,24 - 4 x 24 without illu.

A is sighted in for 270 grs Spitzer Bullets, B for 300 grs FN Solids.

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I did have a Leupold 3.5 X 10 on my current 375, but I just changed it out for the Swarovski Z6i 1.7 X 10.

My personal favorite "one scope", buy two of those and sell the Leupys. On the best "one rifle" too I see..... stir

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 350 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the excellent replies. I didn't make it clear in the original post but my reason for a backup scope was primarily to be prepared in the event of scope failure caused by damage. I hunted a fairly rocky area last year. One accidental tumble or slide could have damaged the scope and without a spare I would have been hosed. I appreciate all of the input.

Brian

Posts: 103 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are no Taliban where I hunt, so the Nightforce is not needed.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Double Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

NFs main claim to fame is that it can survive a Taliban bullet through the maintube..and keep right on working.... Big Grin

IIRC, both Leupold and NF get their ground glass components from Japan [I consider that a good thing.]

BY the way, was that 2.5-10x NF an earlier 24mm objective,..or.. later release model with 32mm or 40mm objective?

such obj. dia. variation can make a notable difference between the;.. available exit pupil, twilight factor and perceivable definition.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my .416, I've always had a 1.5x5 Leupold as my primary, with your favorite 2.5x8 as a backup. Both with QD mounts and both sighted in. The thought at first was always to change scopes after the buffalo were down, but that never happened. I still carry the 2.5x8 and have used it stateside, but it's never been on the rifle in Africa.

If you are happy with the scope, I'd get an identical one as a backup.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
On my .416, I've always had a 1.5x5 Leupold as my primary, with your favorite 2.5x8 as a backup. Both with QD mounts and both sighted in. The thought at first was always to change scopes after the buffalo were down, but that never happened. I still carry the 2.5x8 and have used it stateside, but it's never been on the rifle in Africa.

If you are happy with the scope, I'd get an identical one as a backup.

I've only got the one 1.5-5x Leupold in Talley QRs on my 500 Jeffery. Before I go to Africa, I plan to buy another one, put it in Talley QRs and have it sighted in as a spare, much like Lavaca. Then again I always have the iron sights which I practice with, but I'd have to get closer which isn't a bad thing...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
It would almost seem that Leupold designed the 2.5x8 expressly for the 375. I tried out the 1.75x6 on my last trip and it did fine, but I later replaced it with the 2.5x8 and just like it better. Plenty of eye relief . I have more than a few of the German scopes, but I generally prefer the Leupold over them. Hard to beat their warranty also.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote