Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling To Mozambique
 Login/Join

posted
I will be traveling for business to Mozambique for the next couple of weeks, what should I know about local customs, dos and don'ts? If everything goes well I will be relocating to Mozambique or RSA for an extended project.

Thanks,

T. W. Cornelison

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to Moz once. Travel was by small boat across a river with water splashing in. The locals were dirt poor. Local culture involved herding goats, drinking beer, slash and burn agriculture and running after the car.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TWC, Southern Moz has been recieving a good deal of investment from RSA in the last 10 years and Maputo has experience something of a revival. That siad, yes it a poor country and quite different to SA. It is also stunningly beautiful and the folks there are great. if you enjoy salt water game fishing or flyfishing, you will be in paradise!

Quite a few expats working there too.

The above post paints a very limited and dire picture of the a reality that certainly does exist but is not the overall picture. Hardly waht one would term a thorough description...

Great climate too if you like your weather warm.
Cheers

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TWC- Can you be more specific as to where in Moz? Both times I have been we chartered in from RSA. Our pilots were very observant of all customs requirements. After clearing we went on to camp. It seems they have a high "carbon paper" mentality when dealing with all thing goverment.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I went last year, flying via RSA then into Moz. then on to hunting camp via charter. Customs was pretty straight forward if no firearms were present. You can get you entry visa stamp in advance from the Moz. consulate in DC. With guns, you need all of your paper work as if going to RSA. Present everything for inspection & pay the license fee.
It is a beautiful country but poverty is huge, really like a 4th world country. The people I encountered were great, except for the charter guy, Portugese, he was one of those corrupt types that give foreign travel a bad name. Mad

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I will be going to Maputo next week to meet with Government Officals to kick off the construction of homes for Ministry of Education. Homes are to be built through out the country over the next several years. If everything goes as planned I will do alittle good for the world, make alittle money and go hunting.

T. W. Cornelison