Find
Notify
Tools

Nyala, what is a trophy?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted
So, what is considered a trophy for Nyala?

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 27" Nyala, taken while still hunting on foot, is up there in terms of a worthwhile trophy/hunt. 30" is like a 60" Kudu. Over 30" and you have won the lottery.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
A Trophy would be any Mature Animal that YOU like. As for measurements 24" Bronze 25.5" Silver 27" Gold Medal SCI depending on horn bases

Here is a Nice respectable 27" East Cape Nyala with a great Horn shape as a guide.

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Here are some before and after the shot photos of my bow killed 28 inch Nyala from Limpopo, 2011.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
This is my best nyala to date. He has as close to perfect to what is considered the classic bell shape with outward turned tips and good mass.

Same bull mounted:

IMHO this is what you should look for. The best are found in KwaZulu-Natal.

~Ann

Posts: 19554 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it is the one I work hard for and am proud of, no matter the size.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of donner
posted Hide Post
Wery happy with my Nyala of 27,5

and wery happy with thw taxidermy work....

My brother shot a 30+ inch monster nyala....

Any nyala over 25 is a good honest trophy if you ask me tu2

Rauma Hunting and Fishing Safaris
www.rauma-jakt-fiskesafari.no

Posts: 619 | Location: åndalsnes Norway | Registered: 05 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Mine is only 25" or so and was an old warrior. Worn down tips,no teeth, skinny and a great one to be taken. I am doing a life size and cannot wait to get him back. They are gorgeous and amazing.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Sadie with our best from Mozambique. We expected him to be much bigger but his horns did not turn back far before going up again.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13011 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

This is my Nyala from Coutada 11 in Mozambique. He was 28.5 x 27.5

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Good one D,

Coutada 11 does have some bruiser Nyala - that's were Craig Boddington goes to hunt for a big one. I took my largest there with Glen Haldane in 2003. Averaged more than 28" length and 8" base on each side.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ghost how'd ya get such good and close up picks?

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Those are awesome trophies posted! I agree that the one you hunt hard for is a trophy, but I also love the looks of these 27" and above!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here is the one I took last year in KZN with the help of Andrew Pringle of Crusader Safaris. full mount is on its way!!! They sure are a cool animal.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of leopards valley safaris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleJoe:
Mine is only 25" or so and was an old warrior. Worn down tips,no teeth, skinny and a great one to be taken. I am doing a life size and cannot wait to get him back. They are gorgeous and amazing.

tu2
Nothing wrong with your Nyala

Dave Davenport
Outfitters license HC22/2012EC
Pro Hunters license PH74/2012EC
www.leopardsvalley.co.za
dave@leopardsvalley.co.za
+27 42 24 61388
HUNT AFRICA WHILE YOU STILL CAN
Follow us on FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/#!/leopardsvalley.safaris

Posts: 980 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 06 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LittleJoe:

Posted here are some photos of magnificent nyala trophies.

But the description by LittleJoe makes his 25 incher my first choice! tu2 I really do not care how long his horns were in his prime, but he has worn them down to true trophy status! dancing

In the end it is the one you worked for and like!

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kingd:

I was hunting out of a hide on a waterhole, which is the best way to look over a number of animals and be selective with a bow. Let's not get into the "this is not hunting" discussion. Hunting out of a hide lets you get close bow shots at calm animals... so if someone does not like it, don't do it. I like it and it also allows you to get lots of photos of animals and birds, which I also enjoy.

I actually took those photos earlier in the day and shot the Nyala late in the afternoon when he returned. I was targeting some good Kudu that had been coming to this waterhole and passed up this Nyala and several other mature Nyala bulls waiting for the Kudu to come. Just before dark when the Kudu looked like a "no show" I told my PH that if this particular bull came back and presented a shot I would try to take him. Ten minutes later he strolled back in and I made a perfect 25 yard shot. I ended up taking a good Kudu a couple of days later on a spot & stalk rifle hunt.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lionhunter;

quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
Good one D,

Coutada 11 does have some bruiser Nyala - that's were Craig Boddington goes to hunt for a big one. I took my largest there with Glen Haldane in 2003. Averaged more than 28" length and 8" base on each side.

We saw many, many fine Nyala in Countada 11 with the Haldanes (I hunted with Craigh Hammon as PH--Zambezi Delta Safaris). I knew I wouldn't go home without one.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Can't remember the measurements on this one. But I do remember the hunt. Taken in 07 in the Limpopo region. Life size mount now sits in my "man cave"!

One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
Awesome pics chaps!
Thanks to all of you for sharing.

Best Regards
Marius Goosen

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1410 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ghostbird:
quote:
Originally posted by kingd:

I was hunting out of a hide on a waterhole, which is the best way to look over a number of animals and be selective with a bow. Let's not get into the "this is not hunting" discussion. Hunting out of a hide lets you get close bow shots at calm animals... so if someone does not like it, don't do it. I like it and it also allows you to get lots of photos of animals and birds, which I also enjoy.

I actually took those photos earlier in the day and shot the Nyala late in the afternoon when he returned. I was targeting some good Kudu that had been coming to this waterhole and passed up this Nyala and several other mature Nyala bulls waiting for the Kudu to come. Just before dark when the Kudu looked like a "no show" I told my PH that if this particular bull came back and presented a shot I would try to take him. Ten minutes later he strolled back in and I made a perfect 25 yard shot. I ended up taking a good Kudu a couple of days later on a spot & stalk rifle hunt.

Ghost:

Nothing wrong with sitting at a water hole, esp if you use a bow.

I think a lot of the negative comments about water holes comes from a certain TV personality who seems to milk show after show sitting at the same water hole shooting the same old plains game.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hallgeir Gravrok
posted Hide Post

This is my Nyala 27,5 hunted at Kwazulu

Posts: 78 | Location: Norway | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Good luck in Zim. Bound to be an easier hunt than chukars on the breaks of the Snake River. Say hello to Nixon for me.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is one that is 30" taken in KZN

Posts: 279 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom. I'm getting excited.

Any hunt that wears out my lab is a tough hunt. I think chukar along the Snake River Breaks is a poor man's sheep hunt!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the world record is 34" ... or was for a time. It was taken on the property adjoining the place we hunt in KZN.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrat. to all Nyala hunters, lots of excellent trophies. The Nyala is one of Africas finest trophies.

One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
One thing I heard mentioned in KZN was the lack of a "ginger forehead" as a sign of maturity.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any Nyala would a trophy to me.
They are very beautiful.

This is one I stalked close to with my bow.
I chose to take a picture at 15-20 meters instead of launching an arrow.

I didn't have the money for the trophy fee.
I have no idea if he is a mature animal or not.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The PH told me that a Nyala shold have a colour on the hide like dark grey/black very close to the colour of the asfalt they use on the road