THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Legendary Chuck Yeager on Namibian Safari

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Legendary Chuck Yeager on Namibian Safari
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Legendary Chuck Yeager on Namibian safari
By: JANA-MARI SMITH

BRIGADIER General Chuck Yeager, the first pilot ever to fly faster than the speed of sound, is on a hunting safari in Namibia.
Yesterday, a Hunter’s Namibia Safaris spokesperson confirmed that Yeager has been in Namibia for the past nine days, enjoying a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.
Yeager will host an informal get-together at the Klein Windhoek Guesthouse at 18h00 Windhoek tonight, giving admirers a chance to meet the legendary pilot. At 24 years of age, Yeager achieved worldwide fame when he was the first pilot to break the sound barrier in 1947.
The much-admired pilot, who according to reports is “unquestionably the most famous test pilot of all time” arrived in Namibia on October 1. He returns to the United States tomorrow.
Yeager’s most famous achievement took place on October 14 1947.
Only days after he is said to have cracked several ribs during a horseback riding accident, Yeager was chosen to test the rocket-powered X-1 plane.
At the time, “no one knew if a fixed-wing aircraft could fly faster than sound, or if a human pilot could survive the experience” a report on Yeager states.
Nevertheless, Yeager bravely agreed to do the flight and was written into the history books when he broke the sound barrier.
Yeager went on to accomplish more feats in his career, one of which includes a flight in 1952 where he managed to set a new air speed record of 2 656 kilometres per hour.
Yeager occupied a prominent position during the space race from 1956 onwards, when he commanded the Air Force Aerospace Research Pilots School, a training ground for potential pilots for the space programme.
Yeager came close to death on numerous occasions during his eventful career. It is reported that in 1963, during a flight on the experimental Lockheed Starfighter, during which Yeager reached speeds more than twice the speed of sound, the engine shut off and Yeager was forced to eject from the aircraft. During his escape, Yeager’s compression suit was set on fire. He survived but required extensive skin grafts for his burns.
A significant cap in his feather, is his Second World War experiences.
Yeager was shot down in 1943 over enemy territory in France. With the help of the French resistance, Yeager escaped across the Pyrenees to neutral Spain.
He rejoined the war effort and managed to complete 64 combat missions during the rest of the war.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9501 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
A true Hero! There aren't too many of those guys left and good that he's still out there doing what he loves.

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T man
posted Hide Post
I had the honor to meet Mr. Yeager once, he couldn't have been more kind. True American Legend.

I didn't go up there to die, I went up there to live.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I met him on numerous occasions while stationed in Germany. My NCOIC had worked for him previously. He would come by my office whenever he came through Ramstein and hide there and smoke cigars with Greg. (I don't think he was supposed to smoke.) He's a great guy with tons of stories to tell.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah he's a legend alright - always keen for a chat!!

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
An interesting man to say the least. I sat in many F-104 Starfighters as a boy. They and my Dad were stationed at McGhee Tyson AFB until they moved south to FL during the Cuban missle fiasco. I played with sidewinder casings and 50 cal belts. Wish I still had those toys Big Grin

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeager is a legend. That ejection from the F-104 aqlmost got him. The aircraft was in a flat spin and he stayed with it too long. His bail out oxygen system somehow caught fire. He had fire in his helmet. That was a near miraculous survival. The guy has more lives than a cat.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And in his 80's and still hunting. What a life that man has lived.

He survived a shoot down, bailout and then escaped and evaded back to friendly lines in WWII and then went on to fly multiple combat missions in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. A true fighter pilot.

If you ever get the chance to read his autobiography do it. He's survived some unreal stuff in airplanes and one in a helicopter it is simply mind boggling what that guys has been through.

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by keithv35:
A true Hero! There aren't too many of those guys left and good that he's still out there doing what he loves.

+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I met him at SCI convention several years ago. He did not know me from Adam, but visited like we were old friends. A true gentleman I will not soon forget.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
One of the nice benefits of membership in SCI and the NRA is that I had the privilege of meeting Gen. Yeager and Gen./Gov./Commissioner Joe Foss.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Great to hear that Gen. Yeager is still living life to the fullest.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
He is the real deal, a true American hero. Way to go General Yeager, in his 80's and still in there kickin.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
My impression of Yeager from our few meetings is that he is hyper-competitive and loves nothing more in life than the opportunity to one up the next guy. Be it flying, fishing, fornicating, or hunting, he is all about doing it just a bit better than the anyone else. I like him.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad that the General is doing well. I guess my buddies caught him on an off day in Reno several years ago. He was a real jerk.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.facebook.com/album....=328830532827&ref=mf

Some photos of the General in Namibia.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9501 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote