THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    bad luck with my binos... need help...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bad luck with my binos... need help...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had a bit of bad luck with my binoculars... I HAD three pair. Minox 8x42br - I think a teen age son put them with some other stuff in a garbage sack and they found their way to the landfill... but not sure. The 7x40 NVA zeiss were with us last deer hunt but never found them upon returning home... my dad found them this week with his 4 wheel drive tractor and farm machinery... He says they are totally ruined. Now I only have a 1985 pair of zeiss 8X32 jenna which are nice but i want some more low light glasses.

Now the issues... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! It will not be easy to scrape together a few hundred right now... but season is coming! scouting post haste! So I am thinking on trying the 8X42 Nikon Monarchs... or do you recomend something else... I CANNOT justify buying some $1000+ glasses at this time... nor with my receint track record want to!
They will be for hunting in Kansas, Namibia, and sight seeing in southern Africa.

What do you think!???

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you get hold of the new generation Lynx products. They are right up there with the swarovski stuff. I have a Nikon range finder that I am very happy with, but if you want to go with the Nikon then I suggest you first try the Canon Bino's. They are the best optics for the same money.
The 7 x 42 I think is only a few hundred.
Good luck
Ian

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Vortex Diamondbacks. I have a pair in 10x42, and they are a great glass for a couple of hundred bucks. They are available in 8x42 as well.

For the money, they are hard to beat.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I have a set of Nikon Monarch ATB's - I thought they were good until I was hunting in a Texas blind. I couldn't make out the detail on a critters antlers at dusk and had to pass on a shot. I was really shocked at it.

I've since bought a pair of Minox 8x42 HG's - the difference between the two are amazing. the Minox HG's ($500) are so much brighter and clearer - there's just no comparison. Reportedly the HG's use the same glass as the Zeiss Victory bino's.

Anyway, I was in the same position as you - didn't want to spend $1k+ for the top of the line stuff...but didn't want to settle for less. Minox works for my eyes...although they aren't as nice ergonomically for viewing through glasses (gotta hold them out a tad for eye relief).

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Zen binoculars. I read a number of reviews and decided to buy a pair. $400 for a 8 x 43. I don't know how they will stand up, but to my eye they are at least as bright as my Swaro EL and my son's Ziess FL

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, you can all dump on me for being a purist, but why, pray tell, do folks purchase binoculars in pairs. One binocular is all I carry at one time.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Pentax 8X43 DCF SP that I bought from Cameraland 3 months ago as a Demo Unit for $350.00. They look like they have never been handled. Very nice. Since then I acquired Swaro SLCs used from a forum member. I will sell the Pentax for $325 shipped. See Cameralands site for pics and specs.

Also, Cameraland (on Sept. 2) ran an add for demo Minox binos. See the Classified forum.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
That's how one set of Binoculars is referred to: As a pair of binoculars. Buy the Nikons.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I just had the chance to compare a Nikon, a Leica with a range finder, and a Zeiss with a range finder.

The zeiss seems to be the best.

It is the one I am taking to Tanzania later this month.

Will report on how it works.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66975 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, a binocular is a pair of monoculars. I know that "pair of binoculars" is common terminology, but it is inaccurate. (And this is ACCURATEreloading.)

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have bought several pairs of Swarovski's on EBay for under $500 per pair. These are like new 8x30's.

Posts: 10155 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
Now I only have a 1985 pair of zeiss 8X32 jenna which are nice but i want some more low light glasses.

Would you have any interest in trading your 8x32 for a Zeiss 7x50 Jenna in good condition?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!

JBrown... I don't know... I'll think about it.

Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Check out Brunton's, I have used them from Alaska to Zim and personally think they are great. All my guides and Ph's have thought they were very good too and they don't hurt the pocketbook as much as the high end boys do.
Wesley

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 10x40 Zeiss and Swarovski glass. Compared to those, my little 10x25 Nikon LX binoculars are phenomenal. I recommend them without any reservation. Cameraland has a demo pair for $329.00. New set for $449.00.
My 2¢,
Robert

Posts: 135 | Location: Canton, Ga. USA | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Contact Doug at Camera Land. He goes by gr8fuldoug here on AR. Their website is: www.cameralandny.com

He will do you right. I don't think you can go wrong with the Swarovski 8x30. I guide elk and deer hunters in Wyoming and hunt in Africa. If affordable, they'd be perfect for your trips.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
That's how one set of Binoculars is referred to: As a pair of binoculars. Buy the Nikons.

It's actually a pair of monoculars. The misnomer "a pair of binoculars" is in common usage, but it's incorrect.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I think the Zen-Ray ED's are right at $400.00

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
quote:

It's actually a pair of monoculars. The misnomer "a pair of binoculars" is in common usage, but it's incorrect.

Jetdriver

Thanks for setting us straight on that. I'll put that in the Claven file.
Big Grin

I'll buy you a drink at the next SCI show if you walk up to the Zeiss boot and ask them if you can take a look at their best "pair of monoculars".

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I use a 10 x 42 Nikon Monarch. I have also used the 8 x 42 Monarch and I am very happy with them.

I have used them at night sitting in a blind watching owls catch mice. It was a bright moon lit night and the moment I used the bino's it was as if the lights were switched on.

I have also used the bino's for scouting in mountainous area's and they are in my opinion really worth the money.

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
You're all wrong. This is a pair of monocles:

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might consider looking into Kahles. I have a pair and use them often. Have been told they use Swarovski glass and coatings. Is it the same parent company? They compare well to more expensive glass i use as well.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of madabula
posted Hide Post
In order to have a real Claven factoid in my repertoire I typed and spell checked the following;

A binocular, those binoculars, a pair of binocular, a set of binoculars, a pair of monoculars

A red line only appeared under; "monoculars". It seems the word police belive it shoud be a pair of "monocular".

I would assume a set of binoculars woud be along the lines each one 10 x 40 and one each 15 x 50 and my preference would be in Swarovski's though I suppose a set does not need to be "bi" at all so throw in one each 8 x 32!

All that aside I lost several sets of cheap (er) bino's before purhasing my Swarovski 10 x 42's. Something about the money but I think more so about the quality have made these easy to hang on to! I didn't know what I was missing!

Best regards

Mike O

Posts: 290 | Location: louisville ky | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually use a monocular a lot, it's good, it's real easy to use with little movement. And it's easier to hide one lens.

Seriously good cheap prices on all sorts of binos, just order from a proper site.
Ive heard of bootlegs and I have seen a bootleg Leupold scope that was bought on line.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of these Kahles in 8x42 and they are phenomenal, better than my Swarovski binos.

You cannot beat this glass and they are a steal at $399

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ka8xlihnbicl.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SNAP! those Kahles are a good deal... I ordered some BD8.5X42BR aspherical lens minox today for $250. I already had minox and loved them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After you decide on what you are looking for check out www.riflescopes.com. You can really get some good deals on some of their products.

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
quote:

Jetdriver

Thanks for setting us straight on that. I'll put that in the Claven file.
Big Grin

I'll buy you a drink at the next SCI show if you walk up to the Zeiss boot and ask them if you can take a look at their best "pair of monoculars".

Wish I was going. I'd take you up on that.

Hell of it is, I lost the vision in my right eye over 40 years ago, and one of the first things I discovered is that a quality monocular is difficult if not impossible to find. Or was, the last time I looked, many years ago.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
[
Hell of it is, I lost the vision in my right eye over 40 years ago, and one of the first things I discovered is that a quality monocular is difficult if not impossible to find. Or was, the last time I looked, many years ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your eye. Have you tried the Zeiss MiniQuick monocular?

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM me and I will send you an email from an outfitter friend that just put up a nice pair of binos he has for sale. Forget the details but I can send you his email and you can contact him.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, I purchaced a Minox BD8.5X42BR aspherical from Doug at Cameraland. I emailed him on his day off, friday, not expecting to hear from him until monday. He called my cell and told me about these and their promo price for them at $250. I had some of the old Bd8x42br that were not aspherical that I loved so I thought these at this price will be hard to beat. Thanks again everyone.