THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Who's NOT going to Africa this year?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's NOT going to Africa this year?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sold my business at the end of 2011 and started a new one this year. Just have no time.
Am putting together a quick hunt to take advantage of the scimitar situation and putting in for points on the western draws but that's it.

Really, really want to get back to Africa and explore new areas.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Priorities, priorities!!!!

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I'm out this year. I've got taxidermy bills coming in from the last couple of years I've got to take care of.

I will be hunting Hawaii again though, and the typical hunts here in Colorado and Oklahoma.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fishing this year. Probably next year too.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not.......I'm an every other year type.

But 2013 is booked for trophy Elephant!!!!! I can't stand the wait!!!!!!!!

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No current plans to hunt Africa this year. But you never know what kind of deal may pop up.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The bloom came off the rose a long time ago for me; I haven't hunted Africa since 2001.

There was just too much chicanery for my tastes.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I am just too damned poor and I have some taxidermy and shipping bills coming from last year. That said, I might get some African fishing in this year. I still want to pull a big Nile Perch out of Lake Nasser!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I still have a taxidermy bill from last year and Wifezilla gets her choice for vacation this year.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been the last the years in a row.
Spunt all my $$$$$$$$.
Hopefully if the American voters give us a different Pres. my businesses will improve, then I may make a celebration hunt in 2013.
Vote ABBO!!!!

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Me, unfortunately Frowner

Bought a house and 40 acres and won't be going until I sell the house I'm in.....

Only the second year I've missed since 2005.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going... but not for hunting... Likely Liberia.

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not until 2013.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Me neither. Starting a new practice in Muskogee, but I'm an employee instead of being solo. Hopefully will be able to go in 2013 or 2014.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not me! I just got home 3 hours ago after rotator cuff surgery. Is that a kick in the nuts?

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Not going to Africa this year or next. Frowner But will be hunting Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, and maybe one or two other places.
Next year (2013), will be hunting in Australia. dancing
2014 will be back to Africa for buffalo! tu2

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't go last year and I won't be going this year.
I need to keep focusing on my true love of mountain hunting while I can still limp up the mountain. I did four hunts last year and I've got three mountain hunts this year from late Sept. through early December. I just can't justify squeezing in Africa this year.

Posts: 443 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been told by my employer not to make any non-refundable vacation plans in until 2014 due to multiple union contracts ending and possible strikes occurring. But, I hope to put down a deposit for a trophy tusker hunt in 2014 next year....unless our current "ruler" get re-elected.

Posts: 135 | Location: Canton, Ga. USA | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I suppose I'm really lucky. I ran out of health and money several years ago at the same time and it solved my problem of going to Africa every year. Now I don't even have to consider making a decision. Makes life a lot simpler not having all those pesky decisions like ,where to go,what to hunt,what rifle to use,who to hunt with. Although those were never problems for me as i always went to the same country ,Zimbabwe,Hunted with the same outfitter,Bushman Safaris,and really didn't particularly care WHAT I hunted. Now choosing the right rifles to take ,now there was a problem. But it's all solved now. I feel sorry for all you guys with all those decisions.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not in 2012, but Tanzania/South Africa in 2013 and Mozambique again in 2014. If those trips go well, I'll keep going until dead. AIU

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
After going in 08, 09, 10, and 11 I may miss 2012. I am already booked for 2013.

But then a late season buffalo or tuskless hunt may be in order for 12.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's Wyoming for hunting & Jamaica for vacation this year, elephant in Namibia next year, & British Columbia for moose & caribou in 2014. That's my immediate future. BUT, I gotta do a leopard by 2015 ...... Heck, as old as I am, I probably should be checking out nursing homes for 2015 instead of planning hunts that far off.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still a year or so before I can save enough to go and break my African Cherry Smiler

Posts: 40 | Location: British Columbia.... | Registered: 05 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Staying in NA this year.Spring bear in mt and canada.Quebec for caribou and kodaik island for deer.

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
The bloom came off the rose a long time ago for me; I haven't hunted Africa since 2001.

George
We all have to choose our own path, but I feel a but disappointed for you whenever I read a post of yours saying that you won't go back because of your poor past experiences.

There are a lot of really great outfits that so their best to provide great hunts and never resort to chicanery.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Rust:
I am going... but not for hunting... Likely Liberia.

That will be interesting! I believe there is still some hunting there.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping for a hunt in 2013 for my 60th birthday.

Aaron, just curious, but what draws you to Liberia? Professional obligation?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16633 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Me, oh so sorry, I live here. Well at least no air-fares. Cool

Quote-Bill/Oregon; [I'm hoping for a hunt in 2013] for my 60th birthday.

Don't rush, it is not all what it is cracked up to be. [60th that is]

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love Africa's people more than life itself. I have an opportunity to help a missionary rebuild bible schools that were destroyed by the war. If I can garner enough money I'll take a team of guys and money to help rebuild. This year is likely a fact finding mission unless I find enough money to go big this year. Next year I hope to take nothing less then $20K. This will get it started. It will be a several year project. We will build the metal structures uprights and roofs and then the Africans will do the floors and walls. This way it is "theirs" and they have some sweat equity into the project.
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lde:
Sold my business at the end of 2011 and started a new one this year. Just have no time.
Am putting together a quick hunt to take advantage of the scimitar situation and putting in for points on the western draws but that's it.

Really, really want to get back to Africa and explore new areas.

"Who's not going to Africa this year?"
Looks like it's you and me for sure!

One of my reasons is American Airlines bankruptcy maybe effecting my income,retirement, and medical coverage, among other things! I've also been thinking about the Simitar horned Oryx and O'bannon's Asian water buffalo down in the swamps of Florida, as a cheaper alternative.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
I am a pilot for American Airlines. Do I need to say anything more? Frowner

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I AM going just wanted to add another post to the string! Big Grin BOOM

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
Well I AM going just wanted to add another post to the string! Big Grin BOOM

Gotta keep going on the Tiny 64???? :-)

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me Frowner

Posts: 210 | Location: Misplaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 21 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am a pilot for American Airlines. Do I need to say anything more? Frowner

I feel your pain brother I went through it with UAL. Hang in there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

George

I can relate my friend. It only takes one bad one to sour the whole deal. I am having a really hard time convincing myself that I want to go back as well.

One of Us
Picture of almostacowboy
posted Hide Post
This is my last few months of being gainfully employed then I'll be living on a fixed income. Since I didn't get really interested in Africa until 2004 and in retirement until about 20 years ago, I didn't plan well enough for either. Now, add 4 years of Obama-nomics and................ Frowner

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."
-Thomas Paine, "American Crisis"

Posts: 816 | Location: Llano, CA Mojave Desert | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ratwhiskers:
Me Frowner

+1 again. Glad we went when we could x 3

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I will miss it again this year. Elk, deer, bear, prairiedogs, birds and fishing will all help ease the pain though. Wink

Posts: 52 | Location: North Idaho | Registered: 05 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
Scotland this year for Red Stag. Then Zimbabwe in 2013 for Eland, Croc, Hyena and some other plainsgame.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 706 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote