THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Prime leopard areas and PH's that specialize in baited hunts

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prime leopard areas and PH's that specialize in baited hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Having hunted leopard in Zambia last year (Luangwa Valley) I wanted to get a cross-section of opinion, given the experience on this forum, what one would consider the prime area(s) for baited leopard hunts in Africa today. Also, any PH's who, in your opinion, have a particular passion, expertise in this area.

Posts: 172 | Location: Jackson, New Jersey | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wayne williamson, wayne Grant, andy hunter, Wayne Bartlett to name a few. Anywhere in Matebeleland south.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
If money is an important(ish) criteria the areas Ganyana has mentioned are very good indeed. There's plenty of good sized Leopard in those areas and they're not so educated as to be particularly difficult to get to bait. Also I'd add the name John Sharp to his list.

Botswana, esp the Tuli Block, also produces some very good sized Leopards but the problem with Botswana is areas are bing closed, (this won't affect Tuli Block) and quotas are being constantly reduced. (this will, or at least might affect Tuli Block).

If it's a case of money no object, then there's no better place than some parts of Tanzania. Prices are obscene but the Leopards are mucking fassive and close to the size of a Lioness.

You'll find a pic of a Tuli Leopard at the bottom of the page here: http://www.shakariconnection.c...unting-mr-spots.html

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Wayne Bartlett has long history of sucessful baited hunts. Of course I'm biased as he is a long time personal friend.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Tuli block for lots of big leopard. I haven't hunted them there, but I go to to a horse safari on Mashatu and see Mr. Spots on a regular basis.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
PH John Hunt of Georgia Safaris has taken over 100 leopard. The story of my big cat taken with John was just featured in African Hunter Magazine. Also, John Sharp is another PH. Both hunt Matebeleland South near Gwanda and West Nicholson. John Hunt is a good friend of Wayne Grant. I am sure that John Sharp and Wayne are also friends as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My first choice is always the Luangwa valley of Zambia and John Du Plooy/Muchinga Adventures is one of the very best for a classic baited hunt in daylight. Historically if you shoot well you will get a good tom. You should expect to have multiple toms feeding. The bio mass along the river is thick with impala, puku, warthog etc making lots of cat food therefore small leopard territories and a lot of leopard.

My second choice would be the Save Valley Conservancy in Zimbabwe with Mokore Safaris/ Barrie Duckworth. Here you should expect 90% success on big toms of 130-180+ pounds. The shooting is mostly at night but the camping out near the bait and sleeping on the ground in the open is an adventure in itself.

Masailand is a great choice also for leopard and the success rates can be over 90% but the hunting of them there requires a 21 day license so a leopard safari become quite spendy. It is a better deal as part of a dedicated lion of elephant safari.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Wayne Bartlertt last year for leopard, the hunt was real hard, but we finally got the leopard....i would have no reservations about recommendubg him.....he has got 88 or 89 leopard now, so that speaks for it self...got an e mail from him a fortnight ago and he got another one in the SAVE
Daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I accompanied a friend on the second half of his leopard hunt in Chewore North last year with Andy Hunter.

Great area for leopard, had leopards feeding in several trees the entire time. He shot a great leopard on about the 10th day at 3:00 in the afternoon. Will go number 56 in the SCI book!

Andy knows the area like the back of his hand and is an expert and enthusiastic leopard hunter.

Best of luck!
Brett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of great leopard hunters and lots of great areas . . . the secret is to put the two together. I personally prefer daylight baiting, and that generally means fairly wild country, usually earlier in the season when prey is scattered and it isn't too hot: In no particular order: Tanzania, Zambia, Botswana (if there is any quota, shaky right now), Zimbabwe's Zambezi Valley, remote corners of Namibia (like Bushmanland). But the biggest leopards will generally come from ranch country, and usually can't be baited in daylight.

Posts: 265 | Location: central california | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am no expert but I have hunt leopard in Zim twice and Tan. twice. no luck.
I finally took mine with Alister Norton in Zambia
Languwa valley. Never seen the seen the like of leopard there. Could have shot one on the first night. My cat est. weight 155 lbs.
If I had one time to go I would go there.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
DU DIAMOND SPONSOR IN PERPETUITY
DALLAS SAFARI CLUB LIFE MEMBER
SCI FOUNDATION MEMBER

Posts: 1366 | Location: SPARTANBURG SOUTH CAROLINA | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Zambia is going to get the nod for the best. Luangwa Valley. There are different areas where you can combine it with Sable or Roan and Buffalo is almost always available on that hunt.

Botswana, track Leoaprd with Bushman trackers. Also an excellent success hunt with an extremely high probability of a charge.

Of course, the best do not come cheap, each of these are $30k to $35k before you shoot much else on license.

Cheapest, baited Leopard hunt with highest success in Namibia. right at $14k with trophy fee. Dang near 100% opportunity last year with this particular operator.

There are some excellent hunts in Zim too in the "under $20k" catagory.

There are lots of Leopard options.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
Acceptable Leopard hunting can be found in more convenient places, but I was more than a little impressed with the Niassa Reserve in Northern Mozambique --

I hunted there several months ago on The Calitz concession (Area L2) and there were Leopards literally everywhere! The area is something over 1.5 million acres and Sable Camp usually hosts just 3-4 hunting groups per year, putting zero strain on any of the animal populations and less on the Leopards.

I took a magnificent Leopard there, but spent considerable effort trying to harvest a true monster -- one so large that he didn't like to climb trees and really didn't have to! His footprints were comparable to those of a Lion. We never maneuvered the wise old guy into a polition for a shot and he's still there for the taking if someone's smart enough and patient enough to make it happen for him.

I hunted with two PH's -- Vlam Myburg of Madubula Safari's and Dave Lincoln of Johann Calitz Safaris -- both very competent and either one will find a big Leopard for you. (I needed two of them at the same time because I'm only in my 60's and it takes two young PH's to keep up on a month long hunt LOL)

Northern Mozambique isn't cheap, of course, but it's still one of the rare locations where one can still hunt East Africa in much the same way that the grand masters hunted East Africa -- and it's a Leopard hunting paradise.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
The Stanton's of Mbalabala have a good reputation for big Leopard from the south of Zim but lights are often required for these Ranch Cats.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just back today from the Bubye in Zim with John Sharp. On the way into camp what crosses our vehicle but Mr. Spots, mature and marked already by John's tracker. Certainly recommend John and this area.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote