THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Where do you sit in the Land Cruiser?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do you sit in the Land Cruiser?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do you sit in the front or in the back of the Cruiser with the trackers?
I've always sat in the front.I don't know if I missed anything by not sitting in the back.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
I like sitting on the back with the trackers. You can see a whole lot more on the back and the trackers spot everything that you would not see sitting in the front.

Also I sit in a car all the time back home so sitting on the back is great.

Also whilst working in Zimbabwe I had to sit the back so got used to it.

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 697 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sitting in the back offers you the privilege of getting a suntan and close encounters with everything else nature has to provide and whether you sit in the back or the front still makes you no match with the trackers when it comes to spotting game.

Posts: 1936 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Back.

Driver and game scout in the front.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67462 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted Hide Post
100% in the back!

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 872 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back, I’m in Africa to see and feel it all Besides some PH smoke in the cab
Joe

Posts: 109 | Location: Nunavut CANADA | Registered: 21 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
All depends upon the type of hunt. Plains game and I'm in the back. If hunting Elephant or Buff where you're basically looking for tracks to follow I sit in the front.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2318 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends if there are Tsetse flies.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to chat with the PH.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe-S:
Joe

What about the flip-side of the coin? Is the PH permitted to bitch when the client ignites a fat cigar first thing in the morning? coffee

Posts: 1936 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Wherever I want.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends upon the situation.

When slowly driving through an area with huntable game, I like to be in the back, provided the weather is not too hot or too cold.

When traveling at speed (going from one water hole to the next, to check for tracks, or going from one hunting area to another), I set in front with the PH.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

In the business class section dancing

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2288 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
In the back. And nearly every time, the PH sits back there as well, with one of the skinners driving

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
whether you sit in the back or the front still makes you no match with the trackers when it comes to spotting game.

Amen to that.
No matter how well focused I was I could still never spot game before the trackers did.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
For the first time on any of my safaris, I had the PH in the back with me this year for the entire hunt.

I asked why he didn't drive? He replied that he couldn't see game as well from the cab... makes sense, I thought.

What about the driver? Wasn't he worried about the driver tearing up the truck?

He explained that the driver was paid only a very small salary throughout the season, but that he received a large bonus at the end of the season... assuming no damage was done to the truck. "At-fault" repairs or damage to the vehicle were taken from this balloon payment at the end.

Pretty good system.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it's a closed cabin truck I'll sit in the back.

But my mate Mike has an open vehicle with no doors and the front is the place to be, bull shit with him and you can bail out real quick.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
On my ass

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A safari for me is also business so I sit wherever the PH sits so we can talk and I can learn as much about the area as possible.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12923 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back, the PH is almost always there as well.

Posts: 2648 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://imgur.com/xFoZUnW

This is my favorite place. But I'll ride up front some too.

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Almost every PH I have hunted with has a driver so he( and I) can sit on the back.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13241 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulvio:
quote:
Originally posted by Joe-S:
Joe

What about the flip-side of the coin? Is the PH permitted to bitch when the client ignites a fat cigar first thing in the morning? coffee

No!

Just kidding, if the PH smokes in the cab then I'll smoke an occasional cigar. If the PH doesn't smoke then I only smoke outside and downwind of him. Even sitting around the campfire at night, I take the downwind side when I'm smoking cigars.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Front.
I can get out of the front and to business faster than from the back, jumping over the bars or cage and having my rifle handed to me. Plus it's warmer on the cold mornings and out of the sun and/or rain.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
When I'd forgot a soft gun case for the rack/carrier and the tracker was back at the skinning shed for the morning, I rode inside holding the unloaded rifle, leaning it against the dash when opening gates. Remember to stay inside for that when the tracker returns -- he may run into the opening door trying to resume his role at the gates. It's embarrassing!

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back of the cruiser, front in the taxi.

Posts: 1079 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always in the back although the Golden Orb spiders can be a morning challenge. Lots of fun with the trackers dodging them, however.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eny:
Back of the cruiser, front in the taxi.

Uber drivers like you in the front but US taxi drivers hate it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Back, the PH is almost always there as well.

^^^^^^
This, and the only thing that I smoke is Jerky

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdwest
posted Hide Post
I prefer the back. You can see more.. and I enjoy getting occasional pointers from the PH and Tracker that are back there with me..

Posts: 65 | Location: DFW | Registered: 01 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting- I have a driver Eddie for when we have walked and the driver comes and picks us up. I nearly always drive and my clients nearly always sit in the front.

Reason being for me anyway is that
1/ We never shoot from the vehicle
2/ We get enough sun tracking so a break in the front is great
3/ Even if you are doing lots of driving like on a cat hunt you won't believe how jaded you feel after a full day bouncing around on the back getting sun and wind burned at the same time. It takes its toll. Defiantly front for me!! ( unless I am hiding from an obnoxious client then I am where the client is not!!!!)

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will typically be wherever the PH is. I’d say 95% of the time in front.

As Buzz pointed out, you don’t shoot from the car, so it really doesn’t cause issues. The only times I’ve been in back have been when either someone else had more need of a good seat (injuries) or (in my first SA hunt) we were expected to shoot from the truck.

I’ve kind of noticed that when I’m in back with the trackers they are all so concerned about proper behavior that the normal chatting doesn’t happen. Not sure if this is a throwback behavior or what...they are more than happy to talk to me, just don’t talk amongst themselves like they do when you’re in the cab... even I can hear it, so it’s not a matter of being concerned about being overheard, just some kind of politeness thing... and I like happy camps, so I’d rather not disrupt the guys.

Posts: 10793 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the hunt. If plains game hunting the PH has always been in the back with me trying to spot game to stalk in on. For dangerous game the PH drove while the tracker in the back looked for sign in and along the road.

Posts: 159 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PH and I stand in the back unless we are making a long run to get somewhere (e.g., cat blind), it's dark, or sometimes in the heat of the day.

Posts: 10132 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
100% in the back if not driving

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always in the back!

Posts: 1091 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wait. Y'all had cars?

Posts: 112 | Registered: 12 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the small things that helped make my elephant hunt, was that I was in the back with the trackers, and as we were driving to a waterhole, late in the afternoon, I was the first to spot a big bull standing in a field a couple of hundred yards away.

I instinctively tapped the top of the truck as soon as I saw the ivory, and the PH got out, glassed the bull and said "Load up, this is a nice bull".

The bull's ivory was just under 60 lbs a side, and this was when 35-40 lbs a side was considered a nice trophy.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I will typically be wherever the PH is. I’d say 95% of the time in front.

As Buzz pointed out, you don’t shoot from the car, so it really doesn’t cause issues. The only times I’ve been in back have been when either someone else had more need of a good seat (injuries) or (in my first SA hunt) we were expected to shoot from the truck.

I’ve kind of noticed that when I’m in back with the trackers they are all so concerned about proper behavior that the normal chatting doesn’t happen. Not sure if this is a throwback behavior or what...they are more than happy to talk to me, just don’t talk amongst themselves like they do when you’re in the cab... even I can hear it, so it’s not a matter of being concerned about being overheard, just some kind of politeness thing... and I like happy camps, so I’d rather not disrupt the guys.

Pretty much sums up my thinking also.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I typically sit with the PH and in my experience, they’re usually driving so I’m up-front. Occasionally, I’ll sit with the trackers but I’m usually wherever my PH is.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote