Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Heart Shot
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
OK...been living and hunting in the Great State of Texas my whole life. The first time I ever heard of the so-called Texas heart shot was when I went to Africa the first time.

Probably been discussed before...but who coined this phrase or how did it get its origin???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36808 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Lane: No insult intended here, but it seems that most of us have heard this phrase all of our lives. I grew up in the Intermountain West and first heard it as a very young boy 55+ years ago. What's up with you, a Texan, never having heard it? I figured that it was coined by Texans to take the possible embarrassment and edge off of an "up the bum", going away, last chance, "Hail Mary" shot, and to make it all sound very logical and reasonable. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know where it came from, but in Africa I have also heard it called the "Portuguese heart shot."

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . because Texans have hearts as big as their bums?

Mike

Posts: 21359 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...because to Texans the heart and bum is the same thing? Big Grin

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
No idea how it came about but I have shot whitetails and african game using using the shot. Walking away is nothing more than an outstanding opportunity to make a well place shot!

It is interesting that some hunters will not take this shot when presented.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took it once on a caribou with a 130gr silvertip from my 270 Steyr Mannlicher.The bou dropped in its tracks(It was still standing from the first shot-that is why I switched to 300wm).

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I propose we stop calling it a "Texas heart shot" and start referring to it as a "Shootaway brain shot."

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
animal

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
I propose we stop calling it a "Texas heart shot" and start referring to it as a "Shootaway brain shot."

One of the best posts I've seen here in a long time. Possibly the best ever!

lol

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, we could call it the Double Rifle Shot, cuz once it's past 40 yards, you have as good a chance hitting him there as anywhere else :-) :-) :-)

Posts: 20124 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Lane: No insult intended here, but it seems that most of us have heard this phrase all of our lives. I grew up in the Intermountain West and first heard it as a very young boy 55+ years ago. What's up with you, a Texan, never having heard it? I figured that it was coined by Texans to take the possible embarrassment and edge off of an "up the bum", going away, last chance, "Hail Mary" shot, and to make it all sound very logical and reasonable. Big Grin

Don't know. I grew in a ranching family that carried rifles almost every day of our lives.

Started shooting when I was 6. Got my first rifle (a Win 9422) of my own to carry when I was 9. Hunted all over Texas and most of the West. Never heard of it until I went to Africa.

Might be because my Dad would have whooped my ass if I had of shot something up the ass as a kid. He made me shoot deer in the neck.

Anyway...just curious who coined the phrase.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36808 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Ledvm,
There is a time and place for just about everything and faced with the choice between losing game and making a going away "Texas Heart Shot" I finally learned to make the shot.

In fact, my first and maybe only opportunity at a big bull elk last year was at the butt of a rapidly departing animal, which I took with a shot from my .338 Win Mag.at 110 yards. It did require a follow up finisher through the heart, but take a look at this picture and tell me if on the last day of a week long hunt you would have let this critter trot over the ridge:

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Alberta what you call a cattle gate is called a Texas Gate.
No reason. Go digger!

Posts: 227 | Location: Calgary, Canada | Registered: 06 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote from 24hour campfire on the same subject

"It's because it's fun to tease Texans, and they deserve every bit of it."

Posts: 73 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 10 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I read the term "Texas heart shot" at least 15 years ago(maybe O'Connor, or Boddington). I repeated it to my hunting buddies and they got a kick out of it. None of them had heard the term before.

I always thought it had to do with Texans' "git'er done" attitude....

Wikipedia: Texas Heart Shot

Article: THS

The more I think about it I believe it might have been Capstick. IIRC, his description was something like: "Shooting at the South end of a North bound animal.... The ole 'Texas heart shot'".

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:

..................................................................... tu2 jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am not doubting its effectiveness in the right situation. Or, criticizing anyone for using it. I was just curious who coined the term or where it came from. Certainly not prevalently spoken or executed in Texas.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Certainly not prevalently spoken or executed in Texas.

Although branding is very important. I would predict with Lee's rebranding of the shot as noted above, that the shot is likely to experience a surge in growth and popularity in Texas. Sometimes it is the little things -- like a name -- that matter most.

Mike

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DAL:
Here in Alberta what you call a cattle gate is called a Texas Gate.
No reason. Go digger!

Dal, if you are talking about what I think you are, in Texas it is not called a gate, but a cattle guard. This a set of welded steel pipes that cross an opening in the fence with about a seven inch between them so cattle can't walk across them to get out of a pasture, but a car or truck can drive across them without having to get out and open a swinging GATE. This type of cattle guard was first used in TEXAS for the very large ranches with many pastures.

The first place I ever heard the phrase "Texas Heart Shot" was in Colorado and was meant as a derogatory term pointed at Texas hunters.

Actually the phrase should be "African Heart Shot" because it is used there more than any place I've hunted, with good reason, because it works on large escaping animals especially elephant!

...................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Better than "Alabama Eye Shot".

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard that phrase my whole life growing up around ranchers on the coast of California. I’ve always joked that in Texas it’s probably called the “California heart shot”.

It’s sure not ideal and they’re not much fun to clean... but with the proper projectile it works really well. I’ve had many clients pull it off where not an ounce of meat was lost. That shot may be encouraged more in Africa because the trackers are so darn good even if the shot is messed up they’ll still usually find the animal.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have it on good authority from some Texans I know, that using the THS phrase while in Texas is not recommended!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always heard it called this (Texas Heart Shot), and it was always somewhat derogatorily used. Of course, I am about as far as it is possible to get from Texas in the lower 48, I think it was a regionalism.

What the old timers around here were implying was though it works, it showed no pride in what you were doing- that you took the easy way out. I suspect that this has been going on since Civil War days, and is yet another example of regionalistic prejudice.

Posts: 10738 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can assure you, the term is not complimentary here in Texas. Of course I have only been hunting, attending hunting shows, and hanging around hunters for a bit more than 45 years. And the only time I ever heard the term "Texas heart shot" used was in Africa. I am fairly articulate and read a lot. I did not take it as a compliment. In my opinion, it simply showed the lack of respect the owner and PH had for me the client in Africa.

Posts: 36 | Location: Texas & New Mexico | Registered: 01 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Please don't take offence, but for rough-and-tumble cowboys, some of you Texans sure are sensitive!
Wink

I had better not mention one of my favorite sayings, for fear that I might be on the receiving end of some West Texas justice... Screw it! I just laugh every time I say(with my best cowboy drawl), "Ain't noting come from Texas but steers and queers!"
rotflmo

Sorry guys, that saying just kills me. I guess I find it funny on 4 levels:
1) It just rolls of the tongue.
2) It is not at all true.
3) It always gets a chuckle.
4) I know it pisses Texans off(even though it is completely absurd).

You guys shouldn't get upset. Every hunter world wide, and every patriotic American admires your great state. And I have noticed that white PHs in Africa who discuss immigrating to the US talk about Texas more than all other states combined.
patriot beer

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoss12:

quote:
Originally posted by Hoss12:
I did not take it as a compliment. In my opinion, it simply showed the lack of respect the owner and PH had for me the client in Africa.

Would it have mellowed your opinion had you been told to "bust its ass" or score a "hole in one"?

The "Texas heart shot" has been around for as long as I can remember (haven't a clue who started it or why) but to the best of my knowledge is not used by PHs or outfitters with any derogatory intent - that is simply your personal biased opinion.

One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Often known in RSA as a "Freestate heart shot" but if the PH had said that, would you have known what he was talking about?

Suffice to say if I hear "XYZ heart shot" nowadays, I know that the speaker probably isn't associated with XYZ and wants me to shoot whatever it is in the ring.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a Texan shoots a cape buffalo squarely through the heart with a 300 NPT/.375 H&H, would that be called a Texas Heart Shot?

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Please don't take offence, but for rough-and-tumble cowboys, some of you Texans sure are sensitive!
Wink

I had better not mention one of my favorite sayings, for fear that I might be on the receiving end of some West Texas justice... Screw it! I just laugh every time I say(with my best cowboy drawl), "Ain't noting come from Texas but steers and queers!"
rotflmo

Sorry guys, that saying just kills me. I guess I find it funny on 4 levels:
1) It just rolls of the tongue.
2) It is not at all true.
3) It always gets a chuckle.
4) I know it pisses Texans off(even though it is completely absurd).

You guys shouldn't get upset. Every hunter world wide, and every patriotic American admires your great state. And I have noticed that white PHs in Africa who discuss immigrating to the US talk about Texas more than all other states combined.
patriot beer

We use that phrase in Texas too. But in Texas we know that "Texas" means UT (or "tu" for us Ags...gig'em).

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Wow, if someone feels that it is a derogatory phrase or can find offense or be upset over the use of phrase Texas heart shot it is time for chill pill. Roll Eyes

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Wow, if someone feels that it is a derogatory phrase or can find offense or be upset over the use of phrase Texas heart shot it is time for chill pill. Roll Eyes

Agreed...I am just curious as to the origin of the phrase.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Lane, your question is actually an interesting one, I was just surprised by some of the commentary suggesting that it was derogatory or something to get upset over.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know the origin of the phrase and I never gave much thought to whether it would be upsetting to some but I do know it is a very effactive shot that I have used to great effect on more than one ocassion.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12912 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve always joked that in Texas it’s probably called the “California heart shot”.

No, here we call it the "Oklahoma brain shot".

California is only referenced if the shot hits the genitals.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a big male baboon last year , from behind, while he was bent over drinking water. The bullet entered its scrotum and exited between the shoulder blades. I deemed it " The Jersey Heart Shot" . I was born in NJ, but not by choice!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a life long resident and hunter. My first buck was shot the November following the Cuban missle crisis. I never heard that term used anywhere until about 15 years ago in a magazine.
A co-worker from Colorado once told me that Texas hunters were really hated by the locals so I kind of assumed that was where the term originated.

quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Agreed...I am just curious as to the origin of the phrase.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have shot cape buffalo smack in the middle of the tail just below the root, and he dropped straight in his tracks.

I have shot several buffalo in rear end when that was the only chance I had of shooting them.

The thing to bear in mind is that you should be using a bullet that does penetrate very deep, and can reach the chest cavity.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67290 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
My Grandfather referred to that shot as the Texas brain shot. I didn't know that he was all that familiar with many Texans.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope this helps! Smiler
In hunting, a Texas heart shot is a shot fired at the base of the tail of an animal facing directly away from the shooter. Executed correctly only a handful of times in known history, most recently by Utah resident Sean Collins, the texas heart shot is widely considered the pinnacle of archery perfection, and the ultimate accomplishment in the hunting realm. Lauded in medieval times as the mark of a true king, and viewed as a spiritual state of being in ancient Anasazi lore, those able to accomplish a true texas heart shot were considered gods among men. Ancient apocrypha mark the accomplishment of such a shot as the spark to Achilles rise to battlefield fame and glory. The term is euphemistic argot. The objective of such a shot done in crude manner may be to break the spinal cord, break the large bones of the hips, cut the femoral artery, or have the arrow penetrate the length of the animal's body until reaching the heart and lung area. Done correctly, the arrow penetrates the rectovesical excavation and penetrates unhindered all the way until the animals heart, resulting in a perfect, nearly bloodless kill.

The shot carries many ethical concerns. It is frowned upon by many hunters; it is generally recommended only as a last resort finishing shot on a fleeing wounded animal. A shot that breaks the spine or hip should instantly kill or incapacitate an animal; however, damage to the digestive tract will likely lead to inhumane suffering and affect much of the animal's edible meat if it is recovered.

The term "Texas heart shot" may be used in other contexts simply to refer to any gunshot wound to the buttocks region.

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote