THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Paper on PHASA's stand on captive bred Lion hunting
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paper on PHASA's stand on captive bred Lion hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daghaboy:
Can a captive bred lion ever fend for itself?!

There are a number of side issues related to that question but the short answer is: Yes it can. Hence the wilding periods being discussed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A "wilding" period of 7 days is BS considering 'Ginger' has been hand fed dead, plucked chickens and haunches of game meat all of his penned life!

In those years of confinement these lions don't even know what a Kudu or Zebra is, let alone how to catch it.

Lionesses are the real hunters/providers of a pride and a full grown solitary male wouldn't stand much of a chance in securing a regular meal on his own; he might if he had a couple of his brothers to help out but seeing we are discussing canned cats, this particular one has been singled out as the "lucky" one for some video footage and he's going to go hungry until the film crew shows up (poor sod).

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The short wilding period is actually a good illustration of my earlier comment about conflicts of interest.

Unfortunately, that's what happens when a large percentage of members have a conflict of interests & the breeder's association interests take precedence over those of the Professional Hunters & outfitters.

That alone must indicate that a significant percentage of members are happy to continue to market & shoot captive bred lions.......... which doesn't exactly reflect well on them or the organisation.

Guess I'd better laager the wagons now because I KNOW that I'm gonna get shit for pointing that out!

sofa sofa sofa

jumping