Find
Notify
Tools

Big 4 in 3 Days!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted
Thought that this post was special enough to share as it is not very common for a hunter to take the Big 4 in just 3 days. Hunting is hunting and everyone knows that success does not always go as we want, but then sometimes everything comes together and you may have incredible success. Such is the case with one of our clients (Dr. John Waldrop) who just returned from Tanzania. I will post the pictures below as they were taken in the first 3 days. Brian van Blerk was the PH for this safari, and as usual performed his great abilities.

First morning Buffalo 44"
[URL=

First afternoon Buffalo 45"
[URL=

Second day in the morning
[URL=

Second day in the evening
[URL=

Third Day in the morning (don't know exact weight yet, but will be 60+ pounds)
[URL=

Dr. Waldrop went on to hunt and take another Buffalo that went 44" and some of the Plains Game and left on day 10. He is booking again to take his son and we look forward to having him again.

Merry Christmas to you all and look forward to seeing some of you at the shows. I do not check AR on a regular basis, but can be reached by e-mail.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
3 days and a hundred thousand dollars later....

Some nice critters.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I don't know how he'll ever top that. He ought to just out and out quit. Big Grin I hope that he isn't disappointed on the second trip, if things don't turn out as spectacular.

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I would have thought that near impossible. Congratluations to all.

Was the lion and leopard pre-baited?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In all honesty, everyone is to be congratulated on some very fine animals....and they truly are....but.....I like spending time in the bush pursuing them, so taking them all that quick would probably be a bit of a let down for me.
I don't know if that makes sense to anyone...but it does to me.
But, like I said....those are some excellent trophies and the PH and hunter are to be given congrats on an outstanding effort.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THAT'S A MAN IN A HURRY. shocker

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's an accomplishment. The buffalo are absolutely awesome, and the elephant and leopard look very nice. I guess if it were me and I had 14 or 21 days on that safari, I would have passed on that lion on day two. That being said, congratualtions on a very successful hunt.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Not three days. No way.

There had to be a great deal of pre-hunt work involved in this effort, including the pre-hunt shooting, hanging and checking of cat baits and pre-hunt scouting for buffalo and elephant as well.

Still, this kind of success is extraordinary - and I congratulate the hunting team and the hunter on taking some terrific specimens.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
UEG, Thats why it is called hunting and every safari is different with a different experience. Are you ready for Mexico clap

Gary, I am 100% with you about enjoying the bush and that is what a safari is all about.

This post was simply just to show the other extreme of hunting and how successful some hunters can be at times. It also shows that when you do choose to hunt in a good area with a great PH and outfit what can happen. This same client has been on many other hunts with a lot less success, so he understands what hunting is all about and it really comes down to the adventure and the experience of each and every safari.

mrlexma, Leopard was already on bait from previous client, Lion hit the bait first night and they heard the Lions roaring in the direction of the bait as it was not far from camp and when they walked into bait he was there. Elephant and Buffalo just normal hunting and encounter. For sure this is rare and why I posted it. The best I have done in my career is the Big 4 in 6 days.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Adam: Actually my very first Safari to Africa was like that. Now, I'm expecting that same success with my upcoming Sonora, Mexico desert mule deer hunt booked through you and Mark Young for next month. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Just don't shoot all the big ones while you're there this month. clap

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
We will try to leave you something very big for your hunt for sure. Smiler Just checked down there and they are seeing some great Mule Deer, but you will be there when the rut is stronger, so you should do very well. I am going with Josh Beckett (Red Sox Pitcher)and he wants one of the 30" Deer, so we shall see how lady luck falls. Will let you know when I get back.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In all honesty, everyone is to be congratulated on some very fine animals....and they truly are....but.....I like spending time in the bush pursuing them, so taking them all that quick would probably be a bit of a let down for me.
I don't know if that makes sense to anyone...but it does to me.

Makes perfect sense to me, Gary.

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
It took me from 1998-Elephant, until 2004-Lion to complete my Big 5. During that period I took safari at least once per year and mostly x2, except for 2002 when my daughter got married in Maui. I wasn't hunting Big 5 each of those safaris, but Leopard took more than one and so did Lion. The Lion was taken on the 32 day of dedicated Lion hunting - 21 in the Selous and finally got him on day 11 in the Luangwa Valley of Zambia. And yeah, I was starting to get worried, as we were due to fly out to the Bangweulu Swamp on day 14.

As to the good Doctors trophies, nobody passes on Buff or Ele in those sizes and, given my own experience with the cats, I wouldn't have passed on either of them. So congratulations to the Doc, his PH and trackers and Adam, well done.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
congrats Doc... the red Gods shined on you and all the planets must have been in line... thumb

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, those buffalo are awesome! That first one is my favorit! Exactly what I would love to chase some day. Congrats to that lucky SOB. If it were my safari, i wouldn't have passed on any of them.

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Where in Tanzania was he hunting?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam,

I heard about the lion and the leopard on the same day, but wow - what a hunt!

Congratulation's to all!

Looks like Brian still has the "mojo" working.

Really like those buffalo.

Mike

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its just great when everything comes together. Not luck involved ussually, either, just the same old "preperation meets opportunity = success" but some will always call it luck.

Here, congrats to the preperation of the PH and the client and their success in capitalizing on their opportunities!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
I smell CANNED hunting rotflmo so it is possible.

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:

Not in Tanzania mate. Wink

That hunter must have the luck of the devil, but you can bet your life it was a fair chase hunt. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:
Originally posted by 375 fanatic:

Not in Tanzania mate. Wink

That hunter must have the luck of the devil, but you can bet your life it was a fair chase hunt. Smiler

That is normally the reply when some one does it so quick LOL just chirping

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr Waldrop has hunted with a good friend of mine on numerous occasions; he is a veteran of many, many african safaris and from what i know he is the type of hunter that deserves every bit of success that he enjoyed on this hunt. In modern day Africa you cannot get much better than that. Well done

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted Hide Post
its not every safari that goes like that , but when they do , grab it with both hands ...excellent trophies , excellent areas and excellent PHing ...thats no mistake , its astute area choice, managementn and management from safari trackers ...well done to all

work hard enough and sooner or later you get a break ...

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the red gods smile... great trophies. A brace of buff in the mid-40's, a brace of big cats the next day and an ellie as the cherry on top. In a dozen trips to Africa over the last fourteen years, I still haven't taken a buff as large as the good Doctor's small one. My leopard came on day six and my elephant bull on the last day of a ten day hunt after 120 kilometers of tracking... I bet the Doc was smiling all the way home on the plane! And I would have shot everyone of them as I came across 'em. You can't put good trophies like that in your hip pocket and save them for later!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Anyone who has anything to say negative about Dr. Waldrops safari seriously needs to look at their motivation for those comments. Implying that cost somehow makes this safari less impressive or that this safari was somehow a set up just sounds like sour grapes to me.

I shot a very big sable and a huge Livingstone's eland in 2 days last year. I did the research and had some excellent luck. Would my expereince have been more worthy of praise if I had shot these animals on the last day of safari?

I agree that I too would have stayed for the full duration of the safari but I have not done 15 full bag safaris either as the Dr. has. He had the full experience he paid for and went home very satisfied. His choice.

Finally saying you might not have shot that lion if you had lots of time is complete lunacy as fully mature and full maned lions are not common and not shooting this one would have been just plain stupid.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shot a very big sable and a huge Livingstone's eland in 2 days last year. I did the research and had some excellent luck. Would my expereince have been more worthy of praise if I had shot these animals on the last day of safari?
ABSOLUTELY!!! You should have told them to wait at least a week before releasing them! Big Grin

Seriously Mark, I didn't interpret anything posted above to constitute "sour grapes". All very supportive, with a few mentions of personal preferences. Some like running water, some don't. Chill, it's Christmas! Smiler

Congrat's to the good Doctor and Brian! Thanks for posting Adam, and I hope you and your beautiful wife have a great holiday season! Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW Eeker Never mind that he managed to shoot such fantastic trophies in a few days! I just wish my bank account was as good as that or my bank manager that willing so i could try and do the same clap Guess i will have to keep dreaming.well done on such beautiful trophies beer

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! Congrads to all. My mouth is watering. That's a dream safari for sure. Life would be kind of anti-climactic after that. I'm assuming this was in Lobo or Lolkisale?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Finally saying you might not have shot that lion if you had lots of time is complete lunacy as fully mature and full maned lions are not common and not shooting this one would have been just plain stupid.

Mark,
I beg to "politely" disagree with your above statement. In this day and age, probably more than ever, being sure to take the "right" lion is even more important to the future of lion hunting. The definition of "right" should always include "aged" (i.e. past mature or 6 yrs old or more). This is not my opinion but that of scientists and researchers the continent over. beer

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'll second BwanaMich's comment and also add that as well as age being a factor, another should be whether the cat is holding a pride or not and if so, whether they have dependent young in that pride.

Shooting the wrong Lion, is like dropping a stone into a pool of water and the ripples can go a looooong way.

I'll also say that BwanaMich probably knows more about Lions and has access to more information about the species than anyone else on this site. thumb

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Adam,
the Doc got some wonderfill trophies,thanks for posting the pictures.
Matt

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That hunter must have the luck of the devil, but you can bet your life it was a fair chase hunt.

Amen Steve!

I'm impressed!

Great Job Doc, et al! thumb

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic trip! Congrats!

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Brian some time ago in Zim and he isn't one to hang around camp and waste time.

We'd come back to camp for lunch and while I was relaxing and watching the crocs in the Zambezi he was punching a heavy bag he had hanging outside his tent --- of course it could also have been related to the fact that he was just recently married at the time and he needed an outlet for his excess energy.

Super PH --- t's nice when the good guys continue to prosper.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just returned 30 days ago,hunted with Brian...first class,great PH..trust me the Lion was not with a pride,and he is awesome!!!What a great hunt and what a great Safari Co.Thanks for the great trip my wife and I had, looking forward to seeing you in Dallas......Butch

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbogobutch:
Just returned 30 days ago,hunted with Brian...first class,great PH..trust me the Lion was not with a pride,and he is awesome!!!What a great hunt and what a great Safari Co.Thanks for the great trip my wife and I had, looking forward to seeing you in Dallas......Butch

Any more photos for us???

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OZ will try to get some pics posted,never done it before,thanks Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oz

Check out the hunting report fourm. Just figured out how to post pics.

quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:
Originally posted by mbogobutch:

Any more photos for us???