THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    30-06 220 grain solids for African dangerous game

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 220 grain solids for African dangerous game
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've heard the 220 grain solids from the .30-06 Springfield have been used in the past for dangerous game animals such as elephant or buffalo. Is this something that would be considered a stunt or perhaps practical in a pinch? I'm just curious and do not plan on "trying this at home" as they say.

Thanks,

jfm

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I under stand it is relatively common among those still culling elephants.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
common? no. mike LaGrange used garands with A square ammo for culling cows and calves. Rule of thumb for the culling teams- when you had shot 500 ele you could use a rifle under 9,3 if you wished. I have used a .308 twice. Difficult circumstances and I got away with it- would never do so by choice.

Have guided a kid onto a tuskless armed with a 30-06. he made a perfect side brain shot at 25m and it all went according to script. It can be done but you are limiting yourself and there is a very good chance that the ph will end up shooting your ele.

Buffalo- no ways.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
There's a guy who works for Mpumalanga Game Dept and has to deal with problem animals who tells me he chooses to use a 300 WM for all his control work, including elephant. - I wouldn't recommend it to most people though. His wealth of experience might make it possible, but very few people have that degree of experience.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerard from G S CUSTOM told me a ph useing his 165 gn proj in a 300 win mag shot an elephant with a frontal brain shot...end of story
Daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
Gerard from G S CUSTOM told me a ph useing his 165 gn proj in a 300 win mag shot an elephant with a frontal brain shot...end of story
Daniel

End of what story?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bell did it with a 276 Rigby! So what does that prove?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Ganyana, I hear through the grapevine that Mike LaGrange is supposed to be culling hippos in the Luangwa. Any idea of what he uses for jobs like that?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ganyana:
common? no. mike LaGrange used garands with A square ammo for culling cows and calves. Rule of thumb for the culling teams- when you had shot 500 ele you could use a rifle under 9,3 if you wished. I have used a .308 twice. Difficult circumstances and I got away with it- would never do so by choice.

Have guided a kid onto a tuskless armed with a 30-06. he made a perfect side brain shot at 25m and it all went according to script. It can be done but you are limiting yourself and there is a very good chance that the ph will end up shooting your ele. Buffalo- no ways.

Ganyana. Have been trying to e-mail you and Jacqui with all failing. Let me know by PM if there is a better address. Thanks.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'd feel pretty well armed, for anything needing a solid, with a .30-06 loaded with 220 grain solids.

But it would be far from my first choice for that kind of work.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mikes still using 30-06

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
And the elephant poachers using the 303 British. Certainly is do-able.

As long as you have adequate penetration to the brain, big deal. But if LaGrange screws up and misses the brain, does he have to pay a trophy fee?

Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

As long as you have adequate penetration to the brain, big deal. But if LaGrange screws up and misses the brain, does he have to pay a trophy fee?

Smiler

Nope Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
.... But if LaGrange screws up and misses the brain, does he have to pay a trophy fee?

Smiler

Perhaps HE becomes the trophy fee Eeker

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote