THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Moz Leopard Imports Halted by USF&W? **ITS RELEASED!!**
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moz Leopard Imports Halted by USF&W? **ITS RELEASED!!**
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BEGNO: DOJ, I clearly agree with you, and presently have a set of tusks sitting in Zim that I got in June, and I don't intend to apply for a Cites permit for several months, until the PH tells me that my stuff is nearing completion
Bengo, I'm not sure anybody commented on this in the "posts" that follow, or if I am misinterpreting your post, but you will not need an import permit for your ivory. Your PH will have already acquired a permit on his end, but for importation there is nothing needed. Per the Federal Fish and Wildlife Permit Application Form as referenced above: African elephant (Loxodonta africana) Quantity: _____ (Import permit is not required for trophies harvested in Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, or Zimbabwe). Note: once imported, ivory can not be re-exported.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason for the point I'm making is that if the hunter doesn't apply beforehand, he lays himself open to the possibility of being affected by any changes that might occur at short notice and thereby affect his import.

At the end of the day, it's not a problem to apply beforehand anyway, so why not do it right in the first place?

Sure, it might cost a few extra dollars if you don't shoot your leopard, but by not doing so, it just might cost you your trophy........

Steve,

I could not agree more on your above statements and that is what my advise is to clients. What you seem to be saying though is that getting your CITES import permit after the leopard has been shot is somehow illegal which it definitely is not.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
Jack,

The comment that seems to have upset you was tongue in cheek, (hence the graemlin) so don't get out of your pram.

Jack, Mark & other naysayers,

There most certainly is a requirement that the hunter obtains his CITES import permit before he hunts his leopard and it's that permit that begins the paper trail. Admittedly a lot of people don't bother and admittedly a lot of CITES offices don't know the regulations themselves so don't comment on the fact that an application is late......... however, the point is that the correct way to do it is to obtain that permit first. If anyone has told you otherwise, they're wrong.

That rule applies to every country that's a signatory to the CITES agreement and if you don't believe me, then I suggest you contact your local CITES/F&WS office or look on the websites to check.

Unfortunately the application forms are very confusing because the same form applies to new and old trophies and also live animals and trophies and that might well add to a lot of the common misunderstanding on this matter. Someone asked why the form in one place asks when the animal was shot..... That refers to old trophies that might need to moved for some reason. For example, some years ago, I had to move a tiger skin that had been shot in the 1940s (if I remember correctly) and in that instance, I had to fill in that particular box and incidentally also provide documentary proof of when it was shot.

Mark,

If you're telling your clients they don't have to to obtain their import permit prior to taking the animal, then you're (albeit unwittingly) misleading them on something that could technically, cost them their trophy.

Stop to think about it for a moment and consider if it would be correct for someone to shoot an animal in that CITES schedule when they don't have a CITES permit pre issued to permit it. Even with animals of that catagory that are shot and will remain in the same country, a taxidermist won't accept the trophy without the permit as by doing so, he can be prosecuted.

Incidentally, it should be noted that the permits time expire and it's the permit holders responsibility to ensure that he renews it before the expiration date.

Where Mozambique and the USA is concerned, one needs to be especially careful to dot the Is and cross the Ts simply because USF$WS got the needle with Moz (which is another story completely) just prior to the ivory ban first coming in and they've never forgotten it. Roll Eyes

Of course, it could well be that there are also other issues at play here but it doesn't alter the fact that the correct way to get the CITES paper trail going is to start it at the beginning and according to their rules....... it'll also make it faster in the long run.

ADDED,

It might help if I explain why it's done like this.

CITES set and issue the quota for every (signatory) country and they work on the principle that the paper trail for permitting begins with the individual where the trophy will end up.

The hunter obtains the import permit from his local CITES ofice, in the case of the USA, it's the USF$WS that usually handles CITES matters, then gives a copy or at least the number on that permit to the outfitter who then uses it to obtain the export permit etc from whoever handles the CITES permits in the country the animal is hunted in. Sometimes that's the local GD and sometimes the local CITES office and the trail then continues onto CITES. The point is that the export permit can't be issued until after the import permit has been issued and if you wait until the cat has been shot and only apply when you go home afterwards, that logically means a longer delay in getting the export permit issued.

It also just might make the difference in getting a permit at all in the case of a country changing its policy in the interim period OR of CITES deciding to recatagorise the species completely OR suddenly cut the quota for a given country.

(IMO) CITES are a bunch of clowns but there's no getting away from the fact that they're a very powerful bunch of clowns.

Jack,

If your PH and import agent told you you were not required to obtain your import permit beforehand they WERE WRONG.

I'm not being a blowhard at all. If you doubt my qualifications to comment, you'll find plenty on my two websites. I've been in the safari business for a great many years and have learned a heck of a lot in that time.

All I'm trying to do is ensure people get it right so they don't later get stuffed up because they did something wrong!

Steve: 100% thumb thumb

Posts: 307 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mark,

You also need to re-read my posts and I suggest you pay especial attention to the link to the USF$WS site I posted where it says the hunter should apply for the import permit 60 days before he/she leaves home and take a copy with him to give to his outfitter so he can start the process of obtaining the export permit. The relevent info is mostly on the second page of the document. Incidentally, there's also nothing on that document that says you may apply after your hunt. Just that you need to apply at least 60 days before you leave home. Frankly, I don't think that statement could be much clearer.

I didn't use the word illegal, I said that the hunter is supposed to apply for the permit before the hunt and not after. Fuller details of how the application process should be conducted, including the fact that the application is supposed to be done beforehand, can (if you have the patience to find it!) be found on the CITES website but it's a bugger to troll through, so I wish you luck. I found it a while ago when we were building the shakariconnection website, so I know it's there somewhere.

I also said that a lot of people don't bother to apply beforehand and they get away with it because most CITES staff don't understand the CITES (Note CITES) regulations. However the correct way to do it is to apply beforehand so that the application can start the paper trail that is essential to the shipment. Hell, I even explained that applying after the fact, will slow down the shipment and in the event of some bugger moving the goalposts, could possibly even result in the trophy not being shipped at all.

When the application is made and assuming it's granted the local office will either issue an import licence immediately OR will issue a letter of intent to issue a licence at the appropriate time, but the difference between the two documents is nothing more than a splitting of the finest of hairs. The point is that the application has been made and approved and the resulting document is what has to be handed to the outfitter, so that he can obtain the export licence.

Frankly, I don't give a flying fuck what other people do or what agents and operators tell their clients. It won't make any difference to me at all. We advise our clients to and how to do it correctly. I just made the point because I don't like to see forum members being given duff advice that could slow down the shipping process at best and result in a trophy destroyed at worst.

As I also said, in the case in hand, it could well be that there are other factors at work here as well, simply because it's Mozambique and the USF&WS have been charry about the country since they tried to pull a dodgy stunt just before the ivory ban came in. (As I also said, that's a whole different story)

Kibokolambogo,

Thanks for the support! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I have no desire to be in a pissing contest with you but when you post misleading information on this website your going to get spanked. I've had a red butt more than a couple of times when I wrote something that I thought was correct but was not.

I guess all we can do is for you to tell your clients they have to get their permits before the hunt which I agree is not a bad idea. I'll advise my clients to also get the permit before the hunt but I'll also tell them they can apply for the permit after the fact even though I do not recommend it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mark,

It's not me that's posting misleading information bwana.

I suggest you read the USF&WS link I posted earlier that says in the 2nd page, 1st column 3rd para, and I quote:

'Apply for a permit at least 60 days before your departure date'

It goes on to say in the 2nd page, 2nd column item 1, and again, I quote:

'A copy of the import permit, if Appenix-I trophies, will need to be provided by the
person who applies for the export permit'.

It also goes on to say in the 2nd page, 2nd column item 3, and yet again, I quote:

'You may want to take a copy of your permit when you leave on safari as some outfitters require a client to show that an import permit has been issued before scheduling the hunt. Leave the original permit at home as you will
need to present it at the time the trophy
is imported into the United States'

Those to me are all perfectly straightforward statements from the USF&WS themselves and as I see it, not at all misleading. Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Shakari,

I think the confusion is the fact that it is very easy to get a leopard permit after the hunt in the US and that is the way it is often done.

I got two last year after the hunt and had no problems whatsoever.

You may be right in the way you read the rules but as long as you can do it both ways I am guessing people still will.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
BigB,

I've repeatedly said that as well....... but it don't make it right and it does make it much more likely to cause problems if someone moves the goalposts in the interim period..... and I've also said that before as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it seems that it is prudent to get your permit in advance; at least we do; even though we have bought two and been unsuccessful both times. we just do not consider that a fee of, what, $100.00 for an unused permit, is worth worrying about loosing the trophy and its attendant trophy fees. We deal with the Federal Government every day and at times it can be surrealistic at best. I mean the regs may allow something, but, you have to deal with petty bureaucrat whom can make your life tedious. Why take the chance?

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brooks Carmichael:
It is not U.S. customs but USFWS that enforces the cities regulations in concert with U.S. endangered species act. Customs will not clear importation of shipments of wildlife or parts there of until USFWS inspection office clears the shipment. I will disagree with you, Steve respectfully. I do not know where you got your information from. But, your are incorrect when you say you have to get the permit prior. Each country has its own rules on enforcing cities. For example cities allows you to export cheetah's from Namibia. You can import them into to just about any country in the world except U.S. USFWS will not allow you to import them into the U.S. because of the United States endangered species act.

Steve, yes it might have been prudent for Jack to apply for his permit prior to going to Mozamibque, but that is his choice.

I worked with and for USFWS for 34 years so I believe I know what I am talking about. To make sure, the rules had not changed. I contacted a good friend who is Special Agent in Charge with USFWS enforcement. And He said I am correct.

Now that being said, If Mozambique requires a cities permit prior to hunting the leopard that is different. But, USFWS does not.

THanks Brooks! thumb

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
WooHooo!!!

Christmas came early in So Cal. In the mail today was a beautiful thing from the USF&W. A CITIES import permit for my Moz Leopard.

It seems Moz had to file a "detrimental finding for the sport hunting of leopard", which was received by CITIES last month. The USF&W blessed the report, and are issuing import permits. Halleluya!!

Now we begin the process of getting the big fella home where he belongs.

OK, one more photo -

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very glad to hear it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Jack Good for you. Glad it will work out for you.Sure is a huge cat. Good luck in Zim

Posts: 761 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

That is wonderful news. US,F&W did something right. Must have been a mistake.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that getting a cities permit in advance is a no brainer.

Sure it costs $100. or so but it covers you if the rules change and in africa the rules always change. Not only that but you are dealing with several other govt. agencies in at least two countries and their interpretation of a very complex set of internationally crafted documents. Good luck with all that!

Even tho it was not originally conceived in that vein, the usf&w is as dangerous to the future of hunting as the atf.

So, a prudent person buys a cities up front and renews it if necessary.

Adrian,

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Parham:
Seems to me that getting a cities permit in advance is a no brainer.

Sure it costs $100. or so but it covers you if the rules change and in africa the rules always change. Not only that but you are dealing with several other govt. agencies in at least two countries and their interpretation of a very complex set of internationally crafted documents. Good luck with all that!

Even tho it was not originally conceived in that vein, the usf&w is as dangerous to the future of hunting as the atf.

So, a prudent person buys a cities up front and renews it if necessary.

Adrian,

AP,

I agree with you 100%. a hundred bucks is NOTHING when compared to the cat hunt.

This post was never about whether to have one in hand before the hunt, but rather that the US was not issuing any 2009 permits from Moz until last week.

Usually these hunts are booked well in advance, ours was. So even if the permit was applied for 2 months in advance of the hunt, it would still not be issued.

The choice hunters would make at that point is to proceed with the hunt, and hope things work out, or cancel their hunt. Neither are comfortable choices.

Another thing to bring up is that 100% sure the USF&W will issue permits after the animal is down, regardless of what the so called "expert" claimed in earlier posts.

The lesson learned is that Moz has great cat hunting, but the paper trail can and is very frustrating. That needs to be factored in when deciding the hunting destination.

So far, so good for our cats. The export agent is now in the process of getting the export permits. With a little luck, Tom will be in the hands of my taxidermist (for sure not Hurds in CO moon) within 2 months.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers!

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Just received word from my Maria Felix, my angel in San Francisco-
My leopard is released!

Big thanks to Wayne Grant for making this hunt possible. And for putting the professional in PH

Thanks to

~Maria Felix, whose help was instrumental in shipping and keeping me sane.

~Mariëtte Dartnell, Worldwide Logistics, Johannesburg, South Africa, who performed flawlessly.

Wohoo!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems from the posts that if you do not want to take Shakari's advice; just go ahead to Africa and shoot whatever you can afford. If, for some reason, either of the two US Agencies gets a wild hair up their ass and will not let you bring your trophies in; then you get the people who are saying "no problems" to pitch in and buy you a house in some country where you can bribe the right people and get them in there. Or you learn to live just enjoying the pictures you took instead of having the actual trophies here in the US. Pretty simple, eh?
I am certain that a fedguv that cares so much about your rights would never do anything in an arbitrary or capricious manner.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote